[신년 인터뷰: 영 김 의원] “북한인권, 대북정책 우선순위에 둬야…북한인권법 재승인 법안 재발의할 것” > 정치

본문 바로가기

정치

[신년 인터뷰: 영 김 의원] “북한인권, 대북정책 우선순위에 둬야…북한인권법 재승인 법안 재발의할 것”
[New Year's Interview: Rep. Young Kim] "North Korean human rights should be prioritized in North Korea policy...Re-approval of the North Korean Human Rights Act will be re-issued."

페이지 정보

작성자 이조은 작성일 23-01-28 06:20 댓글 0

본문

영 김 미국 공화당 하원의원

영 김 미국 공화당 하원의원
Young Kim, U.S. House of Representatives

미국의 바이든 행정부는 대북 정책에서 북한 인권 문제를 우선순위에 둬야 한다고 공화당의 영 김 하원의원이 밝혔습니다. 김 의원은 27일 VOA와의 인터뷰에서 북한이 인권 문제에 진전을 보이지 않는다면 핵 포기 가능성도 낮을 것이라면서 이같이 말했습니다. 김 의원은 새 회기에 북한인권법 재승인 법안을 다시 발의할 것이라고도 밝혔습니다. 캘리포니아주의 김 의원은 의회 내 코리아스터디그룹 공동의장을 맡고 있습니다. 김 의원을 이조은 기자가 전화로 인터뷰했습니다.
Rep. Young Kim of the Republican Party says the Biden administration should prioritize North Korea's human rights issues in its North Korea policy. Rep. Kim said in an interview with VOA on the 27th, "If North Korea does not make progress on human rights issues, the possibility of giving up nuclear weapons will be low." Lawmaker Kim also said he will propose a bill to re-approve the North Korean Human Rights Act in the new session. Rep. Kim of California co-chair the Korea Study Group in Congress. Reporter Lee Jo-eun interviewed Rep. Kim over the phone.

기자) 지난해 북한의 미사일 발사가 전례 없는 수준으로 강행된 가운데 새해 김정은 위원장은 핵탄두 보유량을 기하급수적으로 증대할 것을 지시했습니다. 이런 발언을 어떻게 보시며 미국은 북한의 위협을 얼마나 심각하게 우려해야 한다고 생각하십니까?
Reporter) Amid the unprecedented level of North Korea's missile launches last year, Chairman Kim Jong-un ordered an exponential increase in nuclear warhead holdings in the new year. How seriously do you think the U.S. should be concerned about North Korea's threat?

김 의원) 한반도에 위협이 있을 때, 특히 북한이 전례 없는 수준으로 공격성을 증대하며 미사일 시험을 늘릴 때 우리는 반드시 그 위협을 심각하게 여겨야 합니다. 북한은 핵을 갖고 있기 때문입니다. 하지만 저는 북한이 바이든 대통령의 관심을 끌기 위해 이런 미사일 시험을 이어가고 있다고 느낍니다. 바이든 대통령의 임기 첫 해에 북한은 비핵화나 인권 개선 의지를 보이는 데 실패했습니다. 따라서 북한의 도발에 대응하기 위해서 바이든 대통령은 미국이 한반도의 장기적 변화를 위해 계속 압박을 가할 결의를 갖고 있다는 점을 한국과 북한에 확신시키기 위해 더 많은 일을 해야 합니다. 우리는 한국뿐 아니라 인도태평양 역내 다른 동맹국들과도 공조해 더 강력히 대응해야 합니다. 북한의 적대 정책과 기본적인 수준의 논의와 협력에 관여할 의지가 없다는 것이 용납되지 않는다는 점도 강조할 필요가 있습니다. 북한이 인권에 진정한 진전을 보이지 않는다면 어떻게 우리가 북한이 핵 포기 약속을 지킬 것으로 믿거나 검증할 수 있겠습니까?
Kim: We must take the threat seriously when there is a threat on the Korean Peninsula, especially when North Korea increases its aggression to an unprecedented level and increases its missile tests. Because North Korea has nuclear weapons. But I feel that North Korea is continuing these missile tests to attract President Biden's attention. In Biden's first year in office, North Korea failed to show its willingness to denuclearize or improve human rights. So to respond to North Korea's provocations, President Biden must do more to convince South Korea and North Korea that the United States is determined to continue to press for long-term changes on the Korean Peninsula. We need to respond more strongly not only with Korea but also with other allies in the Indo-Pacific region. It is also worth emphasizing that it is unacceptable that there is no willingness to engage in North Korea's hostile policy and basic level of discussion and cooperation. If North Korea does not make real progress on human rights, how can we trust or verify that North Korea will keep its promise to give up its nuclear weapons?

