'밤의 열기 속에서'와 '문스트럭'의 감독 노먼 제위슨, 97세로 사망 > 문화

본문 바로가기

문화

'밤의 열기 속에서'와 '문스트럭'의 감독 노먼 제위슨, 97세로 사망
Norman Jewison, Director of 'In the Heat of the Night' and 'Moonstruck,' Dead at 97

페이지 정보

작성자 Associated Press 작성일 24-01-22 17:20 댓글 0

본문

FILE - Director Norman Jewison poses in the press room after receiving a lifetime achievement award at the 62nd Annual DGA Awards in Los Angeles on Jan. 30, 2010.

파일 - Norman Jewison 감독이 1월 로스앤젤레스에서 열린 제62회 DGA Awards에서 평생 공로상을 받은 후 기자실에서 포즈를 취하고 있습니다
 FILE - Director Norman Jewison poses in the press room after receiving a lifetime achievement award at the 62nd Annual DGA Awards in Los Angeles on Jan. 30, 2010.

뉴욕 —
NEW YORK —

할리우드 영화들이 도리스 데이 코미디와 "문스트럭"에서부터 오스카 상을 수상한 "밤의 열기 속에서"와 같은 사회 드라마에 이르기까지 다양한 호평을 받고 다재다능한 캐나다 태생의 감독인 노먼 제위슨이 97세의 나이로 별세했습니다.
Norman Jewison, the acclaimed and versatile Canadian-born director whose Hollywood films ranged from Doris Day comedies and "Moonstruck" to social dramas such as the Oscar-winning "In the Heat of the Night," has died at age 97.

제프 샌더슨 홍보담당자에 따르면 1999년 아카데미 평생공로상을 수상한 오스카 후보 3회 수상자인 제위슨이 토요일 "평화롭게" 사망했다고 합니다. 더 자세한 사항은 즉각 알려지지 않았습니다.
Jewison, a three-time Oscar nominee who in 1999 received an Academy Award for lifetime achievement, died "peacefully" Saturday, according to publicist Jeff Sanderson. Additional details were not immediately available.

그의 오랜 경력 동안, Jewison은 가벼운 오락과 개인적인 깊은 관심을 끌었던 주제 영화들을 결합했습니다. 제2차 세계 대전 동안 Jewison이 캐나다 해군에서 군복무를 끝내고 있을 때, 그는 미국 남부 지역을 히치하이크하여 짐 크로우 분리에 대한 근접 시야를 가졌습니다. 그의 자서전 "이 끔찍한 사업은 내게 잘 해주었습니다"에서, 그는 인종 차별과 불공정이 그의 가장 흔한 주제가 되었다고 언급했습니다.
Throughout his long career, Jewison combined light entertainment with topical films that appealed to him on a deeply personal level. As Jewison was ending his military service in the Canadian navy during World War II, he hitchhiked through the American South and had a close-up view of Jim Crow segregation. In his autobiography "This Terrible Business Has Been Good to Me," he noted that racism and injustice became his most common themes.

"영화가 인종차별을 다룰 때마다 많은 미국인들은 불편함을 느낍니다. 하지만 그것은 맞서야 합니다. 우리는 편견과 부정의에 맞서야 합니다. 그렇지 않으면 우리는 선악과 옳고 그름을 결코 이해하지 못할 것입니다. 우리는 타자가 어떻게 느끼는지 느낄 필요가 있습니다."
"Every time a film deals with racism, many Americans feel uncomfortable," he wrote. "Yet it has to be confronted. We have to deal with prejudice and injustice or we will never understand what is good and evil, right and wrong; we need to feel how 'the other' feels."

그는 1967년 영화 '밤의 열기 속에서'에서 백인 인종차별주의자인 작은 마을 보안관 역을 맡은 로드 스티거와 필라델피아 출신 흑인 형사 역을 맡은 시드니 포이티어의 경험을 바탕으로 살인을 해결하는 데 도움을 주려다 결국 적대적인 지역 법률가와 작업 관계를 맺게 됩니다.
He drew upon his experiences for 1967's "In the Heat of the Night," starring Rod Steiger as a white racist small-town sheriff and Sidney Poitier as a Black detective from Philadelphia trying to help solve a murder and eventually forming a working relationship with the hostile local lawman.

