[워싱턴 톡] “중국 경제 보복 무력화 가능…한국 등 8개국, 중국 수출 20% 감소시킬 수 있어” > 정치

본문 바로가기

정치

[워싱턴 톡] “중국 경제 보복 무력화 가능…한국 등 8개국, 중국 수출 20% 감소시킬 수 있어”
[Washington Talk] "China's economic retaliation can be neutralized...""8 countries, including Korea, can reduce exports to China by 20%."

페이지 정보

작성자 함지하 작성일 23-05-27 04:15 댓글 0

본문

중국 양샨항에 쌓인 컨테이너. (자료사진)

중국 양샨항에 쌓인 컨테이너. (자료사진)
Containers stacked in Yangshan Port, China. (Data Photo)

한국이 중국의 경제적 강압에 대항하는 국제 연대에 더욱 적극적으로 참여할 것을 촉구하는 목소리가 높아지고 있습니다. 워싱턴의 전문가들은 중국의 무차별적 보복에 가장 취약한 나라 중 하나가 한국이라며, 미국과 함께 중국의 강압 수단을 무력화할 방안을 강구해야 한다고 제안했습니다. 한국을 포함한 8개국의 협력만 있으면 중국의 수출을 20%나 감소시켜 중국에 심각한 피해를 입힐 수 있다는 구체적인 대응 수단도 제시됐습니다. 27일 VOA ‘워싱턴 톡’ 프로그램에 출연한 제임스 줌월트 전 국무부 동아태 부차관보와 찰스 킹 말로리 4세 랜드연구소 국제 위험∙안보 국장의 대담을 함지하 기자가 정리했습니다.
There are growing calls for South Korea to participate more actively in international solidarity against China's economic coercion. Experts in Washington say South Korea is one of the most vulnerable countries to China's indiscriminate retaliation, suggesting that the U.S. should work with the U.S. to neutralize China's coercive measures. Specific countermeasures have also been proposed that cooperation from eight countries, including South Korea, could reduce China's exports by 20% and cause serious damage to China. Reporter Ham Ji-ha summarized the conversation between James Zumwalt, former Deputy Secretary of State for East Asia and Pacific, and Charles King Mallory IV, Director of International Risk and Security at Land Research Institute, who appeared on VOA's "Washington Talk" program on the 27th.

진행자) G7 정상들이 북한에 핵과 미사일 실험 등 도발을 자제할 것을 한목소리로 요구했습니다. 자유민주주의 국가 지도자들이 북한의 향후 도발에 대해 더욱 강력하고 단호히 대응할 것으로 보십니까?
Host) The G7 leaders called on North Korea to refrain from provocations such as nuclear and missile tests. Do you think the leaders of liberal democracies will respond more strongly and firmly to future provocations by North Korea?

제임스 줌월트 전 부차관보) 저는 G7 정상들의 지지가 여전히 매우 중요하다는 데 동의합니다. 그러나 G7 국가들이 북한에 제한적 영향력을 미칠 뿐이라는 걸 인식하는 것도 중요합니다. 특히 러시아의 우크라이나 침공 때문에 말이죠. 북한은 후원국인 러시아와 중국을 저울질하고 거기서 이익을 얻을 수 있는 여지가 훨씬 더 커졌습니다. 따라서 경제 제재와 같은 정책이 북한에 영향을 주기가 더 어려워졌죠. 따라서 G7이 주로 할 수 있는 일은 북한의 도발을 억제하려는 노력이라고 생각합니다.
James Zumwalt: I agree that the support of the G7 leaders is still very important. But it is also important to recognize that the G7 countries have only limited influence on North Korea. Especially because of the Russian invasion of Ukraine. North Korea has much more room to weigh its sponsors Russia and China and benefit from it. Therefore, policies such as economic sanctions have become more difficult to influence North Korea. Therefore, I think the main thing the G7 can do is to try to curb North Korea's provocations.

진행자) G7 국가들은 북한의 핵과 미사일 실험에 대해 오랫동안 우려를 표명해 왔습니다. 하지만 북한의 나쁜 행동에 대해 조치를 취하고 목소리를 높이는 데에는 이스라엘 같은 나라보다 덜 다급해 보였습니다. G7 국가들이 앞으로도 북한 문제를 그다지 긴급하게 다루지 않을 것으로 보시는 건가요?
The G7 countries have long expressed concern about North Korea's nuclear and missile tests. But it seemed less urgent than a country like Israel to take action and raise its voice over North Korea's bad behavior. Do you think the G7 countries will not deal with the North Korean issue very urgently in the future?

