작가 윌버 스미스, 아프리카 모험 연대기 작가 88세에 세상을 떠나요 > 문화

본문 바로가기

문화

작가 윌버 스미스, 아프리카 모험 연대기 작가 88세에 세상을 떠나요
Author Wilbur Smith, Chronicler of African Adventures, Dies at 88

페이지 정보

작성자 Agence France-Presse 작성일 21-11-13 19:30 댓글 0

본문

FILE: Acclaimed African-born author Wilbur Smith shares his experiences atf the International Festival of Literature in Dubai, Feb. 27, 2009.

파일: 찬사를 받는 아프리카 태생의 작가 윌버 스미스가 2월 두바이에서 열린 국제 문학 축제에서 자신의 경험을 공유합니다.
 FILE: Acclaimed African-born author Wilbur Smith shares his experiences atf the International Festival of Literature in Dubai, Feb. 27, 2009.

파리입니다.
PARIS —

잠비아 태생의 소설가 윌버 스미스는 아프리카 대륙에서 극적인 모험을 기록했고, 그의 액션으로 가득 찬 삶을 그린 국제적으로 찬사를 받는 소설을 만들었습니다.
Zambia-born novelist Wilbur Smith chronicled dramatic adventures on the African continent, creating internationally acclaimed fiction that drew on his own action-packed life.

스미스가 88세의 나이로 남아프리카에서 사망했다고 그의 출판사가 토요일 발표했습니다.
Smith died in South Africa at age 88, his publisher announced Saturday.

그는 1964년 데뷔 소설 "사자가 먹이를 먹을 때"로 인정을 받았습니다. 이 이야기는 남아프리카의 한 목장에서 자라 15편의 속편으로 이어져 200년 넘게 야심 찬 가족의 부를 추적했습니다.
He gained recognition in 1964 with his debut novel "When the Lion Feeds," the tale of a young man growing up on a South African cattle ranch that led to 15 sequels, tracing the ambitious family's fortunes for more than 200 years.

"저는 초기 아프리카 역사의 한 덩어리를 파고들었습니다. 저는 흑인과 백인에 대해 썼습니다. 저는 사냥과 금광, 채광, 그리고 여성에 대해 썼습니다,"라고 그는 공식 웹사이트에 있는 전기에서 말했습니다.
"I wove into the story chunks of early African history. I wrote about Black people and white. I wrote about hunting and gold mining and carousing and women," he said in a biography on his official website.

그는 또한 치밀한 역사 연구와 자신의 광범위한 여행에 기대어 50년에 걸친 경력 동안 거의 50권의 소설을 쓰고 약 1억 3천만 권의 책을 팔았던 방법을 확립했습니다.
He also leaned on meticulous historical research and his own extensive travels, establishing a method he would use over a career spanning five decades in which he wrote nearly 50 novels and sold about 130 million books.

또 다른 황금률은 그의 출판사인 찰스 픽으로부터 나왔습니다.
Another golden rule came from his publisher, Charles Pick.

"그는 '당신이 잘 아는 것들에 대해서만 쓰라'고 말했어요." 그 이후로 저는 아프리카에 대해서만 글을 썼습니다,"라고 스미스는 말했습니다.
"He said: 'Write only about those things you know well.' Since then I have written only about Africa," Smith said.

타고난 사냥꾼입니다
Born hunter

1933년 1월 9일 당시 북로디지아의 영국 가정에서 태어난 스미스는 어릴 때부터 부모님의 큰 목장에서 아프리카의 숲, 언덕, 사바나를 만났습니다.
Born on January 9, 1933, to a British family in what was then Northern Rhodesia, Smith encountered from an early age the forest, hills and savannah of Africa on his parents' large ranch.

그는 어머니에게 자연을 사랑하고 읽는 법을 가르친 공로를 인정했고, 아버지는 8살 때 그에게 총을 주었는데, 그가 인정했던 것은 총기와 사냥에 대한 평생의 사랑이었습니다.
He credits his mother with teaching him to love nature and reading, while his father gave him a rifle at the age of 8, the start of what he acknowledged was a lifelong love affair with firearms and hunting.

존 르 카레의 작품에는 스파이보다 더 큰 게임 사냥꾼들이 있습니다. 하지만 그가 페이지보다 실제 생활에서 훨씬 더 많은 동물들을 도살했을 가능성이 있습니다."라고 영국의 데일리 텔레그래프는 2014년에 썼습니다.
"There are more big-game hunters in Smith's oeuvre than spies in the works of John le Carre, and yet it is possible that he has slaughtered even more animals in real life than on the page," Britain's Daily Telegraph wrote in 2014.

또한 스쿠버 다이버이자 산악인이었던 스미스는 1970년 소설 "골드 마인"을 위해 남아프리카의 금광에서 몇 주 동안 일을 했다고 말하면서 연구에 뛰어들기를 두려워하지 않았습니다.
Also a scuba diver and mountain climber in his time, Smith was not afraid to throw himself into his research, saying that for his 1970 novel "Gold Mine" he took a job in a South African gold mine for a few weeks.