FILE - Canadian film director Norman Jewison, left, poses with actor Sidney Poitier in Beverly Hills, April 24, 2001.

파일 - 캐나다 영화감독 Norman Jewison(왼쪽)이 배우 Sydney Poitier와 베벌리 힐스에서 포즈를 취하고 있습니다, 4월
 FILE - Canadian film director Norman Jewison, left, poses with actor Sidney Poitier in Beverly Hills, April 24, 2001.

제임스 볼드윈은 이 영화의 "현실로부터의 놀라운 거리"를 비난했고, 그 감독이 "흑인의 분노와 절망"을 고조시킬 인종간의 조화에 대한 환상에 갇혀있다고 생각했습니다. 하지만 뉴욕타임즈의 보슬리 크라우터는 이 영화가 강력하고 고무적이라고 생각한 비평가들 중 한 명이었고, "졸업생"과 "보니와 클라이드"와 같은 주요 지형물들이 등장한 한 해에, 쥬이슨의 작품은 아카데미 작품상을 수상했고, 스타이거는 남우주연상을 거머쥐었습니다. (쥬이슨은 "졸업생"의 마이크 니콜스에게 감독상을 빼앗겼습니다.
James Baldwin condemned the film's "appalling distance from reality," and thought the director trapped in a fantasy of racial harmony that would only heighten "Black rage and despair." But The New York Times' Bosley Crowther was among the critics who found the movie powerful and inspiring and, in a year, featuring such landmarks as "The Graduate" and "Bonnie and Clyde," Jewison's production won the Academy Award for best picture while Steiger took home the best actor Oscar. (Jewison lost out for best director to Mike Nichols of "The Graduate").

"밤의 열기 속에서"를 만들면서 유대인을 격려했던 사람들 중에: 아이다호의 선 밸리에서 스키 여행 중에 감독이 만난 로버트 F. 케네디.
Among those who encouraged Jewison while making "In the Heat of the Night": Robert F. Kennedy, whom the director met during a ski trip in Sun Valley, Idaho.

저는 그에게 제가 영화를 만들었다고 말했고, 그는 제가 어떤 종류의 영화를 만드는지 물었습니다."라고 그는 2011년 할리우드 리포터와의 인터뷰에서 회상했습니다. "그래서 저는 그에게 제가 '밤의 열기'를 작업하고 있었고, 그것은 두 명의 경찰에 관한 것이라고 말했습니다: 한 명은 미시시피에서 온 백인 보안관이고 다른 한 명은 필라델피아에서 온 흑인 형사입니다. 저는 그에게 그것은 관용에 관한 영화라고 말했습니다. 그래서 그는 듣고 고개를 끄덕였고, '노먼, 타이밍이 모든 것입니다. 정치, 예술, 삶 그 자체입니다'라고 말했습니다. 저는 그것을 결코 잊지 않았습니다."
"I told him I made films and he asked what kind I make," he recalled in a 2011 interview with The Hollywood Reporter. "So I told him that I was working on 'In the Heat of the Night' and that it's about two cops: one a white sheriff from Mississippi and the other a black detective from Philadelphia. I told him it was a film about tolerance. So he listened and nodded and said 'You know, Norman, timing is everything. In politics, in art, in life itself.' I never forgot that."

FILE - Toronto-born director and co-producer Norman Jewison is shown during filming of

파일 - 토론토 태생의 감독이자 공동 제작자인 Norman Jewison이 1988년 1월 캐나다 토론토에서 "Moonstruck" 촬영 중에 상영됩니다.
 FILE - Toronto-born director and co-producer Norman Jewison is shown during filming of "Moonstruck" in Toronto, Canada, in January 1988.

그는 "지붕 위의 피들러"와 "문스트럭"으로 두 개의 다른 오스카 상 후보에 올랐으며, 이로 인해 셰어는 아카데미 여우주연상을 수상했습니다. 그는 또한 냉전시대의 스푸프인 "러시아인들이 오고, 러시아인들이 오고 있다", 스티브 맥퀸 스릴러인 "토마스 크라운 어페어" 그리고 덴젤 워싱턴이 잘못 수감된 권투선수 루빈 "허리케인" 카터로 주연한 인종 드라마 "군인 이야기"와 "허리케인"으로 두 편의 영화를 작업했습니다.
He received two other Oscar nominations, for "Fiddler on the Roof" and "Moonstruck," the beloved romantic comedy for which Cher won an Academy Award for best actress. He also worked on such notable films as the Cold War spoof "The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming," the Steve McQueen thriller "The Thomas Crown Affair" and a pair of movies featuring Denzel Washington: the racial drama "A Soldier's Story" and "The Hurricane," starring Washington as wrongly imprisoned boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter.

