잠비아인들은 거대한 영국계 미국인을 납 중독으로 고소합니다. > 세계

본문 바로가기

세계

잠비아인들은 거대한 영국계 미국인을 납 중독으로 고소합니다.
Zambians to Sue Mining Giant Anglo American for Lead Poisoning

페이지 정보

작성자 Kathy Short 작성일 22-12-01 12:04 댓글 0

본문

Former colonial-era lead mine in Kabwe, Zimbia. South African and British lawyers filed a class action lawsuit against mining giant Anglo American over lead poisoning in Kabwe.

짐비아의 카브웨에 있는 식민지 시대의 납 광산입니다. 남아프리카 공화국과 영국의 변호사들은 거대 광산회사인 앵글로 아메리칸사를 상대로 카브웨에서의 납 중독과 관련한 집단 소송을 제기했습니다.
 Former colonial-era lead mine in Kabwe, Zimbia. South African and British lawyers filed a class action lawsuit against mining giant Anglo American over lead poisoning in Kabwe.

Kabwe — 입니다.
KABWE —

남아프리카 법원은 지난 주 잠비아의 거대 광산회사인 앵글로 아메리칸사를 상대로 한 집단소송에 유엔 전문가들이 개입할 수 있다고 판결했습니다. 남아프리카와 영국의 변호사들은 식민지 시대 납 광산으로 인해 건강이 손상된 것으로 알려진 약 14만 명의 잠비아 어린이들과 여성들을 대신하여 소송을 제기했습니다. 앵글로 아메리칸은 1920년대부터 1970년대까지 연루되었던 카브베 광산에서의 불법 행위를 부인해 왔습니다.
A court in South Africa last week ruled that U.N. experts can intervene in a class action lawsuit against mining giant Anglo American over lead poisoning in Zambia. South African and British lawyers filed the lawsuit on behalf of about 140,000 Zambian children and women whose health was allegedly damaged by a colonial-era lead mine. Anglo American has denied wrongdoing at the Kabwe mine, which it was involved in from the 1920s to 1970s.

오늘 아침 카브웨의 Chowa 마을은 바쁜 아침입니다. 겉보기에는 평범한 잠비아 마을처럼 보입니다.
It’s a busy morning in Chowa township in Kabwe, which on the surface looks like an ordinary Zambian town.

그러나 인권 전문가들과 변호사들은 세계에서 납 중독으로 가장 오염된 지역 중 하나가 카브웨라고 말합니다.
But rights experts and lawyers say Kabwe is one of the areas in the world most polluted by lead poisoning.

Rachel and David Kutayaya with their children Ruby and Hans at their home in Chowa, Kabwe, Zambia

Rachel과 David Kutaya는 자녀 Ruby와 Hans와 함께 잠비아 Kabwe의 Chowa에 있는 그들의 집에 있습니다.
 Rachel and David Kutayaya with their children Ruby and Hans at their home in Chowa, Kabwe, Zambia

레이첼 쿠타야 씨는 12세, 14세, 16세의 세 아들이 납 때문에 병에 걸렸지만 그녀는 실직 상태여서 치료를 받을 여유가 없다고 말했습니다.
Rachel Kutayaya said her three boys, aged 12, 14, and 16, were sickened by lead but she’s unemployed and can’t afford treatment.

Kutaya는 토마토를 팔면서 일주일에 20달러를 버는 것으로 아이들을 먹여 살리기 위해 고군분투합니다.
Kutayaya struggles to feed her kids with the $20 she makes per week selling tomatoes.

그녀는 그녀의 아이들의 아이큐가 영향을 받았다고 말했습니다. 학교에서는 집중력이 떨어져 성적이 떨어진다고 쿠타야 씨는 말합니다. 그녀는 그들 중 한 명이 종종 위에 문제가 있다며 납 중독을 탓한다고 말합니다.
She said her children’s IQs have been affected. In school, Kutayaya says, they do not focus well, so their performance is poor. She says one of them often has stomach problems and blames lead poisoning.

영국에 본사를 둔 인권 법률 회사인 레이 데이는 14만명의 잠비아 어린이들과 가임 연령의 여성들이 식민지 시대의 카불 납 광산으로 인해 병에 걸린 것으로 추정하고 있습니다.
Britain-based rights law firm Leigh Day estimates 140,000 Zambian children and women of childbearing age were sickened by the colonial-era lead mine in Kabwe.

이들은 2020년부터 남아프리카공화국 법원에서 광산 대기업 앵글로 아메리칸을 상대로 납중독에 대한 집단소송을 진행하고 있습니다.
They’ve been seeking a class action lawsuit since 2020 for lead poisoning at the mine against mining giant Anglo American in a court in South Africa.

이 소송은 앵글로 아메리칸이 남아프리카에 사무실을 가지고 있고 잠비아 법은 집단 소송을 허용하지 않기 때문에 남아프리카에서 제기되었습니다.
The lawsuit was filed in South Africa because Anglo American has offices there and Zambian law does not allow class action lawsuits.

소송은 피해자들의 납중독이 1920년대부터 1970년대까지 광산에서 발생한 광산공사의 오염 때문이라고 주장하며 배상을 청구하고 있습니다.
The lawsuit alleges the victims’ lead poisoning was due to the mining corporation’s pollution at the mine from the 1920s to 1970s and is seeking reparations.

