[인터뷰: 스나이더 KEI 차기 소장] “미한 경제안보 강화 위해 노력할 것” > 경제

본문 바로가기

경제

[인터뷰: 스나이더 KEI 차기 소장] “미한 경제안보 강화 위해 노력할 것”
[Interview: Snyder, the next director of KEI] "We will make efforts to strengthen U.S. economic security."

페이지 정보

작성자 조은정 작성일 23-10-31 01:40 댓글 0

본문

워싱턴의 싱크탱크인 한미경제연구소(KEI) 차기 소장으로 임명된 스콧 스나이더 미 외교협회 미한정책국장.

워싱턴의 싱크탱크인 한미경제연구소(KEI) 차기 소장으로 임명된 스콧 스나이더 미 외교협회 미한정책국장.
Scott Snyder, director of the U.S. Foreign Relations Association, was appointed as the next director of the Korea Economic Institute (KEI), a think tank in Washington.

워싱턴의 싱크탱크인 한미경제연구소(KEI) 차기 소장으로 스콧 스나이더 미 외교협회 미한정책국장을 발탁했습니다. 스나이더 차기 소장은 KEI의 인사 발표 직후 VOA와의 인터뷰에서 자신의 임기 동안 미한 경제안보 강화를 위해 노력할 것이라고 밝혔습니다. 예산 지원을 하는 한국 정부의 영향력으로부터 자유로울 수 있느냐는 질문에는 KEI가 미국 정부에 특정 사안에 대해 로비하지 않는다고 답했습니다. 조은정 기자가 스나이더 차기 KEI 소장을 전화로 인터뷰했습니다.
Scott Snyder, director of the U.S. Foreign Relations Association, has been appointed as the next director of the Korea-U.S. Economic Institute (KEI), a think tank in Washington. In an interview with VOA shortly after the KEI's personnel announcement, Snyder, the next director, said he would work to strengthen U.S. economic security during his term. Asked if he could be free from the influence of the Korean government, which supports the budget, he replied that the KEI does not lobby the U.S. government on certain issues. Reporter Cho Eun-jung interviewed Snyder, the next KEI director, by phone.

기자) 한미경제연구소(KEI)의 새 소장으로 임명되셨습니다. 내년 4월에 취임하실 예정인데 어떤 목표를 가지고 계십니까?
Reporter: You've been appointed as the new director of the Korea Economic Institute (KEI). You will be inaugurated in April next year, what are your goals?

스나이더 소장) 지금이 미한 관계에 있어 기회의 순간입니다. 지난 4월 윤석열 대통령의 국빈 방미에서 확인할 수 있었죠. 한미경제연구소(KEI)의 역할은 양국 관계를 심화하고 강화하는 것을 돕는 것입니다. KEI는 미국인들이 한국을 더 잘 이해할 수 있도록 돕는 여러 프로그램을 갖고 있고, 미국과 한국 관리들의 유대 강화를 위해서도 노력하고 있습니다. 앞으로는 다양한 프로그램을 통해 미한 간 경제안보 강화를 위해 노력하고 싶습니다. 최근 미한 정상회담 공동성명을 기반으로 새로운 경제협력 분야가 발견되고 있습니다. 이러한 협력을 실제로 실현하는데 도움이 되는 연구를 KEI가 의뢰할 수 있다고 생각합니다.
[Director Snyder] This is a moment of opportunity in a beautiful relationship. It was confirmed during Yoon Suk Yeol's state visit to the U.S. in April. The role of the Korea-U.S. Economic Institute (KEI) is to help deepen and strengthen bilateral relations. The KEI has several programs to help Americans better understand Korea and is also working to strengthen ties between U.S. and Korean officials. In the future, I would like to make efforts to strengthen economic security between the U.S. and South Korea through various programs. A new area of economic cooperation is being discovered based on the recent joint statement of the U.S.-South Korea summit. I think the KEI can commission research to help realize this cooperation.

기자) 과거 KEI 소장들은 미국 정부나 미국 의회 경력이 있습니다. 스나이더 차기 소장은 학계 출신인데요. 미국이나 한국 정부에 정책 제언을 할 때 전임 소장들과 어떻게 차별화 될까요?
[Reporter] Past KEI chiefs have had experience in the United States government or Congress. Snyder, the next director, is from academia. How do you differentiate yourself from your predecessors when you make policy suggestions to the U.S. or Korean governments?