FILE - Actress and singer Cher, right, speaks to an audience as director Norman Jewison looks on at a tribute event and screening for Jewison at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art in Los Angeles, April 17, 2009.

파일 - 여배우이자 가수인 셰어(오른쪽)가 4월 로스앤젤레스에 있는 로스앤젤레스 카운티 미술관에서 열린 추모행사와 상영회에서 노먼 제위슨 감독이 관객들에게 말하고 있습니다
 FILE - Actress and singer Cher, right, speaks to an audience as director Norman Jewison looks on at a tribute event and screening for Jewison at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art in Los Angeles, April 17, 2009.

워싱턴과의 세 번째 프로젝트는 제작에 성공하지 못했습니다. 1990년대 초, Jewison은 Malcolm X의 전기를 감독할 예정이었지만 백인 감독이 이 영화를 만들지 말아야 한다는 Spike Lee와 다른 사람들의 항의로 인해 물러났습니다. Lee가 감독을 맡게 되었습니다.
A third project with Washington never made it to production. In the early 1990s, Jewison was set to direct a biography of Malcolm X, but backed out amid protests from Spike Lee and others that a white director shouldn't make the film. Lee ended up directing.

"밤의 열기 속에서", "러시아인들이 오고, 러시아인들이 오고," "지붕 위의 피들러", "문스트럭" 그리고 "군인의 이야기" 등 다섯 편의 유대인 영화가 오스카상 후보에 올랐습니다
Five Jewison films received best Oscar nominations: "In the Heat of the Night," "The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming," "Fiddler on the Roof," "Moonstruck" and "A Soldier's Story."

유대인과 그의 아내 마가렛 앤 딕슨(닉네임 딕시)은 세 자녀를 두었는데, 케빈과 마이클, 그리고 배우가 되어 영화 신의 아그네스와 베스트 프렌즈에 출연했습니다. 유대인 부부는 51년 동안 결혼생활을 했으며, 2004년 사망했습니다. 그는 2010년 린 세인트 데이비드와 결혼했습니다.
Jewison and his wife Margaret Ann Dixon (nicknamed Dixie) had three children, sons Kevin and Michael and daughter Jennifer Ann, who became an actress and appeared in the Jewison films "Agnes of God" and "Best Friends." The Jewisons were married 51 years, until her death in 2004. He married Lynne St. David in 2010.

FILE - Norman Jewison, right, poses with his wife Lynne St. David at the TCL Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles, April 6, 2017.

파일 - Norman Jewison(오른쪽)이 2017년 4월 6일 로스앤젤레스의 TCL Chinese Theatre에서 아내 Lynne St. David와 포즈를 취하고 있습니다.
 FILE - Norman Jewison, right, poses with his wife Lynne St. David at the TCL Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles, April 6, 2017.

2003년 캐나다가 총독 공연 예술상을 수여한 Jewison은 고국에 가까이 남아있었습니다. 그가 일을 하지 않을 때, 그는 토론토 근처 200에이커의 농장에서 살았고, 그곳에서 말과 소를 키웠고 메이플 시럽을 생산했습니다. 그는 1988년에 캐나다 영화 센터를 설립했고 수년 동안 토론토 영화제 동안 바비큐를 열었습니다.
Jewison, honored by Canada in 2003 with a Governor General's Performing Arts Award, remained close to his home country. When he wasn't working, he lived on a 200-acre farm near Toronto, where he raised horses and cattle and produced maple syrup. He founded the Canadian Film Centre in 1988 and for years hosted barbecues during the Toronto Film Festival.

