[특별인터뷰: ‘반클라이번 우승’ 임윤찬] “마음으로 먼저 연주…위대한 음악이 원동력” > 문화

본문 바로가기

문화

[특별인터뷰: ‘반클라이번 우승’ 임윤찬] “마음으로 먼저 연주…위대한 음악이 원동력”
[Special interview: Lim Yoonchan, the winner of the semi-clivan] "Play with your heart first...""Great music is the driving force"

페이지 정보

작성자 이조은 작성일 22-06-29 01:00 댓글 0

본문

한국의 피아니스트 임윤찬 씨가 지난 12일 미국 텍사스주 포트워스에서 열린 반클라이번 콩쿠르 결선 무대에서 연주하고 있다.

한국의 피아니스트 임윤찬 씨가 지난 12일 미국 텍사스주 포트워스에서 열린 반클라이번 콩쿠르 결선 무대에서 연주하고 있다.
South Korean pianist Lim Yoon-chan is performing at the final stage of the anti-Claven Competition in Fort Worth, Texas, on the 12th.

세계적 권위의 국제 콩쿠르에서 최근 한국 젊은 클래식 연주자들의 활약이 이어지면서 한국 클래식 역시 세계적으로 각광받고 있습니다. 최근 세계 3대 피아노 경연으로 꼽히는 반 클라이번 콩쿠르에서는 18살의 한국인 임윤찬씨가 최연소 나이로 우승해 세계를 놀라게 했는데요. 뉴욕에 머물고 있는 임윤찬씨는 VOA와의 특별 인터뷰에서 담담한 우승 소감과 음악에 대한 열정을 전했습니다. 음악은 아픔의 순간에서 소통을 위해 태어난 것이라며 아리랑 즉흥 연주를 들려주기도 했습니다. 피아니스트 임윤찬씨를 이조은 기자가 인터뷰했습니다.
Korean classical music is also in the spotlight around the world as young Korean classical musicians continue to perform in the international competition, which is a world-renowned competition. In the recent Van Clyburn Competition, one of the world's top three piano competitions, 18-year-old Korean Lim Yoon-chan surprised the world by winning at the youngest age. In a special interview with VOA, Lim Yoon-chan, who is staying in New York, expressed his calm feelings about winning and passion for music. He also played Arirang improvisation, saying that music was born to communicate in the moment of pain. Reporter Lee Jo-eun interviewed pianist Lim Yoon-chan.

기자) 쏟아지는 관심에 정신이 없을 텐데요. 사실 지금 가장 하고 싶은 것은 무엇인가요?
Reporter: You must be distracted by a flood of attention. Actually, what do you want to do the most now?

임윤찬) 여러가지가 있는데요. 새 악보를 본다 거나 아니면 아예 쉬어 버리는 것이 가장 하고 싶고, 빨리 새로운 곡을 배워서 무대에 올리고 싶습니다.
There are many things. Watching new sheet music or taking a break is the most I want to do, and I want to learn a new song quickly and put it on stage.

기자) 콩쿠르 우승 직후 "굉장히 심란하고 당황스럽다"며 남다른 소감을 밝혔는데요. 어떤 의미죠?
Immediately after winning the competition, he said, "I'm very upset and embarrassed." What does it mean?

임윤찬) 왜냐면 저는 정말로 제가 이 콩쿠르를 접수할 때만 해도 이런 상을 받을 줄은 정말 상상도 못했고, 그리고 제가 또 굉장히 부족하다는 것을 제 자신이 알기 때문에 이 상을 제가 받게 되어서 굉장히 당황스러웠고 심란했고, 또 한편으로는 앞으로 있을 공연들이 좀. 준비를 이제부터 또 해야 겠다는 마음이 들어서 기쁘지는 않았다는 얘기였어요.
Because I never imagined that I would win this award when I took over the competition, and I know that I'm not good enough, so I was very flustered and upset that I got this award, and on the other hand, the upcoming performances were a bit. I was saying that I wasn't happy because I felt like I had to prepare again from now on.

기자) 결선곡인 라흐마니노프 피아노 협주곡 3번 연주는 전설에 남을 것이라는 찬사가 가득합니다. 이 곡을 굉장히 오래 공부하고 연습했을 텐데요. 이 과정에서 개인적으로 어떤 것을 배웠나요?
The final Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 3 is full of praise that it will remain a legend. You must have studied and practiced this song for a long time. What did you personally learn from this process?

