워싱턴 주립 교회에서 피난처를 찾는 망명자들 > 정치

본문 바로가기

정치

워싱턴 주립 교회에서 피난처를 찾는 망명자들
Asylum-Seekers Find Shelter at Washington State Church

페이지 정보

작성자 By Natasha Mozgovaya 작성일 24-02-28 22:25 댓글 0

본문

Jan Bolerjack, pastor of the Riverton Park United Methodist Church in Tukwila, Wash., opened the church's doors to hundreds of asylum-seekers.

워싱턴주 터크윌라에 있는 리버튼 파크 유나이티드 감리교 교회의 얀 볼러잭 목사는 수백 명의 망명 신청자들에게 교회의 문을 열었습니다.
 Jan Bolerjack, pastor of the Riverton Park United Methodist Church in Tukwila, Wash., opened the church's doors to hundreds of asylum-seekers.

워싱턴주 터크윌라
Tukwila, Washington —

12월 이후 매일 미국으로 건너가는 이민자의 수가 감소했지만, 지역 사회는 여전히 그들에게 자원을 제공하기 위해 안간힘을 쓰고 있습니다.
Though the number of migrants crossing daily into the United States has fallen since December, local communities are still scrambling to provide them with resources.

태평양 북서부의 워싱턴주 터크윌라에 있는 리버튼 파크 유나이티드 감리교 교회는 아프리카와 라틴 아메리카에서 온 수백 명의 망명 신청자들의 피난처가 되었습니다.
In the Pacific Northwest, Riverton Park United Methodist Church in Tukwila, Washington, has become a shelter for hundreds of asylum-seekers from Africa and Latin America.

앙골라, 콩고, 베네수엘라 등의 국가에서 온 망명 신청자들이 모여 이민 주장을 논의하는 가운데 교회 입구에는 포르투갈어, 프랑스어, 스페인어로 된 웅성거리는 대화가 이어지고 있습니다.
At the church entrance is a hum of conversations in Portuguese, French and Spanish, as asylum-seekers from countries such as Angola, Congo and Venezuela gather to discuss their immigration claims.

안경을 쓴 50대 여성 유리스(Eurice)는 베네수엘라 출신입니다. 그녀는 자신의 성을 사용하지 말아달라고 요청했습니다.
Eurice, a bespectacled woman in her 50s, came from Venezuela. She asked that her last name not be used.

"저는 미국에 짐이 되고 싶지 않습니다."라고 그녀는 말했습니다. "저는 꿈을 위해 여기에 온 것이 아닙니다. 콜롬비아 영사관에서의 일 때문에 저는 반역자로 낙인 찍혔습니다. 저는 평생을 일했고, 평화로운 은퇴 대신, 정글을 걷고 7개국을 횡단하며 조국을 떠나야 했습니다."
"I don't want to be a burden to the United States," she said. "I didn't come here for a dream. Because of my work at the Colombian consulate, I was labeled a traitor. I've worked all my life, and instead of a peaceful retirement, I had to flee my country, walking through the jungle, crossing seven countries."

그녀는 이 교회에서 피난처를 찾게 되어 감사하다고 말했습니다.
She said she is grateful to find shelter at this church.

"제 머리 위에 지붕과 잠자리, 음식 한 접시를 제공해 주신 하나님과 부인 목사님께 감사드립니다. 저는 이미 축복을 받았습니다," 라고 그녀가 말했습니다.
"I thank God and the lady pastor for providing a roof over my head, a bed to sleep in, and a plate of food. I am blessed already," she said.

얀 볼러잭 목사는 지난 1년 동안 리버튼은 임산부와 유아를 포함한 다양한 연령대의 망명 신청자 약 1,000명의 피난처, 음식 및 기본 필수품을 찾는 데 도움을 주었다고 말했습니다. 그들 중 일부는 스스로 도착했습니다. 다른 일부는 경찰에 의해 끌려왔습니다.
Pastor Jan Bolerjack said that over the past year, Riverton has helped find shelter, food and basic necessities for about 1,000 asylum-seekers of various ages, including pregnant women and toddlers. Some of them arrived on their own. Others were brought in by the police.

시애틀의 경찰서는 텐트 안에서 그들을 발견했고, 그들이 우리의 평범한 노숙자들과는 다른 인구라는 것을 깨달았습니다"라고 볼러잭은 VOA에 말했습니다. "그래서, 그들은 그들을 여기로 데려오기 시작했습니다. 2023년 3월까지 0에서 100으로, 그리고 7월까지 400으로 줄었습니다. 10월에, 툭윌라 시장은 이곳에 인도주의적 비상사태를 선포했습니다. 그리고 이것이 우리가 지금 있는 곳입니다 - 이 인도주의적 비상사태를 계속하는 것입니다."
"The police department in Seattle found them on the streets in tents and realized they were a different population from our usual homeless individuals," Bolerjack told VOA. "And so, they started bringing them here. We went from zero to 100 by March 2023, and then 400 by July. In October, the mayor of Tukwila declared a humanitarian emergency here. And this is where we are now — continuing with this humanitarian emergency."