"저는 팀의 특권 있는 멤버였고, 질문을 할 수 있었고, 닥치라는 말을 들을 수 없었습니다."라고 그는 데일리 텔레그래프에 자신의 경험에 대해 말했습니다.
"I was a sort of privileged member of the team, I could ask questions and not be told to shut up," he told the Daily Telegraph of his experience.

'액션맨 작가'
'Action-man author'

스미스는 남아프리카 공화국의 로즈 대학에서 공부했고, 그의 아버지가 그의 웹사이트에 다시 언급할 때까지 기자가 되려고 했습니다. "빌어먹을 바보가 되지 마세요. … 가서 진정한 직업을 찾으세요."
Smith studied at South Africa's Rhodes University, intending to become a journalist until his father said, as he recounts on his website, "Don't be a bloody fool. … Go and find yourself a real job."

공인 회계사로서 "영혼을 파괴하는" 일이 있었고, 그 동안 그는 소설로 전향했습니다.
There followed a "soul-destroying" stint as a chartered accountant, during which he turned to fiction.

"사자가 먹이를 줄 때"의 성공은 그가 전업 작가가 되도록 격려했고 코트니 시리즈로 이어졌고, 그것은 첫 번째 책 이후 50여 년이 지난 2017년에 출판된 "호랑이의 먹이"까지 이어졌습니다.
The success of "When the Lion Feeds" encouraged him to become a full-time writer and led to the Courtney series, which runs up to "The Tiger's Prey" published in 2017, more than 50 years after the first book.

4부작 발란타인 시리즈는 식민지 부와 오늘날의 짐바브웨의 옛 로디지아에서의 인종 투쟁을 주제로 하고 있습니다. 독립 소설로는 "태양새"와 "위험한 자들" (2011)이 있지만, 이집트에 관한 시리즈도 있습니다.
The four-part Ballantyne series is themed on colonial wealth and the racial struggle in the former Rhodesia, today's Zimbabwe. There is also a series on Egypt, while standalone novels include "The Sunbird" (1972) and "Those in Peril" (2011).

그의 책들은 약 30개의 언어로 번역되었고, 1976년 리 마빈과 로저 무어와 함께 한 "악마의 외침"을 포함하여, 일부는 영화로 만들어졌습니다.
His books have been translated into around 30 languages and some made into films, including "Shout at the Devil" with Lee Marvin and Roger Moore in 1976.

스미스를 "최종 액션맨 작가"라고 묘사하면서, 2017년 영국의 데일리 메일은 스미스의 책들이 "정치적으로 잘못된 섹스, 폭력, 일상적인 여성 혐오, 큰 게임 사냥꾼, 광업, 완전한 가슴의 여성과 도살된 짐승"을 고려할 때 여전히 어필할 수 있다고 말했습니다.
Describing Smith as the "ultimate action-man author," Britain's Daily Mail in 2017 remarked that it was perhaps surprising his books still appeal considering their "politically incorrect whirl of sex, violence, casual misogyny, big-game hunters, mining, full-breasted women and slaughtered beasts."

모험의 삶이요
A life of adventure

자신의 성공 비결에 대한 질문에 답하면서, 그는 이것이 실생활에 조금 "배치"하는 것에 관한 것이라고 말합니다.
Answering a question on his site about the secret of his success, he says it is about "embroidering" a bit on real life.

"저는 여러분이 만나는 어떤 여성들보다도 더 남자답고 아름다운 여성들에 대해 씁니다,"라고 그는 말했고, 그가 때때로 공동 작가들과 함께 일했다는 것을 확인하며 말했습니다.
"I write about men who are more manly and beautiful women who are really more beautiful than any women you'd meet," he said, confirming he sometimes worked with co-writers.

2018년에 출판된 그의 자서전 "표범바위에"는 사자의 공격을 받고, 아프리카 덤불에서 길을 잃고, 금광의 위태로운 터널을 기어다니는 것을 포함한 자신의 모험을 기록했습니다.
Published in 2018, his autobiography "On Leopard Rock" chronicles his own adventures, including being attacked by lions, getting lost in the African bush and crawling through the precarious tunnels of gold mines.

그는 마지막 아내인 타지키스탄 출신의 모키니소 라키모바와 39살 연하로 4번 결혼했습니다.
He was married four times, with his last wife, Mokhiniso Rakhimova from Tajikistan, his junior by 39 years.

스미스는 대부분의 시간을 남아프리카 공화국에서 보냈고 케이프 타운, 런던, 스위스, 몰타에 집을 가지고 있었습니다.
Smith spent most of his time in South Africa and had homes in Cape Town, London, Switzerland and Malta.

출처 : VOANews

댓글목록 0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

깨다커뮤니케이션 | 서울 서초구 방배중앙로 401호
광고 및 제휴문의 : [email protected]
Copyright © 깨다닷컴. All rights reserved.