임윤찬) 사실 라흐마니노프는 러시아의 바흐라고, 멜로디가 존재하고, 또 화성만 존재하는 것이 아니라 윗선율도 존재하고 중간선율의 노래도 존재하고 제일 아래 베이스도, 개개인의 보이스가 다 존재하는 음악이 라흐마니노프이기 때문에 정말 마디마디, 음 하나라도 놓치지 않으려고 많이 노력을 했고, 특히 라흐마니노프 3번이 저에게 줬던 가르침은 검토와 재검토와 또 재재검토를 거치는 어떤 뼈를 깎는 노력이 음악에서 필요하다는 것을 저에게 가르쳐줬습니다.
In fact, Rachmaninov is Russian Bach, melody exists, harmony exists, upper melody exists, mid melody exists, and the bass exists, so he tried hard not to miss a single note. Especially, Rachmaninov taught me to review and review music.

기자) 과거 다른 인터뷰에서 산에 들어가서 피아노만 치고 살고 싶다는 말을 한 적이 있는데요.
In another interview in the past, I said that I wanted to go into the mountains and play the piano.

임윤찬) 사실 그 의미는 제가 정말로 산에 들어가겠다는 얘기는 아니고요. 사실 이 음악도 어쨌든 어떤 상업적인 것이기 때문에, 제가 어렸을 적부터 믿어왔던 것은, 이 음악만이 좋아서 피아노를 시작했는데 제가 어느 순간부터 많은 것을 보고 현실적인 것을 보다 보니까 결국 음악은 어쩔 수 없이 상업적인 것이 떨어질 수가 없다는 것을 깨달아서, 모든 것을 보려고 음악과 함께 살고 싶다는 것을 산에 들어가서 살고 싶다고 얘기했던 것이예요.
Lim Yoon-chan: Actually, that doesn't mean that I'm really going to go into the mountains. In fact, because it's a commercial thing, I've believed since I was a kid that I started playing the piano because I liked it, but at some point I saw a lot of things, and I realized that I couldn't help but want to live in the mountains to see everything.

기자) 피아노에 대한 가장 처음의 기억, 혹은 기억할 수 있는 가장 오래 전의 기억은 무엇인가요?
What is the earliest memory of the piano, or the oldest memory you can remember?

임윤찬) 제가 항상 조금 반항을 하는 어떤 그런 알 수 없는 것이 있어서, 항상 선생님께서 이 곡을 해오라고 하면 저는 제가 그 곡이 음악적으로 와닿지 않거나 마음에 안 들어서, 항상 선생님이 이거는 너한테 어렵거나 네가 이해하기 어렵다라고 했던 곡을 항상 그 다음 주에 가져가고, 항상 도전하고 싶은 마음이 컸어서, 어렸을 때는 그런 기억이 가장 나고. 피아노를 처음 만졌을 때의 기억은 사실은 기억이 안 나고. 제가 존경하는 몇 분들의 인터뷰를 보면 건반을 누르면 소리가 나는 것이 신기하다고, 그런 인간이 느낄 수 있는 정말 위대한 감정을, 느꼈던 감정을 인터뷰에서 얘기하신 것을 본적이 있는데 저는 사실 그런 것은 기억이 안 나고, 제가 표현하고 싶은 것을 피아노를 통해서 할 수 있다는 것이 가장 기억에 남았던 것 같아요.
Lim Yoonchan: I always rebel a little. Whenever my teacher asks me to sing this song, I don't like it. I always take the song that he said was difficult for you or difficult for you to understand. I always wanted to challenge it. That's what I remember the most. I don't remember when I first touched the piano. In interviews with some of my admirers, I've seen them say that it's amazing to hear the sound when you press the keyboard. I don't really remember that, but I think the most memorable thing was that I could express what I wanted to express through the piano.

기자) 음악인들은 연주를 할 때 청각 말고도 5가지 감각을 통해 제각각으로 소리를 느낀다고 하는데요. 본인은 소리를 청각 외에도 어떤 감각으로 느끼나요?
When musicians play, they feel different sounds through five senses besides hearing. How do you feel sound other than hearing?