Asylum-seekers from Africa cook at the small church kitchen in Riverton Park United Methodist Church in Tukwila, Washington.

아프리카에서 온 망명 신청자들이 워싱턴 투크윌라의 리버튼 파크 유나이티드 감리교 교회의 작은 교회 부엌에서 요리를 하고 있습니다.
 Asylum-seekers from Africa cook at the small church kitchen in Riverton Park United Methodist Church in Tukwila, Washington.

재정착 서비스를 받을 자격이 있는 난민들과 달리, 망명 신청자들은 수개월 동안 지속될 수 있는 과정에서 노동 허가 신청이 승인되기 전에 합법적으로 일할 수 없습니다.
Unlike refugees who are eligible for resettlement services, asylum-seekers are unable to work legally before their work permit application is approved in a process that may last many months.

볼러잭은 자신의 교회가 지역사회에서 가장 취약한 구성원들을 위해 항상 열린 문을 열어놓았지만, 한정된 자원으로 직원들과 자원봉사자들이 압도당했다고 말했습니다.
Bolerjack said her church has always had an open door for the most vulnerable members of the community, but with limited resources, staff and volunteers are overwhelmed.

"우리는 음식부터 빨래, 욕실, 샤워기, 텐트, 침낭, 매트리스에 이르기까지 모든 것을 제공해야 합니다. 모든 것은 이웃의 친구들과 소식통들로부터 나와야 합니다."라고 그녀는 기부된 매트리스, 여행 가방, 가방이 벽에 늘어선 교회 홀을 지나 여러 젊은 아프리카 여성들이 요리를 하고 있는 작은 부엌을 지나 자원봉사자들이 기부된 옷을 분류하는 지역을 지나며 설명했습니다.
"We have to provide everything, from food to laundry to bathrooms, showers, tents, sleeping bags, mattresses. Everything has to come from our friends and sources in the neighborhood," she explained, walking through the church hall where piles of donated mattresses, suitcases and bags line the walls, and past a tiny kitchen, where several young African women are cooking, and through an area where volunteers sort donated clothes.

볼러잭은 "어쩐지 이곳은 전국에 걸쳐, 그리고 국경에 가야 할 곳으로 광고되어 왔다"고 설명했습니다. "그리고 아시다시피, 저는 그것에 대해 큰 자부심을 가질 수 있습니다. 그럼에도 불구하고, 저는 그들이 길고 충격적인 여행 후에 도착했을 때 당황스럽고 우리는 '습하고 눅눅한 텐트에서 자야 한다'고 말해야 합니다."
"Somehow, this place has been advertised across the country and at the border as the place to go," Bolerjack explained. "And you know, I can take great pride in that. And yet, I'm kind of embarrassed when they arrive after a long, traumatic journey and we have to say, 'You have to sleep in a wet, soggy tent.'"

그 지역의 기온이 영하로 떨어졌던 겨울에, 망명을 원하는 수백 명의 사람들이 임시로 텐트에서 지역 호텔로 옮겨졌습니다. 일부는 국회의원들에게 도움을 요청하면서 캠프로 돌아가기를 거부했습니다.
In winter, when temperatures in the area dropped below zero, hundreds of asylum-seekers were temporarily moved from tents to local hotels. Some refused to return to the encampment, asking lawmakers for help.

Mia Gregerson 하원의원은 이주자 서비스를 더 잘 조정하기 위한 법안을 마련하여 위기에 대한 주정부의 대응을 개선하기 위해 노력하고 있습니다. 그녀는 수도인 올림피아에 있는 그녀의 사무실에서 VOA와의 인터뷰에서 새로운 사람들을 환영하는 Tukwila의 전통에도 불구하고 22,000명 미만의 사람들로 이루어진 공동체가 그 자체로 위기를 감당하도록 강요되어서는 안 된다고 말했습니다.
State Representative Mia Gregerson is working to improve the state’s response to the crisis with legislation to better coordinate migrant services. Speaking with VOA at her office in the state capital, Olympia, she said that despite Tukwila’s tradition of welcoming newcomers, the community of fewer than 22,000 people shouldn’t be pushed to shoulder the crisis on its own.

"저는 그들이 정말로 소매를 잘 걷어 올리고 성공하고 있다고 생각합니다," 라고 그레거슨이 말했습니다. "하지만 많은 불확실성이 있습니다. 자금이 떨어지면 우리는 무엇을 할 것인가요?"
"I think they're really rolling up their sleeves well and making a go of it," Gregerson said. "But there is a lot of uncertainty. What are we going to do when the funds run out?"

