사이클론 모카 이후 방글라데시의 로힝야 난민들을 위한 정신 건강 지원 개선을 촉구합니다 > 사회

본문 바로가기

사회

사이클론 모카 이후 방글라데시의 로힝야 난민들을 위한 정신 건강 지원 개선을 촉구합니다
Call for Better Mental Health Support for Rohingya Refugees in Bangladesh, After Cyclone Mocha

페이지 정보

작성자 Sarah Aziz 작성일 23-05-30 09:01 댓글 0

본문

Rohingya refugee children in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, create a makeshift playground amidst the ruins of their shelters after Cyclone Mocha. (Md. Jamal/VOA)

방글라데시 콕스 바자르의 로힝야 난민 어린이들이 사이클론 모카 이후 대피소 폐허 속에 임시 놀이터를 만들고 있습니다. (Md. Jamal/VOA)
 Rohingya refugee children in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, create a makeshift playground amidst the ruins of their shelters after Cyclone Mocha. (Md. Jamal/VOA)

인도 콜카타 -
Kolkata, India —

어느 추운 저녁, 해가 진 후 기도를 마친 후, 한 여성이 실이 달린 스카프로 아이들을 따뜻하게 하기 위해 가까이 끌어안습니다. 그들은 대나무 막대기와 플라스틱 시트로 만들어진 지금은 황폐해진 대피소 밖에 옹기종기 모여 앉아 있습니다. 두 아이의 어머니는 아이들의 시선을 피해 눈물을 흘립니다.
On a cold evening, after completing her maghreb (post-sunset) prayer, a woman holds her children close to keep them warm with her threadbare scarf. They sit huddled together outside a now-dilapidated shelter made of bamboo sticks and plastic sheets — their home. Shielded from her children’s gaze, the mother of two lets tears slip down her face.

미망인인 28세의 콘소마 카툰은 지난 5월 방글라데시 일부 지역과 미얀마를 강타한 사이클론 모카로 인해 영향을 받은 방글라데시 콕스바자르의 로힝야 난민 백만 명 중 한 명입니다.
The widowed woman, 28-year-old Konsoma Khatun, is one among the million Rohingya refugees in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, who have been affected by the devastating Cyclone Mocha that hit parts of the country and Myanmar in May.

유엔 관리들에 따르면, 열대성 사이클론으로 인한 홍수와 산사태로 콕스 바자르 캠프에 거주하는 약 4만 명의 난민들의 피난처가 파괴되거나 손상되었다고 합니다.
The flooding and landslides caused by the tropical cyclone destroyed or damaged the shelters of around 40,000 refugees residing in the Cox’s Bazar camps, according to U.N. officials.

그러나 피해는 물리적인 것만은 아니었습니다.
The damage done was not just physical, though.

"사이클론은 저에게 신체적으로 해를 끼치지 않았고, 우리의 대피소는 부분적으로만 손상되었습니다. 하지만 뭔가 다른 것이 저를 점령한 것 같습니다. 콘소마는 전화 및 비디오 인터뷰에서 VOA에 "이사할 의지가 전혀 없습니다."라고 말했습니다.
“The cyclone did not harm me physically, and our shelter has only been partially damaged. But something else seems to have taken over me. I simply cannot muster the will to move,” Konsoma told VOA in a pair of phone and video interviews.

그녀의 스트레스 뒤에 있는 이유가 방글라데시의 대부분의 로힝야 난민들에게 적절한 식사의 유일한 공급원인 세계식량계획에 의해 시행된 최근의 식량 배급 삭감 때문이냐는 질문에 콘소마는 그것을 부인했습니다.
When asked if the reason behind her stress was the latest food ration cuts implemented by the World Food Program, the only source of proper meals for most Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh, Konsoma denied it.

"제 아이들과 제가 받는 유일한 괜찮은 식사는 일주일에 한 번 정도 우리에게 제공되는 WFP의 식사입니다. 하지만 그것은 아닙니다. 사이클론이 제 마음에 영향을 미쳤습니다. 저의 슬픔은 며칠 동안 배가 고픈 제 아이들을 위해 제가 일어나서 어떤 준비를 하는 것을 허락하지 않는 것입니다. 저는 완전히 길을 잃은 것 같아요," 라고 그녀가 말했습니다.
“The only decent meal my children and I receive is that from WFP, provided to us once a week or so. But it is not that — the cyclone has affected my mind. My sadness is not allowing me to get up and make some arrangements for my children, who have been hungry for days. I feel completely lost,” she said.