줌월트 전 부차관보) G7 국가 중 미국과 일본은 항상 북한의 핵과 미사일 프로그램을 시급히 해결해야 하는 것으로 보고 있습니다. 차이점이라면 유럽 국가들과 캐나다가 북한 무기 프로그램에 대해 과거보다 더 우려하게 됐다는 점이죠. 앞으로도 G7이 이 문제에 계속 관여하고 우려를 나타낼 것이라고 낙관합니다.
The United States and Japan among the G7 countries always believe that North Korea's nuclear and missile programs must be resolved urgently. The difference is that European countries and Canada have become more concerned about North Korea's weapons program than in the past. I am optimistic that the G7 will continue to be involved in this matter and express concern in the future.

진행자) G7 정상들은 또한 비확산과 핵확산금지조약의 중요성을 강조했습니다. 한국은 G7에 참관국으로 초대됐고 한국 외교장관은 G8 국가가 될 가능성을 언급했죠. G7 히로시마 공동성명을 계기로 한국이 자제 핵무장 언급을 자제하게 되지 않을까요?
The G7 leaders also stressed the importance of the Non-Proliferation and Non-Proliferation Treaty. South Korea was invited to the G7 as an observer, and the South Korean foreign minister mentioned the possibility of becoming a G8 country. Wouldn't the G7 Hiroshima Joint Statement lead to South Korea refraining from mentioning its own nuclear armament?

찰스 킹 말로리 4세 국장) 이해할 만합니다. 핵 억지이론에는 보장의 개념이 있습니다. 냉전 기간 유럽의 동맹국들은 미국에 핵 억지력을 보장해 줄 것을 끊임없이 요구했고 때로는 확신을 갖지 못했습니다. 한국은 한국전쟁 이후 적어도 다섯 차례 이상 자체 핵무기 프로그램 개발을 고려했습니다. 물론 바이든 대통령과 G7 정상들의 성명들은 중요합니다. 하지만 훨씬 더 중요한 것은 막후에서 벌어지는 일입니다. 미국, 일본, 한국이 아시아에서 나토 핵기획그룹에 상응하는 대화를 시작하는 것이죠. 나토 핵기획그룹은 핵무기의 전술적 사용을 논의합니다. 만에 하나 전쟁이 발발할 경우에 말이죠. 따라서 한국, 일본, 미국이 군 차원에서 이런 대화를 진행하고 있다는 사실은 핵무기 프로그램을 시작할 필요가 없다는 확신을 한국 정부에 줄 것이라고 생각합니다.
Director Charles King Mallory IV) Understandable. In nuclear deterrence theory, there is a concept of guarantee. During the Cold War, Europe's allies constantly demanded that the United States guarantee nuclear deterrence, and sometimes were unsure. South Korea has considered developing its own nuclear weapons program at least five times since the Korean War. Of course, statements from President Biden and G7 leaders are important. But much more importantly, what happens behind the scenes. The U.S., Japan, and South Korea are starting a corresponding dialogue with NATO's nuclear programming group in Asia. NATO nuclear planning group discusses tactical use of nuclear weapons. In the event of a war. Therefore, the fact that South Korea, Japan, and the United States are conducting such talks at the military level will give the South Korean government confidence that it does not need to start a nuclear weapons program.

진행자) 한국 정부가 핵협의그룹을 통해 더 많은 확신을 얻는다 해도 북한의 무기 개발이 빨라지는 상황에서 한국 내 핵무장 지지 여론은 수그러들지 않을 텐데요.
Even if the South Korean government gains more confidence through the nuclear consultation group, public opinion in South Korea will not subside at a time when North Korea's weapons development is accelerating.

말로리 국장) 그렇습니다. 냉전 시기 유럽에선 소련의 동서독 국경 도발 때 각국이 어떻게 대응할지 공개적으로 논의했습니다. 저는 아시아에서 이런 대화가 시작될 것으로 예상합니다. 실제로 계획이 있고 (동맹으로부터) 버림받을 것을 걱정할 필요가 없다는 사실을 알려 대중을 안심시킬 방법이니까요. 일본이 수 톤의 플루토늄을 보유하고 있음을 기억해야 합니다. 한국이 핵무기 프로그램을 시작하면 일본도 곧 뒤따를 것입니다. 일본은 대륙간 탄도미사일 역량도 있습니다. 일본의 핵무장은 한국의 이익에 부합하지 않습니다.
Director Mallory: Yes. In Europe during the Cold War, countries openly discussed how to respond to the Soviet Union's East-West German border provocations. I expect this conversation to begin in Asia. It's a way to reassure the public by letting them know that they actually have a plan and that they don't have to worry about being abandoned. You have to remember that Japan has tons of plutonium. If South Korea starts its nuclear weapons program, Japan will soon follow suit. Japan also has intercontinental ballistic missile capabilities. Japan's nuclear armament is not in Korea's interest.