그녀는 망명 사건들을 처리하는 것이 종종 가족 내의 다른 이민 신분들로 인해 복잡하다고 말했습니다. 그녀가 18명의 공동 후원자들과 함께 도입한 그 법안은 주 난민 이민자 지원 사무소에 권한을 부여하려고 합니다.
She said processing asylum cases is often complicated by different immigration statuses within a family. The bill she introduced with 18 co-sponsors seeks to empower the state’s Office of Refugee and Immigrant Assistance.

"이 아이디어는 사무실이 신속하고 자원을 활용하여 정확하고 사실적인 법률 조언을 위해 시스템에 자원을 투입하거나 교육 자원, 교통 수요 및 주택 교환권을 신속하게 얻을 수 있다는 것입니다."라고 그레거슨은 말했습니다. "그리고 우리는 시스템을 통해 그들을 도울 수 있도록 그들과 연락을 유지해야 합니다. 그렇지 않으면, 그들은 다른 유형의 문제의 희생자가 될 수 있습니다."
"The idea is that the office is able to be nimble and utilize resources quickly to not only put them into the system for legal advice that's correct and factual, or quickly get them the education resources, transportation needs, and housing vouchers," Gregerson said. "And we need to maintain that contact with them so we can help them through the system. Otherwise, they may fall victim to other types of issues."

워싱턴 주지사 제이 인슬리의 현재 예산에는 연방 난민 재정착 프로그램 서비스를 받을 자격이 없는 새로 도착하는 사람들을 위한 지원 서비스를 확대하기 위한 난민 이민 지원청의 새로운 자금 500만 달러가 포함되어 있습니다. 340만 달러를 별도로 요청하는 것은 시애틀 인근 카운티의 망명 신청자들에게 과도기적이고 장기적인 주거 지원을 제공하는 것을 돕기 위한 것입니다.
Washington Governor Jay Inslee’s current budget includes $5 million in new funding for the Office of Refugee and Immigrant Assistance to expand support services for newly arriving people who do not qualify for federal refugee resettlement program services. A separate request for $3.4 million is meant to help provide transitional and long-term housing support to asylum-seekers in the county around Seattle.

리버튼의 자원봉사자들은 망명 신청자들이 영어로 필요한 서류 작업을 마칠 수 있도록 돕습니다. 지난 해, 볼러잭은 단 한 명만이 그들의 망명 신청에서 이겼고 취업 허가를 받았다고 말했습니다.
Volunteers at Riverton help asylum-seekers complete the required paperwork in English. In the past year, Bolerjack said just one person won their asylum case and obtained a work permit.

그것은 그의 나라의 불안 때문에 2022년 12월에 그의 아내와 세 아이들과 함께 앙골라를 떠났다고 말한 예레미야 르파우의 낙관론을 약화시키지 않았습니다. 그들은 가족 보호소로 승인되기 전까지 4개월 동안 리버튼에서 살았습니다. 그 아이들은 100명 이상의 어린 망명 신청자들과 함께 지역 학교에 등록되어 있습니다. 르파우는 그 교회에서 영어 수업을 듣고 있고 자원봉사자들을 하고 있습니다.
That has not diminished the optimism of Jeremiah Lefau, who said he left Angola with his wife and three children in December 2022 because of insecurity in his country. They lived at Riverton for four months before they were approved for family shelter. The children are enrolled in local schools along with more than 100 young asylum-seekers. Lefau is taking English classes and volunteers at the church.

그는 "미래에 대해 기분이 좋다"며 "이제는 교회가 도와준 것처럼 다른 사람을 도와야 한다"고 말했습니다
"I feel good about the future," he said. "Now, we need to help others as the church helped us."

베네수엘라 출신의 유리스는 언젠가 그녀의 나라로 돌아가기를 희망합니다.
Eurice, from Venezuela, hopes to return to her country someday.

"저의 가족은 여전히 그곳에 있습니다. 저는 그들이 그립습니다"라고 그녀는 말했습니다. "저는 안전하기 위해 필요한 만큼 여기에 머물기를 희망하고, 그들이 우리에게 주는 이 기회에 대해 미국에 감사합니다. 하지만 저는 언젠가 제가 돌아올 수 있도록 제 나라가 스스로를 고칠 수 있을 것이라는 믿음을 가지고 있습니다."
"My family is still there. I miss them," she said. "I hope to stay here as long as necessary to be safe, and I thank the United States for this opportunity they are giving us. But I have faith that one day my country will be able to repair itself so I can return."

한편, 바이든 행정부는 망명 신청자들이 미국에 머무는 것을 더 어렵게 만드는 조치들을 진전시키고 있습니다.
Meanwhile, the Biden administration is advancing measures making it more challenging for asylum-seekers to stay in the U.S.

출처 : VOANews

댓글목록 0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

깨다커뮤니케이션 | 서울 서초구 방배중앙로 401호
광고 및 제휴문의 : [email protected]
Copyright © 깨다닷컴. All rights reserved.