미국 공화당 대선주자인 밥 돌은 98세의 나이로 세상을 떠났습니다. > 정치

본문 바로가기

정치

미국 공화당 대선주자인 밥 돌은 98세의 나이로 세상을 떠났습니다.
Bob Dole, Longtime US Republican Figure, Dies at 98

페이지 정보

작성자 Ken Bredemeier 작성일 21-12-05 14:42 댓글 0

본문

FILE - Then-Republican presidential nominee Bob Dole and his wife Elizabeth wave to well-wishers at a rally in downtown Phoenix, Arizona, Oct. 25, 1996.

파일 - 공화당 대선 후보 밥 돌과 그의 부인 엘리자베스가 10월 애리조나주 피닉스 시내에서 열린 집회에서 지지자들에게 손을 흔들고 있습니다.
 FILE - Then-Republican presidential nominee Bob Dole and his wife Elizabeth wave to well-wishers at a rally in downtown Phoenix, Arizona, Oct. 25, 1996.

워싱턴입니다.
WASHINGTON —

심각한 부상을 입은 미군 밥 돌(Bob Dole)이 제2차 세계 대전의 전장에서 사망했으며 이후 수십 년 동안 미국 정계에서 고정관세가 된 채 일요일 98세의 나이로 세상을 떠났습니다.
Bob Dole, a severely wounded U.S. soldier left for dead on a World War II battlefield and who later became a fixture for decades on the American political scene, died Sunday at the age of 98.

돌은 중서부 대초원 주 캔자스 주의 평범한 아들로, 27년 동안 미국 상원에서 대표했으며, 공화당의 다수당 대표가 되었습니다.
Dole was the plain-spoken son of the Midwestern prairie state of Kansas, which he represented in the U.S. Senate for 27 years, rising to be the chamber’s Republican majority leader.

돌은 1976년 민주당 부통령 후보로 지명되었고, 20년 후 민주당의 빌 클린턴이 재선에 성공하면서 패배한 대통령 후보였습니다.
Dole was the party’s nominee for vice president in 1976 and two decades later its presidential candidate in a losing effort as Democrat Bill Clinton won re-election.

돌의 사망 소식은 그의 아내의 군 복무자들을 기리는 단체인 엘리자베스 돌 재단에 의해 발표되었습니다. 자다가 돌아가셨대요 돌은 거의 1년 전에 폐암이 진행되어 치료를 시작한다고 발표했습니다.
Dole’s death was announced by the Elizabeth Dole Foundation, his wife’s organization honoring the country’s military caregivers. It said he died in his sleep. Dole had announced almost a year ago that he had advanced lung cancer and was beginning treatment.

조 바이든 미국 대통령은 일요일 성명을 내고 "밥은 우리 역사상 소수만이 아닌 미국의 정치인이었습니다. 전쟁 영웅이자 가장 위대한 세대 중 하나죠 그리고 제게는 그는 제가 신뢰할 수 있는 지도자를 찾을 수 있는 친구이거나, 지친 신경을 진정시킬 수 있는 적절한 순간에 유머러스한 대사이기도 했습니다."
U.S. President Joe Biden issued a statement Sunday saying, “Bob was an American statesman like few in our history. A war hero and among the greatest of the Greatest Generation. And to me, he was also a friend whom I could look to for trusted guidance, or a humorous line at just the right moment to settle frayed nerves.”

바이든 부통령은 또한 돌은 "언제나 변함없는 진실성과 명예심을 가지고 있다"고 말했습니다.
Biden also said Dole “had an unerring sense of integrity and honor.”

이와는 별도로 낸시 펠로시 하원의장은 돌에게 경의를 표하기 위해 미 국회의사당에 조기를 게양하라고 지시했다고 드루 해밀 비서실장이 전했습니다.
Separately, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi ordered that flags at the U.S. Capitol be flown at half-staff as a tribute to Dole, according to her deputy chief of staff, Drew Hammill.

FILE - Former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole attends a ceremony at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, Virginia, Sept. 30, 2019.

파일 - 밥 돌 전 상원 원내대표는 9월 9일 버지니아 마이어 헨더슨 홀 합동기지 기념식에 참석합니다.
 FILE - Former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole attends a ceremony at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, Virginia, Sept. 30, 2019.