진행자) 미국은 한국, 일본과 원자력협정을 맺고 있는데 그 내용이 다릅니다. 언급하신 대로 일본은 사용후 핵연료 재처리를 할 수 있고 한국은 할 수 없죠. 한국도 일본처럼 재처리 금지 방침에서 예외를 인정받아 플루토늄을 생산할 수 있어야 한다고 보십니까?
The U.S. has nuclear agreements with Korea and Japan, which are different. As you mentioned, Japan can reprocess spent fuel and Korea cannot. Do you think Korea should be able to produce plutonium with exceptions from the reprocessing ban policy like Japan?

말로리 국장) 저는 그 반대가 돼야 한다고 생각합니다. 일본도 한국과 같은 규제를 받아야 한다고 생각하죠. 핵무기 제조에 사용될 수 있는 농축 플루토늄을 대량으로 보유하는 것은 결코 좋은 생각이 아닙니다.
Director Mallory: I think it should be the opposite. I think Japan should be regulated the same as Korea. Having a large amount of enriched plutonium that can be used to make nuclear weapons is never a good idea.

진행자) 한국이 핵 개발에 나서면 일본도 곧 뒤따를 것이라는 말로리 국장님의 말씀을 들었습니다. 핵무기를 가지는 게 일본 입장에선 나쁘지 않겠죠?
I heard from Director Mallory that Japan will follow soon if South Korea starts nuclear development. It wouldn't be bad for Japan to have nuclear weapons, would it?

줌월트 전 부차관보) 저는 동의하지 않습니다. 일본 대중은 핵무장을 지지하지 않습니다. 핵무기 사용으로 민간인이 사망한 유일한 나라가 일본이라는 강한 인식이 있기 때문입니다. 따라서 일본에는 매우 강력한 반핵 운동이 있습니다. 일본의 플루토늄 비축분에 대한 안전조치 문제는 저도 우려합니다. 한국인들이 핵무기 보유에 관심이 있다는 여론을 언급하셨는데요. 아마 핵무장의 결과를 잘 알지 못하기 때문일 것입니다. 한국이 핵무기를 개발하려면 실험장이 필요합니다. 거주지 근처에 핵실험장이 들어서는 걸 원하는 사람은 많지 않을 것입니다. 비용도 많이 들 것입니다. 어떤 부분에서 지출을 줄여 예산을 확보할지에 대해 논쟁이 따를 것입니다. 또한 NPT는 한국이 핵무기를 개발하지 않는 대신 민간 핵 협력을 제공하고 있기 때문에 한국이 핵 프로그램을 시작하면 민간 핵 협력은 종료됩니다. 만약 한국 대중이 이 모든 요소를 고려했다면 방금 언급하신 여론조사와는 매우 다른 결과가 나왔을 것입니다.
Zumwalt, former deputy assistant secretary) I disagree. The Japanese public does not support nuclear armament. This is because there is a strong perception that Japan is the only country where civilians have died from the use of nuclear weapons. So Japan has a very strong anti-nuclear movement. I am also concerned about safety measures for Japan's plutonium stockpile. You mentioned the public opinion that Koreans are interested in possessing nuclear weapons. Probably because we don't know the consequences of nuclear armament. Korea needs a test site to develop nuclear weapons. Not many people would want a nuclear test site near their residence. It will cost a lot, too. There will be a debate about where to cut spending to secure the budget. Also, since the NPT provides civilian nuclear cooperation instead of South Korea developing nuclear weapons, civilian nuclear cooperation will end when South Korea starts its nuclear program. If the Korean public had considered all these factors, the results would have been very different from the polls you just mentioned.

진행자) 한국인들이 핵무기를 원한다고 목소리를 높일 때 일본은 신속히 핵무장할 수 있는 역량을 조용히 기르고 있습니다. 그렇다면 한국인들의 핵무장 여론이 일본에도 나쁠 게 없지 않나요?
When Koreans speak up for nuclear weapons, Japan is quietly developing its ability to quickly arm itself. Then isn't the public opinion of Koreans' nuclear armament bad for Japan?

줌월트 전 부차관보) 우선 일본의 플루토늄 비축분은 IAEA 안전조치 적용 대상이라는 걸 언급해야겠네요. 사찰과 계량 등 보호 조치가 있죠. 이렇게 많은 플루토늄을 비축하는 것 자체가 좋지 않다는 데 동의합니다. 하지만 몇 가지 안전장치가 시행되고 있습니다. 미한일 세 나라 간 협의가 그래서 더 많이 이뤄져야 한다고 봅니다. 한국은 미국으로부터 더 강력히 보장받길 원하는 동시에 일본의 잠재력도 우려하고 있다고 봅니다. 반대로 일본도 한국에 대해 우려한다는 것도 사실이고요. 한국의 핵무장 여론을 우려하는 일본인들이 있습니다. 따라서 저는 이 문제에 대해 세 나라가 더 많이 논의해 각국의 입장을 명확히 하길 바랍니다.
Zumwalt: First of all, I have to mention that Japan's plutonium stockpile is subject to IAEA safety measures. There are protective measures such as inspection and measurement. I agree that stockpiling this much plutonium is not good in itself. But there are some safety measures in place. That's why I think there should be more consultations between the three countries. South Korea wants to be guaranteed stronger by the U.S., while also worrying about Japan's potential. On the contrary, it is also true that Japan is also concerned about Korea. There are Japanese people who are concerned about South Korea's nuclear-armed public opinion. Therefore, I hope that the three countries will discuss this issue further and clarify their positions.