토론토에서 태어난 그 유대인은 6살 때 연기를 시작했고, 메이슨의 오두막집 모임에 출연했습니다. 빅토리아 칼리지를 졸업한 후, 그는 런던의 BBC에서 일하기 시작했고, 캐나다로 돌아와 CBC를 위한 프로그램을 감독했습니다. 그곳에서 그의 작품은 할리우드로부터 제안을 받았고, 그는 주디 갈랜드, 대니 케이, 해리 벨라폰테를 포함한 스타들과 함께 TV 뮤지컬의 감독으로서 빠르게 명성을 얻었습니다. 1963년 토니 커티스와 수잔 플레셰트가 주연한 코미디 영화 "40 파운드의 문제"로 유대인은 장편 영화로 전향했습니다.
The Toronto-born Jewison began acting at age 6, appearing before Masonic lodge gatherings. After graduating from Victoria College, he went to work for the BBC in London, then returned to Canada and directed programs for the CBC. His work there brought offers from Hollywood, and he quickly earned a reputation as a director of TV musicals, with stars including Judy Garland, Danny Kaye and Harry Belafonte. Jewison shifted to feature films in 1963 with the comedy "40 Pounds of Trouble," starring Tony Curtis and Suzanne Pleshette.

감독의 가벼운 접촉은 유니버설이 그를 제임스 가너와 짝을 지은 "The Thrill of It All"과 데이와 록 허드슨이 주연한 "Send Me No Flowers"를 포함한 일련의 코미디에 배정하도록 자극했습니다. 그런 대본에 싫증이 난 쥬이슨은 1965년 맥퀸과 에드워드 G. 로빈슨이 주연한 도박 세계의 드라마인 "신시내티 키드"를 위해 MGM으로 이적하기로 계약에서 허점을 이용했습니다. 그는 칼 라이너와 에바 마리 생이 주연하고 앨런 아킨의 돌파구가 된 영화인 "러시아인들이 오고 있고 러시아인들이 오고 있다"를 그 뒤를 이었습니다.
The director's light touch prompted Universal to assign him to a series of comedies, including "The Thrill of It All," which paired Day with James Garner, and "Send Me No Flowers," starring Day and Rock Hudson. Wearying of such scripts, Jewison used a loophole in his contract to move to MGM for 1965's "The Cincinnati Kid," a drama of the gambling world starring McQueen and Edward G. Robinson. He followed with "The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming," which starred Carl Reiner and Eva Marie Saint and was the breakthrough film for Alan Arkin.

그의 다른 영화들은 지미 호파 스타일의 노동 지도자로서 실베스터 스탤론과 함께 한 플롭인 "F.I.S.T"와 비뚤어진 사법 체계와 싸우고 있는 알 파치노와 함께한 "... 그리고 모두를 위한 정의" (1979) 그리고 베트남전 참전 용사로서 브루스 윌리스를 주인공으로 한 "인 컨트리"를 포함했습니다. 그의 가장 최근 작품인 2003년 스릴러 "더 스테이트먼트"는 마이클 케인과 틸다 스윈튼이 주연을 맡았고 박스 오피스에 진출했습니다.
His other films included "F.I.S.T.", a flop with Sylvester Stallone as a Jimmy Hoffa-style labor leader; "... And Justice for All" (1979), with Al Pacino fighting a crooked judicial system; and "In Country," featuring Bruce Willis as a Vietnam War veteran. His most recent work, the 2003 thriller "The Statement," starred Michael Caine and Tilda Swinton and flopped at the box office.

저는 결코 제가 원하는 만큼 조직의 일원이 되지 못했습니다."라고 그는 2011년 할리우드 리포터에게 말했습니다. "저는 받아들여지고 싶었습니다. 저는 사람들이 '그것은 훌륭한 사진이었다'고 말하기를 원했습니다. 제 말은 저는 다른 사람들처럼 큰 자아를 가지고 있다는 것입니다. 저는 위축되는 바이올렛이 아닙니다. 하지만 저는 완전히 받아들여졌다고 느끼지는 못했지만, 어쩌면 그것은 좋은 것 같습니다."
"I never really became as much a part of the establishment as I wanted to be," he told The Hollywood Reporter in 2011. "I wanted to be accepted. I wanted people to say 'that was a great picture.' I mean I have a big ego like anyone else. I'm no shrinking violet. But I never felt totally accepted — but maybe that's good."

출처 : VOANews

댓글목록 0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

깨다커뮤니케이션 | 서울 서초구 방배중앙로 401호
광고 및 제휴문의 : [email protected]
Copyright © 깨다닷컴. All rights reserved.