Cyclone Mocha, which hit Bangladesh this month, caused great destruction to the flimsy shelters of over a million Rohingya refugees. (Md. Jamal/VOA)

이번 달 방글라데시를 강타한 사이클론 모카는 백만 명이 넘는 로힝야족 난민들의 빈약한 대피소에 큰 피해를 입혔습니다. (Md. Jamal/VOA)
 Cyclone Mocha, which hit Bangladesh this month, caused great destruction to the flimsy shelters of over a million Rohingya refugees. (Md. Jamal/VOA)

비록 그들 대부분이 그것의 공식적인 용어를 알지 못하지만, 동남아시아에 기반을 둔 인권 단체인 Fortify Rights가 2020년에 발표한 연구에 따르면 방글라데시의 Rohingya 커뮤니티는 "심각한 정신 건강 위기"를 겪고 있습니다.
Although most of them are not aware of the formal terminology of it, the Rohingya community in Bangladesh is undergoing a “severe mental health crisis, according to a study published in 2020 by Fortify Rights, a human rights organization based in Southeast Asia.

Fortify Rights의 책임자인 John Quinley 3세는 VOA에 사이클론 모카가 로힝야족의 정신 건강에 영향을 미치는 많은 문제 중 하나일 뿐이라고 말했습니다.
John Quinley III, director at Fortify Rights, told VOA that Cyclone Mocha is just one of the many issues affecting the mental health of the Rohingya.

"로힝야족은 대량학살 생존자이며 미얀마 군부에 의해 끔찍한 범죄를 경험했습니다. 그들은 여전히 그들이 현재 살고 있는 방글라데시 캠프에서 많은 사람들의 학대를 경험하고 있습니다," 라고 그가 말했습니다.
“The Rohingya are genocide survivors and have experienced horrific crimes by the military in Myanmar. They still experience abuse at the hands of many in the Bangladesh camps where they live now,” he said.

Fortify Rights가 수행한 연구는 또한 우울증과 정서적 고통 외에도, 많은 로힝야족이 경험한 외상 후 스트레스 장애(PTSD)를 나타내는 것으로 밝혀졌는데, 이는 건설적인 삶을 사는 것을 방해할 수 있는 정신 건강 상태입니다.
Research conducted by Fortify Rights also revealed that besides depression and emotional distress, the trauma symptoms experienced by many of the Rohingya indicate Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), a mental health condition that can hinder one from living a constructive life.

Konsoma는 Cox's Bazar에서 난민으로 5년 넘게 살고 있습니다. 그녀는 "가끔 저는 이곳에서 극복할 수 없는 고통을 받으며 로힝야족으로 사는 것보다 죽는 것이 낫다고 느낍니다."라고 말합니다
Konsoma has been living in Cox’s Bazar as a refugee for more than five years. She says, “Sometimes I feel it would be better to die than to live as a Rohingya here with unsurmountable suffering.”

도움의 손길을 뻗치기 위해, 유엔난민기구(UNHCR)와 기아대책(ACF)과 같은 몇몇 지역 및 국제 NGO들은 방글라데시 난민들을 위한 정신 건강 및 심리 사회적 지원(MHPSS) 계획을 세웠습니다.
Aiming to extend a helping hand, the U.N. Refugee Agency (UNHCR) and several local and international NGOs like Action Against Hunger (ACF) have set up mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) initiatives for the refugees in Bangladesh.

Rohingya refugees gather in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh for a mental health and psychosocial support session organized by a volunteer working at Research, Training and Management (RTM) International. (Mohammed Rezuwan Khan/VOA)

RTM(Research, Trainingya) 인터내셔널에서 일하는 자원봉사자에 의해 조직된 정신 건강 및 심리 사회적 지원 세션을 위해 방글라데시 콕스 바자르에 로힝야 난민들이 모입니다. (Mohammed Rezuwan Khan/VOA)
 Rohingya refugees gather in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh for a mental health and psychosocial support session organized by a volunteer working at Research, Training and Management (RTM) International. (Mohammed Rezuwan Khan/VOA)

콕스 바자르의 UNHCR 정신건강 및 심리사회적 지원 담당자인 히빈 알리는 정신건강이 모든 사람에게 영향을 미치는 문제이기 때문에 아동보호, 건강, 성별 기반 폭력과 같은 로힝야족에 대한 UNHCR의 모든 개입은 정신건강 지원 요소를 통합했다고 말했습니다.
Hivine Ali, UNHCR Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Officer in Cox’s Bazar, said that since mental health is an issue that affects all, every UNHCR intervention for the Rohingya such as Child Protection, Health, and Gender-based Violence has integrated mental health support components.

"우리는 또한 심리 사회적 지원을 훈련받은 로힝야 난민 네트워크와 협력하고 있습니다. 그들은 분노 관리, 긍정적인 육아 기술, 아동 대 아동 동료 지원과 같은 주제에 대해 그들의 공동체에서 인식을 높입니다."라고 그녀는 VOA에 말했습니다.
“We also work with a network of Rohingya refugees who are trained in psychosocial support. They raise awareness in their own community on topics, such as anger management, positive parenting skills and child-to-child peer support,” she told VOA.

