다큐멘터리에서 감독 아이보리가 아프가니스탄의 아름다움을 묘사합니다 > 문화

본문 바로가기

문화

다큐멘터리에서 감독 아이보리가 아프가니스탄의 아름다움을 묘사합니다
In Documentary, Director Ivory Portrays Beauty of Afghanistan

페이지 정보

작성자 Agence France-Presse 작성일 24-01-19 01:10 댓글 0

본문

FILE - James Ivory poses with the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for 'Call Me by Your Name,' during the 90th Annual Academy Awards on March 4, 2018, in Hollywood.

파일 - 제임스 아이보리가 2018년 3월 4일 할리우드에서 열린 제90회 아카데미 시상식에서 '콜 미 바이 유어 네임'으로 오스카 각색상을 수상하며 포즈를 취하고 있습니다.
 FILE - James Ivory poses with the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for 'Call Me by Your Name,' during the 90th Annual Academy Awards on March 4, 2018, in Hollywood.

파리 —
Paris —

오스카상을 수상한 최고령자인 유명한 감독 제임스 아이보리는 1960년 아프가니스탄으로의 그의 형성적인 여행에 대한 다큐멘터리로 95세의 나이에 아직도 영화를 만들고 있습니다.
The oldest person ever to win an Oscar, renowned director James Ivory, is still making films at 95, with a documentary about his formative trip to Afghanistan in 1960.

미국인이지만, 아이보리는 Anthony Hopkins가 주연한 Room with Daniel Day-Lewis와 Howard's End를 포함하여 영국인들의 억압된 감정에 대한 일련의 코스튬 드라마로 가장 잘 알려져 있습니다.
Though American, Ivory is best-known for a string of costume dramas about the repressed emotions of Brits, including Remains of the Day and Howard's End, both starring Anthony Hopkins, and Room with a View with Daniel Day-Lewis.

2017년, 그는 티모티 샬라멧이 십대 시절 자신의 섹슈얼리티를 발견한 '콜 미 바이 유어 네임'의 각본으로 새로운 세대에 도달했고, 이로써 89세의 나이로 아이보리는 오스카 상을 수상했습니다.
In 2017, he reached a new generation with his screenplay for Call Me By Your Name starring Timothee Chalamet as a teenager discovering his sexuality, which won Ivory an Oscar at the age of 89.

그러나 그의 경력은 베니스와 남아시아에서 예술에 관한 영화를 만드는 학생으로서 시작되었습니다.
But his career began as a student making films about art in Venice and South Asia.

그는 AFP통신에 "인도에서 영화를 만들고 있었는데 점점 더워지고 있었다"고 말했습니다.
"I was making a film in India, and it was getting hotter and hotter," he told AFP.

"저는 1분도 더 참을 수가 없었습니다. 후원자들이 더 시원한 기후로 가라고 해서 저는 아프가니스탄으로 갔습니다. 저는 그것에 대해 아무것도 몰랐지만, 갔습니다."
"I couldn't take it another minute. The backers told me to go to a cooler climate, so I went to Afghanistan. I knew nothing about it, but I went."

수십 년 후, 카불에서 촬영한 그의 영상은 아프가니스탄을 수십 년간 폭력으로 몰아넣을 전쟁과 극단주의 이전의 평화로운 모습을 보여주는 다큐멘터리로 제작되었습니다.
Decades later, his footage from Kabul has been worked into a documentary that shows a peaceful Afghanistan, before the wars and extremism that would drag it into decades of violence.

"(영상은) 첫 번째 릴에서부터 놀라웠고, 매우 시적이고 신비스러웠습니다," 라고 코트디부아르의 기록 보관소에서 영상을 파낸 후 이 영화를 한데 모으는 것을 도왔던 오랜 협력자인 자일스 가드너가 말했습니다.
"(The footage) was amazing from the first reel, very poetic and mysterious," said Giles Gardner, a long-time collaborator who helped pull the film together after digging the footage out of Ivory's archives.

그는 "아프가니스탄에 대해 우리가 알고 있는 모든 것과 함께, 아프가니스탄을 아름다움의 장소로 여기는 생각은 지워졌습니다"라고 말했습니다.
"With all we know about Afghanistan, the violence we see on the news, this idea of it as a place of beauty has been erased," he said.

제작자 이스마엘 머천트를 만난 것은 아프가니스탄에서 돌아온 직후였기 때문에, 결과물인 '더 시원한 기후'는 아이보리의 경력에 대한 일종의 기원 이야기 역할을 합니다. 그들은 개인적으로 그리고 전문적으로 관여하게 되었고, 머천트가 2005년 사망할 때까지 40편 이상의 영화를 함께 만들었습니다.
The resulting film, A Cooler Climate, serves as a sort of origin story for Ivory's career, since it was immediately after returning from Afghanistan that he met producer Ismael Merchant. They became personally and professionally involved and went on to make more than 40 films together until Merchant's death in 2005.

그때쯤 그들의 이름인 상인 아이보리는 수준 높은 시대극의 대명사가 되었습니다.
By then their names — Merchant Ivory — had become a byword for high-quality period dramas.

두 사람의 열애 사실은 머천트가 보수적인 인도 가정 출신이었기 때문에 생전에 밝혀진 적이 없습니다.
Their romantic relationship was never revealed during Merchant's lifetime as he came from a conservative Indian family.

하지만 아이보리 씨는 자신의 삶이 대체로 순풍이었다고 말했습니다. 오리건 주의 한 마을에서 게이로 자라나는 것은 괜찮았고, 심지어 목가적이었다고 그는 주장했습니다.
But Ivory said his own life was largely a breeze. Growing up gay in an Oregon town was fine, even idyllic, he insisted.

그는 "사람들이 왜 내가 탈출해야 했다고 생각하는지 모르겠다, 나는 행복한 젊은이였다"고 말했습니다.
"I don't know why people think I had to escape anything, I was a happy young man," he said.

다큐멘터리 상영을 위해 유럽과 미국을 오가며 95년 동안 건강한 상태를 유지하고 있는 그는 친구들, 특히 머천트와 그들의 글쓰기 파트너인 소설가 루스 프라워 자발라를 잃은 슬픔 외에도 후회는 거의 없는 사람으로 다가옵니다.
Still in good shape for 95, traveling between Europe and the U.S. for screenings of the documentary, he comes across as a man of few regrets, apart from the sadness at losing friends, particularly Merchant and their writing partner, novelist Ruth Prawer Jhabvala.

"저는 그들이 매일 여기에 있었으면 좋겠어요," 라고 그가 말했습니다. "저는 그들을 사랑해요. 저는 이제 매우 나이가 들었고 가까운 친구들이 있지만, 그들이 매우 그립습니다."
"I wish they were here every day," he said. "I love them. I'm a very old man now and have close friends, but I miss them very much."

출처 : VOANews

댓글목록 0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

깨다커뮤니케이션 | 서울 서초구 방배중앙로 401호
광고 및 제휴문의 : [email protected]
Copyright © 깨다닷컴. All rights reserved.