진행자) 한국 관리들은 아직은 아니라고 합니다. 현재로선 한국과 미국이 먼저 핵협의그룹을 운용하고 나중에 일본을 포함할 수도 있다는 것인데요. 미국엔 뭐가 최선일까요? 확장억제 협의를 양자 차원으로 하기보다 미한일 세 나라가 함께 하는 것이 낫습니까?
Korean officials say not yet. For now, South Korea and the United States may operate a nuclear consultation group first and include Japan later. What's best for America? Is it better for the three countries of the United States and Japan to come together than for the bilateral discussion of expansionary deterrence?

줌월트 전 부차관보) 논의가 없는 것보다는 양자 논의라도 있는 것이 낫죠. 하지만 궁극적으로는 3자 논의가 있어야 한다고 봅니다. 미국과 한국은 여러 시나리오를 점검합니다. 말로리 국장님이 언급한 전쟁 시 대응책도 있습니다. 그때 주일 미군도 동원될 것입니다. 따라서 일본을 대화에 참여시켜 미국의 잠재적 대응 계획을 한국이 완전히 파악하는 것이 낫다고 봅니다. 주일미군과 주한미군이 다양한 시나리오에서 대응하기 위해 어떻게 협력할 것인지 더 잘 이해할 수 있습니다.
Zumwalt: It's better to have a bilateral discussion than no discussion. But ultimately, I think there should be a three-way discussion. The U.S. and South Korea check several scenarios. There are also war countermeasures mentioned by Director Mallory. Then the U.S. military in Japan will also be mobilized. Therefore, I think it would be better for Korea to engage Japan in dialogue and fully understand the potential response plan of the United States. We can better understand how the U.S. Forces in Japan and the U.S. Forces Korea will work together to respond in various scenarios.

진행자) 말로리 국장님은 어떻게 보십니까?
What do you think of Director Mallory?

말로리 국장) 핵 보유 여부를 고려할 때 유념해야 할 게 있습니다. 제가 이란인들과 대화하면서 깨닫게 됐는데요. 핵무기 개발 초기 단계에서 무기고가 작을 경우 독특한 전략적 취약성의 순간에 놓이게 된다는 점입니다. 그때는 상대방이 선제공격을 통해 가장 큰 이익을 얻을 수 있는 시기이기 때문입니다. 따라서 핵무기 개발을 시작하면 취약성이 감소하는 것이 아니라 오히려 증가할 수 있습니다. 6개의 핵무기를 처음 갖게 됐고 상대는 30개, 40개, 수백 개의 무기를 갖고 있을 때 상대는 확전우위를 갖게 됩니다. 상대는 훨씬 더 많은 무기로 나를 공격할 수 있죠. 그 결과 나의 핵 프로그램이 아직 초기일 때 상대방이 선제공격을 가해 내 능력을 제거하는 게 그들에게 이익이 되죠. 그렇기 때문에 핵 개발 초기 단계에는 군사력이 증가하는 게 아니라 오히려 감소할 수 있습니다.
Director Mallory) There is something to keep in mind when considering whether to have nuclear weapons. I realized it while talking to Iranians. If the armory is small in the early stages of nuclear weapons development, it will be placed in a unique moment of strategic vulnerability. That's because it's a time when the other party can benefit the most from a preemptive strike. Thus, starting nuclear weapons could increase vulnerability rather than decrease. When you first have six nuclear weapons, and your opponent has 30, 40, and hundreds of weapons, you have an extended advantage. The opponent can attack me with much more weapons. As a result, when my nuclear program is still in its infancy, it is in their interest to have the other side launch a preemptive strike and remove my ability. Therefore, military power may not increase, but rather decrease, in the early stages of nuclear development.

진행자) 독일의 숄츠 총리는 G7 정상회의 직후 한국을 방문해 윤 대통령과 군사비밀정보보호협정의 조속한 체결에 합의했습니다. 독일과 이런 협정을 맺는 게 한국에 어떤 이점이 있을까요? 또 두 나라는 어떤 군사 정보를 공유할 수 있을까요?
German Chancellor Scholz visited South Korea shortly after the G7 summit and agreed with President Yoon to sign a military secret information protection agreement as soon as possible. What are the advantages of having an agreement like this with Germany? What other military intelligence can the two countries share?