스나이더 소장) 글쎄요 제가 얼마나 특별히 다를지는 모르겠습니다. 대답하기 어려운 질문이지만 분명히 저는 정부나 의회보다는 싱크탱크 커뮤니티 출신입니다. 그 경험을 살려서 KEI를 도울 방법이 있다고 생각합니다.
Director Snyder) Well, I don't know how particularly different I would be. It is a difficult question to answer, but obviously I come from the think tank community rather than the Government or Parliament. I think there is a way to help KEI by utilizing the experience.

기자) KEI가 한국 정부로부터 예산 지원을 받기 때문에 그 영향을 받을 수 있다는 지적도 있습니다. 어떻게 균형적이고 객관적인 시각을 유지할 수 있을까요?
Some point out that KEI could be affected because it receives budget support from the Korean government. How do you maintain a balanced and objective perspective?

스나이더 소장) 제게는 쉬운 문제입니다. 지금까지 해 왔던 대로 균형 잡히고 객관적인 분석을 계속 제공할 것이기 때문입니다. 또 제가 항상 견지해온 입장인 ‘한국의 친구’로서 그렇게 할 것입니다. 객관적이고 균형 잡힌 방식으로, 또 필요할 때는 솔직하게 KEI의 역할을 수행할 수 있다고 봅니다. 저는 미한 양측의 다양한 이해관계자들에게 모든 문제에 대해 객관적인 견해를 제시할 것입니다.
Major General Snyder) It's a no-brainer for me. Because we will continue to provide balanced and objective analysis as we have done so far. Also, I will do so as a 'friend of Korea', which I have always maintained. I think we can play the role of KEI in an objective and balanced way and honestly when necessary. I will present objective views on all issues to various stakeholders on both sides of the United States.

기자) 한국 정부의 자금 지원을 받기 때문에 한국 정부의 영향을 받지 않을 수 없다라는 지적에 대해서는 어떻게 생각하십니까?
Reporter) What do you think about the point that it is inevitable that it is funded by the Korean government and is influenced by the Korean government?

스나이더 소장) 자금의 출처가 어디인지 알고 있습니다만 어떤 당이 정권을 잡았는지를 떠나서 한국 정부가 KEI로부터 무엇을 기대할 수 있을 지 알고 있다고 봅니다. KEI는 어떤 특정한 사안에 대해 미국 정부에 로비를 하지 않습니다. 오히려 특정 사안에 대한 미국 내 이해를 높이는데 도움을 줍니다. 또 한국 정부 관리들이 미국의 관점에 대해 더 알고 싶어하는 부분에 대해 정보와 분석을 제공하는 데 도움을 주고 있습니다.
I know where the funds come from, but I think I know what the Korean government can expect from KEI, regardless of which party is in power. KEI does not lobby the U.S. government on any particular issue. Rather, it helps to increase understanding of certain issues in the United States. It also helps Korean officials provide information and analysis on areas they want to learn more about the U.S. perspective.

기자) 미한 경제안보 강화에 중점을 둘 것이라고 하셨는데요. 지난 한 해 동안 미국 인플레이션감축법이 양국 간 가장 첨예한 현안이었죠. 한국과 미국은 상충하는 경제적 이해관계를 어떻게 조정할 수 있을까요? 특히 한국은 여전히 중국에 대한 경제적 의존도가 높은데요.
Reporter: You said you would focus on strengthening economic security in the United States. The U.S. Inflation Reduction Act has been the sharpest issue between the two countries over the past year. How can Korea and the United States reconcile conflicting economic interests? In particular, Korea is still highly dependent on China.

스나이더 소장) 양국 정부는 반도체 등 가장 민감한 문제들에 대해서는 이미 이해관계를 조율했다고 봅니다. 더 큰 틀에서 보면, 진정한 시험은 한국의 대미 투자가 일부 한국 기업들의 중국 의존도를 실제로 대체할 수 있을지에 달려 있다고 봅니다. 다만 중국과 관련된 경제 문제들이 미한 간 협력을 제한하지는 않는다고 봅니다.
Director Snyder) I think the two governments have already coordinated their interests on the most sensitive issues, such as semiconductors. From a broader perspective, the real test depends on whether Korea's investment in the U.S. can actually replace some Korean companies' dependence on China. However, I don't think economic issues related to China limit cooperation between the U.S. and South Korea.