기자) 바이든 행정부가 북한 인권 문제를 뒷전으로 미루고 있다는 지적도 있습니다.
Some point out that the Biden administration is putting the North Korean human rights issue on the back burner.

김 의원) 바이든 대통령 재임 2년 동안 행정부는 인권 문제 개선에 힘쓸 것이라는 얘기를 많이 했습니다. 그러나 이런 약속이 충분히 이행되지는 않았다고 봅니다. 바이든 대통령은 아시아에서 매우 중요한 동맹국 중 한 곳인 한국 주재 미국대사 지명에 1년 이상을 기다렸고, 국무부 북한인권특사 지명에는 2년 이상 걸렸습니다. 저는 바이든 행정부가 이 두 직책을 채우는 데 관심을 갖도록 큰 목소리를 냈습니다. 이 자리들이 공석으로 남아있는 것은 동맹국에 잘못된 메시지를 주고 해외 인권 문제에 대한 우리의 노력을 약화하기 때문입니다. 바이든 행정부가 마침내 북한 인권 문제를 더 진지하게 다루는 걸음을 내디뎌 기쁘지만 해야 할 일이 더 많다고 생각합니다.
Rep. Kim) During the two years of Biden's presidency, the administration has said a lot that it will work to improve human rights issues. But I don't think these promises have been fully fulfilled. President Biden waited more than a year for the nomination of the U.S. ambassador to South Korea, one of Asia's most important allies, and it took more than two years for the State Department's special envoy on North Korean human rights. I spoke out loud to make the Biden administration interested in filling these two positions. These positions remain vacant because they send the wrong message to our allies and weaken our efforts on human rights issues abroad. I am happy that the Biden administration has finally taken a more serious step toward dealing with North Korean human rights issues, but I think there is more to be done.

기자) 줄리 터너 북한인권특사 지명자가 공식 임명되면 북한 인권 문제와 관련해 구체적으로 어떤 사안에 대해 협력하고자 하십니까?
If Julie Turner is officially appointed as the special envoy for North Korean human rights, what specific issues would you like to cooperate on regarding North Korean human rights issues?

김 의원) 먼저 특사를 통해 북한 인권 문제가 뒷전으로 밀리는 것이 아니라 관심을 받도록 할 수 있을 것입니다. 저는 북한인권특사 자리가 공석이 되지 않았으면 합니다. 무슨 일이 생겨도 이 자리가 법에 의해 채워지도록 해야 한다는 것입니다. 이런 규정이 담긴 북한인권법 재승인 법안을 저는 다시 발의할 계획입니다. 저는 또 북한인권특사가 미국에 살고 있는 10만여 명의 한국계 미국인들을 확인하고 이들이 다음 번 남북 이산가족 상봉에 포함될 수 있도록 한국 정부와 협력하길 원합니다. 지난 회기 제정된 미북 이산가족 상봉법을 통해 제가 동료 의원들과 협력했던 사안이기도 한데요. 다만 이 법은 한국계 미국인 커뮤니티와 논의해 북한에 가족을 둔 한인들을 확인하고 이들을 남북 이산가족 상봉에 포함하는 방안을 검토하라고만 하고 있습니다. 그러나 북한인권법 재승인 법안에는 법 제정 180일 이내 한국 정부, 한국계 미국인 커뮤니티와 논의하고 이에 대한 보고서를 제출하도록 요구하는 등 미북 이산가족 상봉이 이뤄지도록 하는 더 강력한 문구가 담겼습니다.
Rep. Kim) First of all, through the special envoy, the North Korean human rights issue can be brought to attention, not pushed back. I don't want the position of special envoy for North Korean human rights to be vacant. No matter what happens, this position must be filled by law. I plan to propose a bill to re-approve the North Korean Human Rights Act, which includes these regulations. I also want the special envoy for North Korean human rights to identify some 100,000 Korean-Americans living in the United States and work with the South Korean government to ensure that they are included in the next inter-Korean family reunion. It is also an issue that I cooperated with my fellow lawmakers through the U.S.-North Korea Family Reunion Act enacted in the last session. However, the law only requires discussions with the Korean-American community to identify Koreans with families in North Korea and to consider including them in the inter-Korean family reunions. But the bill calls for a stronger U.S.-North Korean family reunion, including discussions with the South Korean government and the Korean-American community within 180 days of the law's enactment and requiring them to submit reports on it.