말로리 국장) 양국은 기밀 정보를 공유할 수 있을 것입니다. 일본과 한국이 독일보다 북한에 대한 정보를 훨씬 더 많이 갖고 있을 것입니다. 물론 독일은 평양에 대사관을 뒀고 그곳에서도 정보 수집이 이뤄지고 있을 것이지만요. 저는 이 협정이 한국에 정말 유익하다고 생각합니다. 한국에 정보를 제공하기 때문이죠. 또 독일도 한국으로부터 얻은 정보를 통해 한반도에서 전쟁이 일어날 경우 독일 산업에 미칠 영향을 깨닫게 될 것이기 때문입니다.
Director Mallory: Both countries will be able to share confidential information. Japan and South Korea will have much more information about North Korea than Germany. Of course, Germany has an embassy in Pyongyang, and information will be collected there. I think this agreement is really beneficial to Korea. Because it provides information to Korea. In addition, Germany will also realize the impact on German industry in the event of a war on the Korean Peninsula through information obtained from Korea.

진행자) 줌월트 전 부차관보님은 어떻게 생각하십니까?
Host) What do you think of Zumwalt, the former deputy minister?

줌월트 전 부차관보) 제가 미국 정부에서 일할 때도 우리는 북한 현지에 외교 공관이 없었습니다. 전 세계에서 거의 유일하게 북한만 사각지대였죠. 우리는 영국과 독일처럼 현지에 공관을 둔 동료들로부터 그들의 개인적 경험과 평양에서 목격한 내용을 브리핑받았습니다. 그런 인적 정보는 우리에게 매우 귀중한 정보였습니다.
When I worked for the U.S. government, we didn't have diplomatic missions in North Korea. North Korea was almost the only blind spot in the world. We have been briefed by colleagues who have diplomatic missions there, like Britain and Germany, on their personal experiences and their sightings in Pyongyang. Such personal information was invaluable to us.

진행자) 미국과 다른 서방 국가들이 중국의 강압에 맞서는데 한국이 동참하고 있습니다. 그런데 미국이 갑자기 중국과 관계를 개선하면 한국이 곤란한 처지가 되지 않을까요? 바로 그런 상황이 발생할까봐 과거 일부 한국 정부가 미국과 중국 사이에서 줄타기한 것 아닐까요?
The United States and other Western countries are joining in the fight against Chinese coercion. But wouldn't Korea be in trouble if the U.S. suddenly improves relations with China? Isn't it because some Korean governments in the past walked a tightrope between the U.S. and China for fear of that happening?

줌월트 전 부차관보) 미중 관계가 개선되면 한국에도 도움이 될 것이라고 생각합니다. 한국이 이미 곤란한 입장이기 때문입니다. 한쪽에는 매우 활발한 경제 관계를 맺고 있는 가까운 이웃이 있고 다른 쪽에선 같은 생각과 세계관을 가진 미국과 안보 협력을 맺고 있습니다. 따라서 미국과 중국의 관계가 나쁠 때 한국이 곤란한 입장에 처하는 거죠. 미중 관계가 개선되면 한국은 이 두 중요한 관계를 관리할 운신의 폭이 커질 것이라고 생각합니다.
I think improving U.S.-China relations will also help South Korea. Because Korea is already in a difficult position. You have a close neighbor on one side who has a very active economic relationship, and you have a security cooperation with the United States on the other, who has the same mind and the same world view. Therefore, when the relationship between the U.S. and China is bad, Korea is in a difficult position. If the U.S.-China relations improve, I think South Korea will have more energy to manage these two important relations.

진행자) 중국의 마이크론 제재는 삼성과 SK 하이닉스에 새로운 기회를 제공할 수 있습니다. 한국이 어떤 결정을 해야 할까요?
Host) China's Micron sanctions could provide new opportunities for Samsung and SK Hynix. What decision should Korea make?

말로리 국장) 한국 정부에 조언하는 것은 제 역할이 아니지만 몇 가지 고려 사항을 말씀드릴 수 있습니다. 서로 다른 수준의 반도체 기술을 구분해야 합니다. 미국이 가장 관심을 두는 것은 최신 나노급 리소그래피 장비인데 네덜란드 등 일부 국가만 만들 수 있습니다. 네덜란드는 파키스탄의 AQ 칸이 핵폭탄 제조 기술을 얻은 곳이기도 하죠. 우리가 정말로 신경 쓰는 것은 이 첨단기술이 중국에 넘어가 동맹에 대항하는데 사용되지 않도록 하는 것입니다. 20년 전에 개발돼 그동안 사용돼 온 범용 반도체는 큰 문제가 되지 않는다고 봅니다. 이 점을 구분할 필요가 있습니다.
Director Mallory:) It's not my role to advise the Korean government, but I can tell you some considerations. Different levels of semiconductor technology must be distinguished. What the U.S. is most interested in is the latest nano-class lithography equipment, which can only be made in some countries, including the Netherlands. The Netherlands is also where Pakistan's AQ Khan got the technology to build a nuclear bomb. What we really care about is that this high technology doesn't fall over to China and be used against the alliance. General-purpose semiconductors developed 20 years ago and used so far are not a big problem. You need to distinguish between these points.