임윤찬) 사실 이 피아노를 하고 무대에 서고 하면서 느끼는 것은, 사실 피아노 소리는 마음으로 듣는 것이고, 사실 믿기 힘드실 수도 있겠지만 마음으로, 피아노를 연주하기 전에 마음으로 그 소리를 떠올리고 연주를 하면 그 소리가 사실 나는 경우가 꽤 많기 때문에, 귀로 어떻게든 해보려고 하는 것도 도움이 된다고 생각하지만 사실 이 마음으로부터 나오는 것이 가장 중요하다고 생각합니다.
Actually, what I feel while playing the piano and performing on stage is listening to the piano with my heart. It's hard to believe, but if you think about the sound with your heart and mind before playing the piano, I think it's helpful to try something with your ears.

기자) 많은 음악인들이 그렇듯이 매일 엄청난 양의 연습에도 만족하기 어려울 텐데요. 다시 건반에 손을 올리게 하는 힘은 어디서 오고, 그렇게 다시 시작하게 되는 이유는 무엇인가요?
Like many musicians, it's hard to be satisfied with a huge amount of practice every day. Where does the power to put your hand back on the keyboard come from, and why do you start all over again?

임윤찬) 모든 것은 다 마음에서 오는데, 가장 저에게 힘이 되는 것은 뭐 예를 들어서 너무 위대한 음악이 존재하기 때문에 그것이 존재한다면은 제가 계속 할 수 있는 원동력이 될 것이고. 그리고 사실 음악가는 혼자 연습하는 것이어서 굉장히 외롭고 고독한데, 그럼에도 불구하고 이 끈을 놓지 않게 응원해주시는 분들 덕분에 제가 이렇게 하고 있는 것 같습니다.
Lim Yoon-chan: Everything comes from the heart, but the thing that gives me the most strength is, for example, because there is such great music, if it exists, it will be the driving force for me to continue. In fact, musicians practice alone, so I'm very lonely and lonely. But I think I'm doing this because of the people who don't let go of the string.

기자) 음악이란 본인에게 무엇인가요?
What is music to you?

임윤찬) 사실 음악이라는 것은 근본적으로는 소통을 하기 위해서, 인간이 언어를 하지 못했을 때 음악을 통해서 소통을 하고, 인간이 가장 아픈, 시련이라고는 표현하고 싶지 않은데, 가장 깊은 아픔을 겪었을 때 그때 음악이 탄생하는 것이고. 예를 들어서 베토벤을 생각할 수도 있고, 너무 많은 작곡가들이 어떤 시련과 고통 속에서 얼마나 많은 위대한 창작물을 냈는지 저희들은 모두 알고 있고. 사실 그런 것들이 설명하는 것이 무엇이냐 하면 결국은 음악은 소통을 하기 위해서 하는 것이고, 이 아픔에서 태어난 음악을 듣고서 아픔을 위로 하는 것이기 때문에. 다른 분들의 인터뷰를 보면 ‘음악을 통해서 위로를 주고 싶어요’ 이런 식으로 간단하게 얘기하고 싶지는 않고. 정말 이 음악은 아픔에서 태어났기 때문에 이 음악을 소통해서 듣는 분들이 무언가를 얻어갈 수 있다면 저는 그것에 만족합니다.
In fact, music is basically about communication. When humans can't speak a language, we communicate through music. I don't want to describe it as the most painful, the most painful, the most painful, the most painful, the music is born. For example, you can think of Beethoven, and we all know how many great creations so many composers have produced in some kind of ordeal and pain. In fact, what they explain is that in the end, music is for communication, and listening to music born from this pain and comforting the pain. When you look at other people's interviews, you don't want to simply say, "I want to comfort you through music." This music was born out of pain, so I'm satisfied with it if the listeners can get something by communicating this music.

기자) 관중이 항상 따라다니는데, 관중에게는 어떻게 기억되는 연주자가 되고 싶나요?
How do you want to be a performer who is remembered by the audience when the audience always follows you?

임윤찬) 제가 가장 좋아하는 피아니스트 중에 유리 에고로프가 한 얘기가, 자기가 이 세상을 떠났을 때 자기는 그저 음악적으로 시적이고, 항상 어떻게 보면 음악적으로, 음악만을 위해서 살아왔던 사람인데, 음악을 위해 살았던 사람으로 기억되고 싶다, 그런 내용의 말이 있었는데. 저는 그런 유리 에고로프가 하셨던 말처럼, 그렇게 기억되기를 바랍니다.
Among my favorite pianists, Yuri Egorov said that when he passed away, he wanted to be remembered as a person who was musically poetic and had always lived for music. I hope, as Yuri Egorov once said, that's what I want to remember.

