미국 상원 ‘북한인권법 재승인 법안’ 발의…루비오 의원 “북한 인권과 탈북민 보호 위해 모든 일 해야” > 정치

본문 바로가기

정치

미국 상원 ‘북한인권법 재승인 법안’ 발의…루비오 의원 “북한 인권과 탈북민 보호 위해 모든 일 해야”
The U.S. Senate proposes a bill to re-approve the North Korean Human Rights Act."We must do everything we can to protect North Korean human rights and North Korean defectors."

페이지 정보

작성자 이조은 작성일 22-05-13 07:30 댓글 0

본문

마르코 루비오 미국 공화당 상원의원.

마르코 루비오 미국 공화당 상원의원.
U.S. Republican Senator Marco Rubio.

북한인권법을 5년 더 연장하도록 하는 법안이 미국 하원에 이어 상원에서도 발의됐습니다. 법안을 대표 발의한 마르코 루비오 공화당 상원의원은 미국이 북한 인권과 탈북민 보호를 위해 할 수 있는 모든 것을 해야 한다고 강조했습니다. 이조은 기자가 보도합니다.
A bill to extend the North Korean Human Rights Act for another five years has been proposed in the Senate following the U.S. House of Representatives. Republican Senator Marco Rubio, who represented the bill, stressed that the United States should do everything it can to protect North Korean human rights and North Korean defectors. Reporter Lee Jo-eun reports.

미국 공화당의 마르코 루비오 상원의원이 12일 북한인권법 재승인 법안을 대표 발의했습니다.
U.S. Republican Senator Marco Rubio proposed a bill to re-approve the North Korean Human Rights Act on the 12th.

루비오 의원실 관계자는 이날 VOA에 이렇게 전하면서 민주당의 팀 케인 상원의원이 법안의 공동 발의자로 참여했다고 설명했습니다.
An official from Rubio's office told VOA on the same day, explaining that Democratic Senator Tim Kane participated as a co-sponsor of the bill.

이번 회계연도인 오는 9월 말 만료되는 북한인권법을 2027년까지 5년 더 연장하는 것이 법안의 핵심입니다.
The core of the bill is to extend the North Korean Human Rights Act, which expires at the end of September, for another five years until 2027.

VOA가 입수한 법안에는 대북 방송에 대한 지원을 유지하고 국무부 북한인권특사의 조속한 임명을 촉구하며, 탈북 난민에 대한 보호를 지속하도록 하는 내용이 담겼습니다.
The bill, obtained by the , calls for support for broadcasting to North Korea, calls for the early appointment of the State Department's special envoy for North Korean human rights, and continues to protect North Korean refugees.

또한 탈북 난민 송환 관련 제재를 승인하는 조항도 포함됐습니다.
It also included a clause approving sanctions on repatriation of North Korean defectors.

루비오 의원은 이날 VOA에 “북한이 계속해서 주민들의 존엄성을 무시하고 인권에 대한 존중을 전혀 보이지 않고 있는 가운데 북한인권법 재승인 법안을 발의해 자랑스럽다”고 밝혔습니다.
Rubio told VOA on the same day, "I am proud to propose a bill to re-approve the North Korean Human Rights Act while North Korea continues to ignore the dignity of its people and show no respect for human rights."

[루비오 의원] “As Pyongyang continues to disregard the dignity of its citizens and demonstrates no respect for human rights, I’m proud to introduce legislation to reauthorize the North Korea Human Rights Act. As a beacon for democracy, the United States must do all we can to support the cause of human rights in North Korea and assist those fleeing from the grip of the Kim regime. I urge my colleagues to ensure its swift passage in the Senate.”
[Rep. Rubio] "평양이 계속해서 시민들의 존엄성을 무시하고 인권을 존중하지 않는 것을 보여주면서, 저는 북한인권법을 재허가하기 위한 법안을 도입하게 된 것을 자랑스럽게 생각합니다. 미국은 민주주의의 등대로서 북한 인권의 대의를 지지하고 북한 정권의 손아귀에서 탈출하는 사람들을 돕기 위해 우리가 할 수 있는 모든 것을 해야 합니다. 상원에서 조속히 통과될 수 있도록 동료들에게 촉구합니다."

그러면서 “미국은 민주주의의 등대로서 북한 인권이라는 대의를 지지하고 북한 정권의 손아귀에서 탈출하는 사람들을 돕기 위해 할 수 있는 모든 것을 해야 한다”며 “상원에서 반드시 법안을 신속하게 통과시키도록 동료 의원들에게 촉구한다”고 밝혔습니다.
"As a lighthouse of democracy, the United States must do everything it can to support the cause of human rights in North Korea and help those who escape from the clutches of the regime," he said. "We urge our fellow lawmakers to pass the bill quickly."