진행자) 하지만 백악관은 마이크론의 빈자리를 한국 기업이 채우지 않게 해달라고 요청한 것으로 알려졌는데요.
However, the White House reportedly requested that Korean companies not fill Micron's vacancy.

말로리 국장) 제가 궁금한 것은 모든 제품에 대해 그런 요청을 했는지 아니면 첨단 나노기술을 특정한 것인지입니다. 저는 후자인 것 같습니다.
Director Mallory: What I'm curious about is whether you've made that request for every product or if you've specified advanced nanotechnology. I think I'm the latter.

진행자) 줌월트 전 부차관보님은 어떻게 보십니까?
Host) What do you think of Zumwalt, the former deputy minister?

줌월트 전 부차관보) 기술 이전 문제도 중요하지만 또 다른 문제는 경제적 강압 수단을 사용하는 중국을 어떻게 다룰 것인가입니다. 중국은 지금 경제적 강압 행위를 하고 있습니다. 미국의 정책에 불만을 품고 미국 기업을 처벌하려는 것입니다. 한국은 사드 배치 당시 비슷한 정책의 희생양이 된 적이 있습니다. 노르웨이, 호주, 캐나다, 일본 등 다른 많은 국가도 비슷한 경험을 했죠. 여기서 정말 중요한 것은 미국과 한국 그리고 다른 국가들이 함께 협력해 중국의 경제적 강압이 한 국가를 겨냥할 때 어떻게 공동으로 대처할지 정책을 세우는 것입니다. 중국이 원하는 것은 한 국가가 보복당할 때 아무도 도움을 주지 않는 상황입니다. 결속력이 부족한 상태 말입니다. 중국이 경제적 강압을 더는 사용하지 못하도록 비용을 높이는 방법을 함께 찾는 것이 한국과 미국의 이익에 부합한다고 생각합니다. 이 반도체 문제에 더해 더 큰 틀에서는 한국과 우방, 동맹국에 경제적 강압을 행사하는 중국을 어떻게 다룰 것인지 한국이 고려해야 한다고 생각합니다.
The issue of technology transfer is also important, but another issue is how to deal with China, which uses economic coercion. China is now engaged in economic coercion. Discontent with U.S. policy and trying to punish U.S. companies. South Korea once fell victim to a similar policy during the THAAD deployment. Norway, Australia, Canada, Japan, and many other countries had similar experiences. What is really important here is that the United States, South Korea, and other countries work together to establish policies on how to jointly deal with China's economic coercion when it targets one country. What China wants is a situation where no one helps a country when it is retaliated. Lack of solidarity. I think it is in the interests of Korea and the United States to find ways to raise costs together so that China can no longer use economic coercion. In addition to this semiconductor problem, I think Korea should consider how to deal with China, which exerts economic coercion on South Korea, its allies and allies.

진행자) 최근 윤 대통령은 경제 안보와 공급망 회복을 위해 미국과 함께 협력할 것을 약속했습니다. 그런데 백악관의 요청에 대한 질문에 한국의 안덕근 통상교섭본부장은 개별 기업들이 결정할 문제라면서 정부가 지시하기는 어렵다고 말했죠.
Host) Recently, President Yoon promised to work with the United States on economic security and supply chain recovery. However, when asked about the White House's request, South Korea's Trade Minister Ahn Deok-geun said it is difficult for the government to dictate, saying it is a matter for individual companies to decide.

줌월트 전 부차관보) 미국 정부가 어떤 요청을 했는지 저는 알지 못하지만 두 가지 쟁점이 있다고 봅니다. 우선 한국 정부와 한국 기업들의 대응 방식입니다. 진행자가 언급한 그 두 한국 기업도 미국에 큰 이해관계가 걸려 있습니다. 따라서 기업들은 중국 판매량을 늘릴지 결정할 때 미국과의 관계에 어떤 영향을 미칠지 고려할 것입니다. 그것은 기업들이 판단해야 할 문제입니다. 한국 정부에 더 큰 문제는 중국의 경제적 강압 사용입니다. 정부로서 다른 국가들과 어떻게 협력할지 생각해야 합니다. 불과 몇 년 전 중국의 경제적 강압에 따른 희생자는 한국이었죠. 솔직히 그때 저는 어려움에 처한 동맹을 미국이 그다지 적극적으로 지원하지 않는다고 느꼈습니다. 우리가 협력해 앞으로 경제적 강압 수단의 영향을 최소화하거나 아예 중국이 그런 수단을 사용하지 못하게 만들 수 있길 바랍니다.
Zumwalt: I don't know what the U.S. government requested, but I think there are two issues. First of all, it is the response method of the Korean government and Korean companies. The two Korean companies mentioned by the host also have a big stake in the United States. Therefore, companies will consider how it will affect their relationship with the United States when deciding whether to increase sales in China. That is a matter for companies to judge. A bigger problem for the Korean government is China's use of economic coercion. As a government, we have to think about how to cooperate with other countries. Just a few years ago, Korea was the victim of China's economic coercion. To be honest, I felt at that time that the United States was not very actively supporting the alliance in need. I hope we can work together to minimize the impact of economic coercion in the future or to prevent China from using such measures at all.