ACF의 MHPSS 및 아시아 보호 기술 고문인 Laetitia Clouin은 VOA에 ACF가 2022년까지 콕스 바자르에서 MHPSS 프로그램을 광범위하게 운영했지만, 현재 캠프 내 두 곳의 안정화 센터에서 엄마와 영양실조 어린이를 지원하는 심리학자 및 심리사회 종사자 팀을 두고 있다고 말했습니다.
Laetitia Clouin, ACF’s MHPSS and Protection Technical Advisor for Asia, told VOA that while ACF had widespread MHPSS programs in Cox’s Bazar until 2022, they now have a team of psychologists and psychosocial workers supporting mothers and malnourished children in two stabilization centers in the camps.

그러나 많은 사람들이 이러한 이니셔티브의 효과와 품질을 비판했습니다.
However, many have criticized the efficacy and quality of these initiatives.

Mohammed Eliyeas, a Rohingya refugee, sits with his wife and children outside their damaged shelter in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, after Cyclone Mocha. The catastrophe has caused great emotional and mental distress to the family, among a million other refugees in the country. (Mohammed Rezuwan Khan/VOA)

사이클론 모카 이후 방글라데시 콕스 바자르에 있는 손상된 대피소 밖에서 로힝야족 난민인 모하메드 엘리예스가 아내와 아이들과 함께 앉아 있습니다. 이 재앙은 이 나라에 있는 백만 명의 다른 난민들 사이에서 가족들에게 큰 정서적, 정신적 고통을 안겨주었습니다. (모함메드 레즈완 칸/VOA)
 Mohammed Eliyeas, a Rohingya refugee, sits with his wife and children outside their damaged shelter in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, after Cyclone Mocha. The catastrophe has caused great emotional and mental distress to the family, among a million other refugees in the country. (Mohammed Rezuwan Khan/VOA)

콕스 바자르에 기반을 둔 로힝야족 난민인 모하메드 엘리예스(53)는 VOA와의 인터뷰에서 조직 소속 전문 상담가나 로힝야족 자원봉사자 모두 지역사회에 효과적인 정신 건강 지원을 제공하지 않는다고 말했습니다.
Mohammed Eliyeas, 53, a Cox’s Bazar-based Rohingya refugee, told VOA that neither organization-affiliated professional counsellors nor Rohingya volunteers provide effective mental health support to the community.

"상담원과 자원봉사자들은 종종 사소한 문제에 대해 험담을 하며 시간을 보냅니다.
“The counsellors and volunteers often just spend the time gossiping about petty issues.

"저는 모카보다 훨씬 전부터 MHPSS 프로그램에 참여하고 있었습니다. 캠프 기반 NGO 의료 센터를 방문하기도 했지만 소용이 없었습니다."라고 그가 전화로 말했습니다.
“I had been participating in MHPSS programs long before Mocha. I even used to visit camp-based NGO healthcare centers, but to no avail,” he said over the phone.

콕스 바자르의 로힝야족 활동가인 모하메드 레주완 칸은 방글라데시의 로힝야족 난민들이 이용할 수 있는 MHPSS 프로그램이 비효율적이라고 말했습니다.
Mohammed Rezuwan Khan, a Rohingya activist in Cox’s Bazar, said that the MHPSS programs available to Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh are ineffective.

그는 VOA와의 인터뷰에서 "심각한 인권 침해의 희생자가 된 공동체로서 사이클론 이후 손상된 대피소를 수정할 수 없고 NGO로부터 거의 또는 전혀 도움을 받지 못하는 것은 우리를 침묵하고 보이지 않는 것처럼 느끼게 합니다,"라고 말했습니다.
“As a community that has been the victim of severe human rights abuse, not being able to amend our damaged shelters and receiving little to no aid from NGOs after the cyclone makes us feel voiceless and invisible,” he told VOA.

Fortify Rights 이사 Quinley는 "우리가 수년간 함께 일해온 난민 인권 옹호자들은 보호 서비스와 정신 건강 지원을 위한 느린 참조 경로를 인용했습니다. 난민들은 또한 UNHCR 핫라인의 응답 시간이 매우 느리며 이를 시급히 개선해야 한다고 Fortify Rights에 말했습니다.
Fortify Rights director Quinley said, “Refugee human rights defenders we have worked with over the years have cited slow referral pathways for protection services and mental health support. Refugees have also told Fortify Rights that the response times on the UNHCR hotline are extremely slow; this must be urgently improved.

"저는 지난달 방글라데시의 캠프를 방문했습니다. 난민들 사이에 절망감이 있었습니다. 전 세계 정부는 정신 건강 서비스를 포함하여 난민들의 인도주의적 요구를 계속 지원해야 합니다."라고 그가 말했습니다.
“I visited the camps in Bangladesh last month. There was a sense of hopelessness among refugees. Governments worldwide should continue to support the humanitarian needs of refugees, including mental-health services,” he said.

출처 : VOANews

댓글목록 0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

깨다커뮤니케이션 | 서울 서초구 방배중앙로 401호
광고 및 제휴문의 : [email protected]
Copyright © 깨다닷컴. All rights reserved.