앵글로 아메리칸은 VOA와의 인터뷰를 거부했지만 이메일로 보낸 성명에서 납 중독에 대한 책임을 거듭 부인했습니다.
Anglo American declined to do an interview with VOA but in an emailed statement repeated denial of responsibility for any lead poisoning.

시부시소 차발라 대변인은 앵글로 아메리칸사는 직원 건강을 책임지고 있는 잠비아 브로큰힐 개발회사가 운영하는 광산에서 1974년까지 주주였을 뿐이라고 말했습니다.
Spokesperson Sibusiso Tshabala said Anglo American was just a shareholder until 1974 in the mine, which was operated by Zambia Broken Hill Development Company, who were responsible for employee health.

잠비아 정부와 다양한 단체들은 1974년부터 1994년에 폐쇄될 때까지 광산을 운영했습니다.
The Zambian government and various entities ran the mine from 1974 until it was closed in 1994.

Chabala는 이 소송을 기회주의적이라고 부르며 앵글로 아메리칸을 선별하는 상업적 동기를 암시했습니다.
Tshabala called the lawsuit opportunistic and implied a commercial motive in singling out Anglo American.

카브웨 지역사회 대표 배리 멀림바는 그들이 단순히 정의를 원한다고 말했습니다.
Kabwe community representative Barry Mulimba said they simply want justice.

그는 "우리가 찾고 있는 것은 보상을 받아야 할 영향을 받는 가족들과 아마도 이 납 중독이 발생하는 지역을 치료할 수 있도록 개선책을 제공하기 위해 이곳 카바디에서 채굴을 시작한 회사일 것"이라고 말했습니다.
“What we are looking for is the families that are affected to be compensated and probably the company that started mining here in Kabwe to provide remedial measures so that the areas where this lead poisoning is coming from could be treated,” he said.

남아프리카 법원은 11월 25일, 유엔 전문가들이 집단 소송이 진행될 수 있는지 여부를 결정할 1월의 법원 청문회에서 그들의 결과를 제출할 수 있다고 판결했습니다.
The South African court ruled on November 25 that UN experts could submit their findings at a court hearing in January that will decide if the class action lawsuit can go ahead.

리 데이의 변호사들은 인터뷰 요청을 거절했지만 VOA에 이메일로 보낸 공동 성명에서 판결을 환영했습니다.
Lawyers for Leigh Day declined an interview request but welcomed the judgment in a joint statement emailed to VOA.

이 보고서는 "카리브 납 중독 피해자들에 대한 기업의 법적 책임과 정의에 대한 접근은 수 세대에 걸쳐 탁월했으며 가장 중요합니다."라고 말했습니다.
It said, “corporate legal accountability and access to justice for the Kabwe lead poisoning victims has been outstanding for generations and is of paramount importance.”

앵글로 아메리칸은 이미 국제사면위원회와 남아프리카 소송 센터의 개입에 동의했습니다.
Anglo American had already agreed to interventions by Amnesty International and the Southern Africa Litigation Center.

휴먼 라이츠 워치는 유엔 전문가들이 이 사건에 개입할 수 있도록 신청서를 제출했습니다.
Human Rights Watch submitted the application to allow U.N. experts to intervene in the case.

인권단체는 카브웨 광산 주변 마을의 토양에서 납 농도가 국제기준치의 150배 이상이라고 밝혔습니다.
The rights group says soil in the townships surrounding the Kabwe mine has concentrations of lead more than 150 times higher than the recommended international standard.

2019년부터 잠비아 정부는 세계은행이 지원하는 6천만 달러 규모의 프로젝트를 지원하여 피해 지역사회에 의료 지원을 제공하고 있습니다.
Since 2019, the Zambian government supports a $60 million World Bank-funded project to provide medical help to the affected communities.

Gideon Ndalama는 잠비아 광산 환경 개선 프로젝트를 위한 국가 조정자입니다.
Gideon Ndalama is the National Coordinator for the Zambia Mining Environmental Remediation and Improvement project.

그는 지금까지 10,000명 이상의 여성과 어린이들이 치료를 받았다고 말했습니다.
He said more than 10,000 women and children have been treated so far.

Ndalama는 "우리는 개입을 지원하기 위해 납 테스트 키트와 카브웨이의 4개 보건소에서 사용 중인 납 진단 키트를 구입했습니다."라고 말했습니다.
“We procured lead test kits to support the interventions as well as lead diagnostic kits that are being used in four health centers in Kabwe,” said Ndalama.

유엔 인권 및 환경 특별 보고관의 3월 보고서에 따르면, 카바디는 세계에서 가장 오염이 심한 50개 지역 중 하나로 꼽혔습니다.
A March report by the U.N. Special Rapporteur on human rights and the environment report listed Kabwe as one of the world’s 50 most polluted places on earth.

그것은 카브웨 어린이의 95%가 납 채굴과 제련으로 인한 혈중 납 농도 상승으로 인해 뇌 발달에 장애를 일으키고 실명, 마비, 사망을 일으킬 수 있다고 말했습니다.
It said 95% of children in Kabwe suffered elevated blood lead levels caused by lead mining and smelting, which can cause impair brain development and cause blindness, paralysis, and death.

출처 : VOANews

댓글목록 0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

깨다커뮤니케이션 | 서울 서초구 방배중앙로 401호
광고 및 제휴문의 : [email protected]
Copyright © 깨다닷컴. All rights reserved.