진행자) 미국이 한국 정부로부터는 강력한 협조 약속을 받고 한국 기업의 사업 활동엔 공간을 좀 주는 게 효과적이라는 지적엔 어떻게 답하시겠습니까?
How would you respond to the criticism that it is effective for the U.S. to receive a strong promise of cooperation from the Korean government and to give some space to Korean companies' business activities?

줌월트 전 부차관보) 미국 정부가 위험 제거 정책에 대해 설명했는데요. 작은 정원의 높은 울타리와 같은 것입니다. 무슨 뜻인가 하면, 무역 제한을 광범위한 제품에 대해 부과하진 않겠다는 것입니다. 중국의 군사력 진전에 핵심적인 제품에만 집중하겠다는 것입니다. 이때 높은 울타리와 같이 우리가 실제로 적용할 수 있는 모든 제한을 가하는 것입니다. 미국 혼자서는 할 수 없는 일입니다. 한국과 같이 기술력이 높은 동맹과 협력해야 합니다. 다자간 해법이 필요한 것입니다.
The U.S. government explained its policy of eliminating risks. It's like a high fence in a small garden. I mean, I'm not going to impose trade restrictions on a wide range of products. The plan is to focus only on products that are key to China's military progress. This is where we impose all the restrictions that we can actually apply, like the high fence. The United States cannot do this alone. We need to cooperate with high-tech allies like Korea. A multilateral solution is needed.

진행자) 미국은 한국 기업들에 1년간 대중국 반도체 장비 수출제한을 받지 않도록 유예 조처를 줬습니다. 한국 기업들이 대중국 수출 확대 여부를 결정하기 전에 미국 정부가 지렛대를 갖고 있다는 걸 기억해야 하지 않을까요?
The U.S. has imposed a one-year moratorium on Korean companies from being restricted from exporting semiconductor equipment to China. Shouldn't Korean companies remember that the U.S. government has leverage before deciding whether to expand exports to China?

말로리 국장) 한국의 국익 관점에서 더 폭넓게 고려해야 할 사항은 한국 수출의 25%가 중국을 향한다는 점입니다. 따라서 한국은 위험에 많이 노출돼 있죠. 이런 위험을 피하기 위해 다각화를 시도하는 것은 한국 기업의 이익에 부합합니다. 만약 충돌이 발생하면 한국 경제에 큰 타격을 줄 수 있기 때문입니다. 랜드연구소에서는 경제적 강압과 관련한 초기 연구를 진행했습니다. G7이 중국의 강압에 대항해 적용할 메커니즘을 분석했죠. 중국이 가장 많이 의존하는 제품 가운데 대중국 수출을 금지할 수 있는 제품이 뭔지 살펴봤습니다. 또 중국이 보복에 나설 경우 가장 노출되고 취약한 동맹국이 어디인지도 살펴봤는데 바로 호주와 한국입니다. 호주의 경우 철광석과 통신산업이 가장 취약합니다. 한국은 반도체와 기타 전자 장비이고요. 따라서 중국 리스크를 줄이고 싶은 기업 경영진이라면 이 점을 염두에 둬야 합니다. 언젠가 중국과 갈등이 발생할 경우 동맹국의 지원을 받아야 할 수도 있다는 걸 알아야 합니다. 한국의 대중국 반도체 수출액이 750억 달러에 달한다는 이야기를 하고 있는 겁니다. 이는 GDP의 0.75%가 채 안 되지만 한 산업을 붕괴시킬 수 있습니다. 철광석, 통신장비, 반도체를 합치면 무역액이 1,950억 달러에 달합니다. 따라서 중국의 강압에 대처하는 방안에는 약 2천억 달러의 피해자 구제 기금이 포함돼야 합니다. 따라서 한국 정부와 산업이 동맹국들과 함께 이런 방안에 협력하는 것이 국익에 부합합니다. 그들이 바로 수혜자가 될 수 있으니까요.
Director Mallory: From the perspective of Korea's national interest, a broader consideration is that 25% of Korea's exports are directed at China. Therefore, Korea is exposed to a lot of danger. It is in the interests of Korean companies to try to diversify to avoid this risk. This is because if a collision occurs, it could take a big toll on the Korean economy. The Rand Institute conducted an initial study on economic coercion. We analyzed the mechanisms that the G7 would apply against Chinese coercion. We looked at which products China relies on the most can be banned from exporting to China. We also looked at which allies are the most exposed and vulnerable if China retaliates, Australia and South Korea. In Australia, iron ore and telecommunications industries are the most vulnerable. Korea is a semiconductor and other electronic equipment. Therefore, any corporate executives who want to reduce risk in China should keep this in mind. We need to know that if there is a conflict with China one day, we may have to get support from our allies. Korea's semiconductor exports to China amount to $75 billion. That's less than 0.75% of GDP, but it could implode an industry. Combined with iron ore, telecommunications equipment and semiconductors, trade amounts to $195 billion. So the way to deal with China's coercion should include about $200 billion in victim relief funds. Therefore, it is in the national interest for the Korean government and industry to cooperate with their allies on these measures. Because they can be the beneficiaries right away.