케인 의원도 이날 VOA에 “북한 정권이 자행하고 있는 계속되는 인권 침해는 세계인권선언에 명시된 가치에 대한 직접적인 모욕”이라고 강조했습니다.
Kane also stressed to VOA that "the ongoing human rights violations committed by the North Korean regime are a direct insult to the values specified in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights."

[케인 의원] “The ongoing abuses being committed by the North Korean regime are a direct affront to the values enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. This bipartisan legislation will provide critical support for the North Korean people, who continue to have their most basic freedoms denied. Today and every day, I will push for initiatives that strengthen the rights and protect the dignity of the North Korean people.”
[Rep. Kane] "북한 정권이 자행하고 있는 인권침해는 세계인권선언에 명시된 가치에 대한 직접적인 모욕입니다. 이 초당적인 법안은 가장 기본적인 자유가 거부된 북한 주민들에게 중요한 지지를 제공할 것입니다. 오늘 하루도 빠짐없이 북한 주민의 존엄을 지키고 권리를 강화하는 이니셔티브를 추진하겠습니다."

그러면서 “이 초당적 법안은 가장 기본적인 자유가 거부된 북한 주민들에게 중요한 지원을 제공할 것”이라며 “오늘도, 그리고 매일 북한 주민들의 권리를 강화하고 존엄을 보호하는 일들을 추진할 것”이라고 밝혔습니다.
"This bipartisan bill will provide important support to North Koreans who have been denied the most basic freedoms," he said. "Today and every day, we will strengthen the rights of North Koreans and protect their dignity."

앞서 하원에서도 지난 3월 말 공화당의 영 김 의원 주도하에 민주당의 아미 베라 의원이 공동 발의자로 참여한 북한인권법 재승인 법안이 발의됐습니다.
Earlier in late March, the House of Representatives also proposed a bill to re-approve the North Korean Human Rights Act, which was co-sponsored by Rep. Amibera of the Democratic Party, led by Rep. Young Kim of the Republican Party.

김 의원은 상원 법안 발의를 환영하며 VOA에 “김정은은 평화를 약속하기보다는 권력을 보존하기 위해 주민들을 억압하고 굶주리게 하며 고문하는 김정일의 업적을 이어왔다”고 지적했습니다.
Kim welcomed the Senate bill and told VOA, "Kim Jong-un has continued his work of suppressing, starving and torturing residents to preserve power rather than promising peace."

[김 의원] “Rather than commit to peace, Kim Jong-un has continued his father’s legacy of oppressing, starving and torturing his own people to preserve his power and build nuclear weapons. The U.S. must stand strong against human rights abuses in North Korea. As an immigrant from South Korea with family members who fled North Korea, supporting the North Korean people is personal to me. I thank Senators Rubio and Kaine for introducing the Senate companion to the North Korean Human Rights Reauthorization Act of 2022 and look forward to our two chambers passing a final text into law.”
[Kim]. "김정은은 평화를 약속하기보다는 권력을 보존하고 핵무기를 만들기 위해 자국민을 억압하고 굶주리고 고문하는 아버지의 유산을 이어왔습니다. 미국은 북한의 인권 유린에 단호히 맞서야 합니다. 북한을 탈출한 가족과 함께 한국에서 온 이민자로서, 북한 사람들을 지원하는 것은 저에게 개인적인 일입니다. 루비오 상원의원과 케인 상원의원이 2022년 북한인권재인가법에 상원 동반자를 소개해 준 데 대해 감사드리며, 우리 양원이 최종안을 법안으로 통과시키기를 기대합니다.

그러면서 “미국은 북한의 인권 유린에 강하게 맞서야 한다”며 “북한을 탈출한 가족과 함께 한국에서 온 이민자로서, 북한 주민들을 지원하는 것은 나에게 개인적인 일이기도 하다”고 밝혔습니다.
"The U.S. should strongly confront North Korea's human rights abuses," he said. "As an immigrant from South Korea with his family who escaped from North Korea, it is also personal to me to support North Koreans."

이어 “법안이 상원과 하원에서 최종 통과되길 고대한다”고 덧붙였습니다.
He added, "I look forward to the final passage of the bill in the Senate and the House of Representatives."

북한인권법은 지난 2004년 미 의회가 처음 제정한 뒤, 세 차례에 걸쳐 재승인 돼 연장됐습니다.
The North Korean Human Rights Act was first enacted by the U.S. Congress in 2004, and has been re-approved and extended three times.

VOA 뉴스 이조은입니다.
I'm VOA News' Lee Joeun.

출처 : VOA한국

댓글목록 0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

깨다커뮤니케이션 | 서울 서초구 방배중앙로 401호
광고 및 제휴문의 : [email protected]
Copyright © 깨다닷컴. All rights reserved.