말년에 돌은 2차 세계대전 참전용사 세대의 용감함을 의인화하게 되었습니다. 그는 워싱턴 내셔널 몰에 2차 세계대전 기념비를 마련하기 위해 기금을 모았고, 종종 주말마다 이곳을 방문해 미국 2차 대전 참전 용사들의 마지막 방문을 맞이했습니다.
In his last years, Dole came to personify the bravery of the World War II generation of military veterans. He raised money for the World War II memorial on the National Mall in Washington and often visited the site on weekends to greet the last of the American World War II veterans visiting the site.

돌의 오른손은 이탈리아에서 나치군의 포격으로 전장에서 부상을 입어 쓸모없게 되었습니다. 그는 사람들이 정상적인 악수를 하는 것을 단념시키기 위해 오른손에 펜을 쥐는 동안 왼손으로 유권자들과 워싱턴 공직사회에 인사하는 데 수년을 보냈습니다.
Dole’s right hand was rendered useless by a battlefield injury under Nazi gunfire in Italy. He spent years greeting voters and Washington officialdom with his left while he clutched a pen tucked in his right hand to discourage people from a normal handshake.

돌은 그의 자서전 "한 병사 이야기"에서 1945년에 "박격포의 원형, 폭발하는 포탄, 기관총의 폭발로 인해, 저는 제 몸 속으로 빠져들었고, 땅을 조금 들어 올리고, 공중에서 비틀어 땅에 엎드렸습니다."라고 썼습니다.
In his autobiography, “One Soldier’s Story,” Dole wrote that in 1945, "As the mortar round, exploding shell, or machine gun blast — whatever it was, I'll never know —ripped into my body, I recoiled, lifted off the ground a bit, twisted in the air, and fell face down in the dirt.”

"오랫동안 저는 제가 죽었는지 살았는지 몰랐어요. 저는 맛본 것보다 입안의 흙을 더 많이 느꼈습니다. 저는 일어나서 얼굴을 들고 흙과 피를 입 밖으로 뱉고 싶었지만 움직일 수가 없었습니다."라고 그가 썼습니다.
“For a long moment I didn't know if I was dead or alive. I sensed the dirt in my mouth more than I tasted it. I wanted to get up, to lift my face off the ground, to spit the dirt and blood out of my mouth, but I couldn't move,” he wrote.

"저는 팔에 감각이 없는 채로 흙에 엎드렸습니다. 그때 공포가 엄습했어요. 목 아래로는 아무것도 느껴지지 않아요! 돌은 "당시엔 몰랐지만 무엇이 나를 덮쳤는지는 몰라도 어깨가 찢어져 쇄골과 오른팔이 부러지고 척추뼈에 부딪혀 척수가 손상됐다"고 회고했습니다.
“I lay face down in the dirt, unable to feel my arms. Then the horror hit me — I can't feel anything below my neck! I didn't know it at the time, but whatever it was that hit me had ripped apart my shoulder, breaking my collarbone and my right arm, smashing down into my vertebrae, and damaging my spinal cord,” Dole recounted.

정치 생활에서 돌은 더 보수적인 공화당원들과 자주 마찰을 빚었지만, 30년 이상 당의 고위 간부들 사이에 있었습니다. 그는 워싱턴에서 정치적 실용주의자로 여겨졌습니다.
In political life, Dole was often at odds with more conservative Republicans, but for more than three decades was among the party’s top officials. He was viewed in Washington as a political pragmatist.

Dole은 대통령 Lyndon Johnson의 많은 Great Society 프로그램에 반대했지만, 1964년의 시민권법과 1965년의 투표권법을 지지했습니다.
Dole opposed many of the Great Society programs of President Lyndon Johnson, but supported the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

1970년대 초, 돌은 당의 국가 의장이었고, 1976년 제럴드 포드 대통령의 부통령 러닝메이트였으며, 상원에서 리더십 역할을 했습니다.
In the early 1970s, Dole was the party’s national chairman, was the vice presidential running mate to President Gerald Ford in 1976 in his losing bid for a full elected term and held leadership roles in the Senate.

1996년 선거에서는 클린턴 대통령이 31개 주에서 19개 주를 얻어 손쉽게 재선에 성공했습니다.
In the 1996 election, President Clinton handily won re-election, capturing 31 states to 19 for Dole.

출처 : VOANews

댓글목록 0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

깨다커뮤니케이션 | 서울 서초구 방배중앙로 401호
광고 및 제휴문의 : [email protected]
Copyright © 깨다닷컴. All rights reserved.