진행자) 중국의 보복에 대항해 미한일이 무엇을 함께 할 수 있을까요?
Host: What can the U.S. and South Korea do together against China's retaliation?

줌월트 전 부차관보) 미한일 뿐 아니라 유럽, 호주, 캐나다도 함께해야 합니다. 많은 나라가 있지만 이것은 정말 많은 협의와 조율이 필요한 문제입니다. 중국의 보복은 무역에 그치지 않습니다. 사람들을 체포하는 것도 보복 수단으로 삼습니다. 미국이 밴쿠버에 입국한 화웨이 부회장을 인도해 달라고 요청했을 때 중국은 캐나다가 취한 조치에 대한 보복으로 캐나다 사업가 2명을 체포했습니다. 무역은 보복의 일부일 뿐입니다. 중국은 관광을 차단하는 등 다른 방법도 많이 동원했습니다. 한국과 호주 등도 그런 보복을 당한 적이 있습니다. 중국은 불만이 있을 때 다른 나라를 압박할 다양한 수단을 갖고 있습니다. 따라서 어떻게 협력할 것인지에 대해 폭넓게 논의해야 합니다. 동맹국이 서로 보상을 통해 도움을 줄 수 있습니다. 혹은 중국이 이런 도구를 사용하지 못하게 더 큰 비용을 부과해야 합니다.
Zumwalt: Not only is it Mihan, but Europe, Australia, and Canada should join us. There are many countries, but this is a matter that requires a lot of consultation and coordination. China's retaliation is not limited to trade. Arresting people is also a means of retaliation. When the U.S. asked for the extradition of Huawei's vice chairman, who entered Vancouver, China arrested two Canadian businessmen in retaliation for Canada's actions. Trade is only part of retaliation. China has also used many other methods, including blocking tourism. Korea and Australia have also suffered such retaliation. China has a variety of means to pressure other countries when there is dissatisfaction. Therefore, we need to discuss extensively how to cooperate. The allies can help each other by rewarding each other. Or you have to charge China a lot more to prevent it from using these tools.

진행자) 말로리 국장님. 더 하실 말씀이 있나요?
Director Mallory. Is there anything else you want to say?

말로리 국장) 중국은 상당히 취약한데 이 점은 잘 거론되지 않습니다. 중국 제품의 수입을 20% 줄이려면 8개국의 협력만 있으면 됩니다. 그 8개 국가 중 하나가 바로 한국입니다.
Director Mallory: China is quite vulnerable, and this is not mentioned very well. To reduce imports of Chinese products by 20 percent, it only takes cooperation from eight countries. One of the eight countries is Korea.

지금까지 제임스 줌월트 전 국무부 동아태 부차관보와 찰스 킹 말로리 4세 랜드연구소 국제 위험∙안보 국장의 대담을 들으셨습니다.
So far, you've heard talks between James Zumwalt, former Deputy Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs, and Charles King Mallory IV, Director of International Risk and Security at the Land Institute.

※ 위 대담 영상은 VOA 한국어 방송 웹사이트와 YouTube, Facebook의 '워싱턴 톡'에서 보실 수 있습니다.
The above interview video is available on VOA's Korean broadcasting website, YouTube, and Facebook's "Washington Talk."

[워싱턴 톡] “중국 강압 격퇴 어렵지 않아…한국 동참하면 중국 수출 20% 감소”please wait01000000-0aff-0242-5dd0-08db5e42956a_w250_r1.jpg

Embed share
Embed share

[워싱턴 톡] “중국 강압 격퇴 어렵지 않아…한국 동참하면 중국 수출 20% 감소”
[Washington Talk] "It's not hard to repel China's coercion...""If Korea joins, exports to China will decrease by 20%"

Embed share
Embed share

The code has been copied to your clipboard.
코드가 클립보드에 복사되었습니다.

width px height px
width px height px

The URL has been copied to your clipboard
URL이 클립보드에 복사되었습니다

No media source currently available
현재 사용 가능한 미디어 소스가 없습니다

0:00 0:25:00 0:00
0:00 0:25:00 0:00

다운로드
Download

• 240p | 56.4MB