기자) 북한인권법 재승인 법안은 새 회기 언제쯤 다시 발의할 계획이십니까?
When do you plan to re-propose the bill for re-approval of the North Korean Human Rights Act in the new session?

김 의원) 현재로선 적절한 시점을 찾고 있습니다. 이 사안을 관장하는 우리 외교위는 이제야 위원 구성 관련 회의를 마쳤고, 곧 소위원회 명단을 발표할 것입니다. 이후 각 소위원회는 회의를 통해 법안 발의 관련 시점을 검토할 것입니다. 저희는 법안이 의원들로부터 충분한 지지를 받고 최종 통과 가능성이 높은 초당적 법안이 되길 원합니다. 따라서 저는 6개월 안에, 아니면 여름이나 가을쯤 북한인권법 재승인 법안을 재발의하길 희망하고 있습니다. 그러나 다시 말하지만, 이 법안이 위원회를 통과하고 본회의까지 초당적으로 통과할 수 있도록 하기 위해 적절한 시점을 검토하는 것이 중요합니다.
Rep. Kim) We are currently looking for an appropriate time. Our Committee on Foreign Affairs, which is in charge of this matter, has finally finished its meeting on the composition of its members, and will soon announce the list of subcommittees. Sub-committees will then meet to review the timing of the bill's motion. We want the Bill to be a bipartisan bill with sufficient support from Members and a high probability of final passage. Therefore, I hope to re-issue the North Korean Human Rights Act within six months, or in the summer or fall. But once again, it is important to consider the appropriate timing to ensure that the Bill passes through the Commission and is bipartisan to the plenary session.

기자) 일각에서는 한국이 자체 핵무기를 보유해야 한다는 주장이 있습니다. 한국 윤석열 대통령도 최근 북한 핵 문제가 더 심각해질 경우 한국이 자체 핵을 보유할 수 있다는 발언을 했는데요. ‘한국 자체 핵무장’에 대해 어떤 견해를 갖고 계시며 미국은 이 문제를 어떻게 다뤄야 한다고 보십니까?
Some argue that South Korea should have its own nuclear weapons. South Korea's President Yoon Suk Yeol also recently said that South Korea could have its own nuclear weapons if the North Korean nuclear issue becomes more serious. What do you think about "Korea's own nuclear armament" and how do you think the U.S. should deal with this issue?