기자) 임윤찬씨의 이번 콩쿠르 연주를 보고 어떤 분들은 더 이상 콩쿠르가 필요 없는 연주자라는 얘기까지 해요. 앞으로의 단기, 중단기, 장기 계획은 무엇인가요?
After watching Lim Yoon-chan's concert, some even say that he is a performer who doesn't need a concert anymore. What are your short-term, medium-term, and long-term plans for the future?

임윤찬) 사실 제가 뭐 오늘 당장 죽을지도 모르고, 다음 주에 죽을지는 저도 모르겠지만, 제가 원하는 것은 작곡가들이 남긴, 작곡가마다 굉장히 중요한 곡이 있는데, 예를 들어 바흐는 골드베르크, 평균율, 그리고 베토벤은 베토벤 소나타가 있을 것이고, 모짜르트는 또 모짜르트 소타나가 있을 것이고. 그런 곡들을 다 해가는 것이 단기든 중단기든 장기적으로 봤을 때도 제 목표는 그것일 것 같아요.
Actually, I don't know if I'm going to die today or next week, but what I want is that each composer has a very important piece, like Bach, Goldberg, Average Rate, Beethoven, Beethoven, Beethoven, Mozart, and Mozart. I think that's my goal in the long run, whether it's short-term or mid-term, to do all those songs.

기자) 골드베르크 얘기를 하셨는데요. 첫 단독 앨범을 한다면 글렌 굴드의 데뷔 음반인 바흐의 골드베르크 베리에이션을 하고 싶다는 얘기를 한 적이 있어요. 여전히 같은 생각인가요?
You talked about Goldberg. I once said that if I were to release my first solo album, I would like to do a Goldberg variation of Bach's debut album. Do you still feel the same way?

임윤찬) 일단은 제가 이 곡을, 초등학교 2학년 때 제가 예술의전당 아카데미라는 곳에 처음 들어가서 본격적으로 피아노를 치기 시작했는데, 그때 예브게니 키신의 쇼팽 앨범과 더불어서 글렌 굴드의 바흐 앨범을 샀었는데, 그 앨범이 바로 골드베르크 베리에이션이였고. 저는 그때 골드베르크 베리에이션이 무엇인지 몰랐기 때문에 무턱대고 들었는데 너무 좋아서 하루종일 틀어놓고 들었는데, 그렇게 대단한 곡인 줄은 제가 그때 몰랐는데, 너무 좋아서. 제가 거의 뭐 10년 동안 그런 얘기를 했던 것 같은데. 인터내셔널 음반으로 나오게 된다면 당연히 골드베르크, 내고는 싶지만 뭐 현실은 다르기 때문에 어떻게 될지는 모르겠지만, 제 소망은 항상 골드베르크가 들어가 있습니다.
First of all, when I was in the 2nd grade of elementary school, I entered the Academy of Arts and started playing the piano. I bought Glenn Gould's Bach album along with Yevgeny Kissin's Chopin album, which was Goldberg Variation. I didn't know what the Goldberg variation was at the time, so I listened to it recklessly. It was so good that I played it all day long. I didn't know it was such an amazing song then, but it was so much. I think I talked about this for almost 10 years. If it comes out as an international album, of course, I want to release Goldberg, but I don't know what will happen because the reality is different, but my wish is always Goldberg.

기자) 최근 세계적 권위의 콩쿠르에서 한국인들이 연달아 수상하면서 K클래식이라는 말까지 나오는데요. 임윤찬씨를 롤 모델로 삼고 꿈을 키우는 한국의 젊은 음악인들에게 어떤 얘기를 해주고 싶은가요?
Recently, Koreans have won a series of awards at world-renowned competitions, and some even say it is K-class. What would you like to say to young Korean musicians who have Lim Yoon-chan as their role model and dream?