기자) 조현동 주미 한국대사는 최근 미국 내에서 “북핵 해결을 위한 대화가 필요하다는 논의가 과거보다 점점 작아지는 것을 피부로 느낀다”고 말했습니다. 미국에서 북한 비핵화 대화에 관심이 없다면 정책적 대안은 무엇일까요? 지금 시점에서 미국과 한국은 어떤 대북 접근법을 취해야 합니까?
Reporter) Cho Hyun-dong, Korean Ambassador to the U.S., recently said in the U.S., "I feel that the discussion that there is a need for dialogue to resolve the North Korean nuclear issue is getting smaller than in the past." If the U.S. is not interested in denuclearizing North Korea, what would be the policy alternative? What approach should the U.S. and South Korea take to North Korea at this point?

스나이더 소장) 미국과 북한 간 교착상태가 장기화되고 있고 이는 한국의 안보와도 관련이 있습니다. 그리고 더 광범위한 지정학적 환경에 비춰볼 때에도 북한 문제는 무시할 수 없으며, 미국과 한국 간 지속적인 논의와 조율의 대상이 될 것이라고 생각합니다. 그리고 실제로 지난 수십 년 동안 북한의 위협으로 인해 미국과 한국의 관계가 더욱 깊어지고 긴밀해 졌으며 제도화됐습니다.
Snyder: There is a prolonged standoff between the United States and North Korea, which has to do with South Korea's security. And even in light of the broader geopolitical environment, the North Korean issue cannot be ignored, and I think it will be the subject of continuous discussion and coordination between the United States and South Korea. And indeed, over the past few decades, the threat from North Korea has deepened, strengthened and institutionalized relations between the United States and South Korea.

기자) 일부 미국 정치인들은 ‘미국 우선주의’ 정책을 지지하면서 세계 경찰로서 미국의 역할에 회의적인 입장을 나타내고 있습니다. 한국도 정권에 따라 미국보다는 중국이나 북한을 더 우선시하는 경향을 보이기도 합니다. 미한 동맹이 양측의 이러한 정치적 압박을 견딜 수 있을까요? 곧 출간하시는 책에서도 이런 부분을 다루시죠?
Reporter: Some American politicians are skeptical of America's role as the world's police force, supporting the "America First" policy. Depending on the administration, South Korea also tends to prioritize China and North Korea over the United States. Can the U.S.-Korea alliance withstand this political pressure from both sides? You're dealing with this in your upcoming book, right?

스나이더 소장) 그러한 압박을 견뎌내는 것이 양국에 이익이 됩니다. 맞습니다. 곧 출간할 제 책은 양극화된 국내 정치의 맥락에서 배타적 민족주의를 추구할 때의 위험과 비용을 자세히 살펴봅니다. 제 연구의 주요 초점은 미국이나 한국이 동맹을 기반으로 한 접근방식을 추구하기보다는 단독 접근방식을 추구할 때 증가하는 비용과 위험에 대한 것입니다. 저는 미한 동맹이 앞으로도 긴밀한 관계를 계속 지속해야 한다는 논리적 근거를 제시했습니다.
Major General Snyder) It is in the interest of both countries to withstand such pressure. That's right. My upcoming book takes a closer look at the risks and costs of pursuing exclusive nationalism in the context of polarized domestic politics. The main focus of my research is on the increasing costs and risks when the United States or South Korea pursue a standalone approach rather than an alliance-based approach. I have provided a logical basis for the US-South Korea alliance to continue its close relationship in the future.

지금까지 조은정 기자가 스콧 스나이더 차기 KEI 소장으로부터 활동 목표와 미한 동맹에 대해 들어봤습니다.
So far, reporter Cho Eun-jung has heard from the next KEI director Scott Snyder about his goal of action and the U.S.-Korea alliance.

Forum
Forum

출처 : VOA한국

댓글목록 0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

깨다커뮤니케이션 | 서울 서초구 방배중앙로 401호
광고 및 제휴문의 : [email protected]
Copyright © 깨다닷컴. All rights reserved.