김 의원) 북한의 미사일 발사로 위협이 지속되는 가운데 한국 윤석열 대통령이 한반도에 전술핵무기 배치를 원한다는 입장을 시사한 것이 이해는 갑니다. 다만 이 사안은 옳고 그름에 관계없이 지금으로선 우리가 매우 신중하고 전략적으로 다뤄야 하는 문제라고 생각합니다. 이 문제에 책임을 갖게 될 미국 관료들과 진지한 대화를 나눠봐야 합니다. 무엇보다도 만약 한반도에 핵 공격과 같은 일이 생기면 미국은 이에 대응하고 한국을 보호하며 어떤 잠재적 공격도 억지할 역량이 있다는 점을 동맹국인 한국에 분명히 해야 합니다. 따라서 미국이 해야 할 일은 먼저 무기고 현대화를 지속하고 국제법에 따라 확장억제를 개선하는 것입니다. 미국은 북한의 공격에 대응하고 동맹국을 보호할 준비가 될 것이라는 점을 인도태평양에 있는 우방국들에 분명히 해 이들을 계속 안심시켜야 합니다.
Kim) I understand that the South Korean president Yoon Suk Yeol hinted that he wanted to deploy tactical nuclear weapons on the Korean Peninsula amid continued threats from North Korea's missile launch. However, regardless of whether it is right or wrong, I think it is a matter that we must deal with very carefully and strategically at this time. We need to have a serious conversation with the American officials who will be responsible for this. Above all, if something like a nuclear attack occurs on the Korean Peninsula, the U.S. must make it clear to its ally South Korea that it has the capacity to respond, protect South Korea, and deter any potential attacks. So what the United States needs to do is to first continue the modernization of armaments and improve extended deterrence under international law. The United States should continue to reassure its allies in the Indo-Pacific that it will be ready to respond to North Korean attacks and protect its allies.

기자) 미한일 3국 공조에 관해 얘기하고 싶은데요. 지난해 한국 윤석열 대통령 취임 이후 한일 양국 관계 개선 징후가 조금씩 보이고 있습니다. 바이든 행정부는 역내 중국의 부상하는 영향력에 대응하기 위해 동맹과의 양자, 다자 협력을 강조하고 있는데요. 이와 관련해 어떤 종류의 미한일 3국 협력을 기대하십니까?
I'd like to talk about trilateral cooperation between the U.S., South Korea, and Japan. Since the inauguration of South Korea's Yoon Suk Yeol last year, there have been signs of improvement in bilateral relations between Korea and Japan. The Biden administration is emphasizing bilateral and multilateral cooperation with the alliance to cope with China's rising influence in the region. In this regard, what kind of trilateral cooperation do you expect from the United States, Korea, and Japan?

김 의원) 중국 공산당의 점증하는 역내 영향력은 분명 우려를 야기하고 있습니다. 그래서 저는 우리가 한국과 일본 등 인도태평양 동맹국과 협력할 필요가 있다는 목소리를 높여 왔습니다. 다만 한국, 일본과 관련해서는 양국 사이에 오늘 날까지 이어지고 있는 매우 복잡한 역사가 있다는 점을 인식할 필요가 있습니다. 그러나 협력이 모든 역사적 논쟁에서 일본 정부에 양보해야 한다는 것을 의미하지는 않습니다. 전시 발생한 일들에 대한 인정과 책임에 관한 문제들은 여전히 남아있고 중요하며 그 어느 때보다도 관련이 있습니다. 그러나 민주주의 국가들인 우리는 모든 핵심 가치를 공유하고 규칙에 기반을 둔 국제 질서 보호를 추구합니다. 따라서 우리는 우리의 집단 안보를 위협하는 실존적 위험에 직면하기 위해 하나로 뭉쳐야 합니다. 따라서 중국의 위협에 맞서고 한반도 안전을 보장하기 위해서는 미국, 한국, 일본 3국 관계 강화가 필요합니다.
Mr. Kim: The growing influence of the Chinese Communist Party in the region is certainly causing concern. So I have been voicing the need for us to work with our Indo-Pacific allies, including Korea and Japan. However, regarding Korea and Japan, it is necessary to recognize that there is a very complicated history between the two countries that continues to this day. But cooperation does not mean that it should yield to the Japanese government in all historical debates. The issues of recognition and responsibility for what happened in the war remain and are important and more relevant than ever. But as democracies, we share all our core values and pursue rules-based protection of international order. We must therefore unite to face the existential risks that threaten our collective security. Therefore, it is necessary to strengthen trilateral relations between the United States, South Korea, and Japan to counter China's threats and ensure the safety of the Korean Peninsula.