임윤찬) 사실은 저를 롤 모델로 삼으면 정말 미래가 어둡고 정말 발전의 계기가 없을 것 같아서, 제발 저를 롤 모델로 삼지 말아달라는 얘기를 해주고 싶고요. 저는 사실은 한국에는 있었지만 제 마음은 1900년도로 돌아가서 위대한 피아니스트들과 함께 했는데, 예를 들어서 세르게이 라흐마니노프가 연주하는 쇼팽 앨범, 제가 초등학교 2학년 때부터 그 앨범이 항상 제 마음 속에 따라 다녔고, 호로비츠도 있을 것이고. 제가 개인적으로는 올드 러시안 스쿨 음악을 굉장히 좋아하는데, 그분들이 연주했던, 연주를 사실 유튜브에서 굉장히 쉽게 찾아볼 수 있어서, 제가 잠을 자고 있는 곳은 한국이지만 제 정신은 1900년도에 있었기 때문에, K클래식 이런 말은 잘 모르겠고, 제 정신은 그 쪽에 있었다고.
Lim Yoon-chan: Actually, if you use me as your role model, I think the future is really dark and there will be no opportunity for development, so I want to tell you not to use me as your role model. I was actually in Korea, but my heart went back to 1900 and I was with great pianists, for example, a Chopin album played by Sergei Rachmaninoff, which I've always followed since I was in the second grade of elementary school, and Horowitz. Personally, I really like Old Russian School music, and I can see their performance on YouTube very easily, so I'm sleeping in Korea, but my mind was in 1900, so I don't know about K-classic, and my mind was there.

기자) 자신을 롤 모델로 삼지 말아달라고요?
Reporter: Don't use yourself as a role model?

임윤찬) 왜냐하면 제가 사실은 지난 3년 동안 집안에서 매일 6시간, 7시간 연습하면서 굉장한 시행 착오가 있었고, 굉장히 우울감과 자괴감도 들었을 때가 있었고, 3년이란 시간은 굉장히 긴 시간이거든요. 그런 제 모습을 스스로 되돌아보면서 만약에, 만약에 그런 분들이 만약에 정말 있다면 정말 저처럼 살면 안 되고, 저는 3년 동안 정말 우울함의 연속이었기 때문에, 그렇게 살면 안 된다고 얘기해주고 싶습니다.
Because over the past three years, I've been practicing for 6 or 7 hours every day at home, and I've had a lot of trial and error, and I've felt very depressed and ashamed, and three years is a very long time. I want to look back on myself and tell you that if there are people like that, you shouldn't live like me, and I've been really depressed for three years, so I shouldn't live like that.

기자) 그런 우울함이 오히려 원동력이 되지 않았을까요?
Wouldn't that depression have been the driving force?

임윤찬) 저는 모르겠는데, 아무래도 피아노라는 것이 매일 혼자, 특히 몇 평 밖에 안 되는, 정말 연습실이 너무 좁고 너무 덥고, 심지어 무늬도 없고, 제 연습실은 특히 회색으로 뒤덮여 있는데, 거기서 3년 동안 매일을 7시간을 그러니까, 제 정신이 완전, 중간에 번아웃이 돼서 굉장히 힘들었었죠.
I don't know. The piano was just a few pyeong, but the practice room was so small and hot, and there was no pattern, and my practice room was especially gray. For three years, I spent seven hours every day. My mind burned out.

기자) VOA는 북한에도 방송을 해요. 음악이 국경을 넘어 어떤 역할을 할 수 있다고 생각하세요?
VOA also broadcasts in North Korea. What role do you think music can play across borders?

임윤찬) 제가 아까 얘기한 것과 비슷한데요. 결국 음악은 소통을 하기 위해서 태어났고 아픔을 치료하기 위해서 태어났기 때문에, 어떤 막강한 것이, 바이러스라든지, 그런 것들이 우리 음악을 없애려고 해도 음악은 결국 근본적으로 그렇게 태어났기 때문에, 인종을 떠나서 모든 사람들이 오래된 클래식 음악을 이해할 수 있는 이유라고 생각해요.
It's similar to what I said earlier. In the end, music was born to communicate and to heal pain, so I think that's why even if something powerful, like viruses, or something like that tried to get rid of our music, music was born that way, so everyone, apart from race, could understand old classical music.

지금까지 피아니스트 임윤찬씨로부터 음악과 음악인으로서의 삶에 대해 들어봤습니다. 인터뷰에 이조은 기자였습니다.
So far, I have heard about music and life as a musician from pianist Lim Yoon-chan. I was reporter Lee Jo-eun for the interview.

출처 : VOA한국

댓글목록 0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

깨다커뮤니케이션 | 서울 서초구 방배중앙로 401호
광고 및 제휴문의 : [email protected]
Copyright © 깨다닷컴. All rights reserved.