기자) 미한 동맹이 올해로 70주년을 맞는데요. 양국 동맹이 앞으로 어떤 모습으로 발전하길 기대하십니까?
This year marks the 70th anniversary of the U.S.-Korea alliance. How do you expect the bilateral alliance to develop in the future?

김 의원) 한국은 매우 강력한 무역 파트너입니다. 한국전쟁 이후 한국의 발전은 놀랍습니다. ‘한강의 기적’이라고들 하죠. 한국을 다시 가 본 사람이라면 누구나 한국의 경제 발전에 놀랄 것입니다. 그러나 우리는 그것을 넘어설 필요가 있습니다. 저는 우리가 안보 동맹을 강화하는 한편 우리가 가지고 있는 무역, 경제 관계를 기반으로 계속 협력해야 한다고 생각합니다.
Korea is a very strong trade partner. The development of Korea after the Korean War is amazing. It's called the "Miracle of the Han River." Anyone who has been to Korea again will be surprised by the country's economic development. But we need to move beyond that. I think we should continue to work together on the basis of the trade and economic relations we have while strengthening our security alliance.

기자) 새해 118대 의회가 개원했습니다. 인도태평양, 특히 한반도 외교안보와 관련해 새 의회의 중점과 의원님의 외교위 활동 계획은 무엇입니까? 특히 새 회기 의원님이 하원 외교위 아태 소위원장을 맡게 되십니까?
The 118th Congress opened in the new year. What is the focus of the new Parliament on the Indo-Pacific, especially on diplomatic security on the Korean Peninsula, and what are your plans for the foreign affairs committee? In particular, will the new session member serve as the Asia-Pacific chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee?

김 의원) 오는 수요일 공식 발표가 있을 것입니다. 앞서 나가지 말고 기다려 봅시다. 다만 제가 외교위원회에서 더 큰 역할을 맡게 된다면 물론 인도태평양과 관련한 저의 우선순위에 중점을 두고 싶습니다. 제가 수년 동안 다뤄온 분야입니다. 인도태평양 지역에서 미국의 외교 정책 결정은 세계 무대에서 미국의 입지를 결정하는 데 중심적인 역할을 합니다. 미국의 국가안보는 우리의 삶을 보장하고 후대를 위한 ‘아메리칸 드림’을 보호합니다. 따라서 저희 우선순위는 전 세계 인권 증진을 위한 노력과 자유에 가치를 둔 국가에 대한 지원, 동맹국과의 자유 무역 강화가 될 것입니다. 물론 한국도 크게 연관돼 있습니다. 동시에 저는 우리의 적국들에 책임을 묻고 싶습니다. 미국의 말이 동맹국들에는 신뢰받고 적들에게는 두려움을 느끼게 하고 싶습니다.
There will be an official announcement on Wednesday. Let's not go ahead and wait. However, if I were to take on a larger role in the Committee on Foreign Affairs, I would, of course, like to focus on my priorities regarding the Indo-Pacific. It's an area I've been dealing with for years. In the Indo-Pacific region, US foreign policy decisions play a central role in determining America's position on the world stage. America's national security guarantees our lives and protects the 'American Dream' for future generations. Our priorities will therefore be efforts to promote human rights around the world, support for countries valued for freedom, and strengthening free trade with our allies. Of course, Korea is also very involved. At the same time, I want to hold our enemies accountable. I want the words of the United States to be trusted by our allies and feared by our enemies.

지금까지 미국 공화당 소속의 영 김 하원의원으로부터 대북 정책과 미한 동맹 현안에 대한 견해를 들어봤습니다. 인터뷰에 이조은 기자였습니다.
So far, we've heard from Rep. Young Kim, a member of the U.S. Republican Party, about North Korea policy and pending U.S.-Korea alliance issues. I was reporter Lee Jo-eun for the interview.

출처 : VOA한국

댓글목록 0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

깨다커뮤니케이션 | 서울 서초구 방배중앙로 401호
광고 및 제휴문의 : [email protected]
Copyright © 깨다닷컴. All rights reserved.