역사적으로 흑인인 미국 학교가 대학 체조에 뛰어들어요 > 문화

본문 바로가기

문화

역사적으로 흑인인 미국 학교가 대학 체조에 뛰어들어요
Historically Black US School Leaps Into College Gymnastics

페이지 정보

작성자 Associated Press 작성일 23-01-06 04:15 댓글 0

본문

Fisk University gymnast Zyia Coleman waits to perform her uneven bars routine during a team practice at the Nashville Gymnastics Training Center, Dec. 28, 2022, in Nashville, Tenn.

피스크 대학의 체조선수 자이아 콜먼이 2022년 12월 28일 테네시 주 내슈빌의 내슈빌 체조 훈련 센터에서 팀 연습을 하는 동안 이단평행봉 루틴을 수행하기 위해 기다리고 있습니다.
 Fisk University gymnast Zyia Coleman waits to perform her uneven bars routine during a team practice at the Nashville Gymnastics Training Center, Dec. 28, 2022, in Nashville, Tenn.

Jordynn Cromartie는 고등학교 3학년에 접어들었고, 수 많은 흑인 체조 선수들이 수십 년 동안 직면해온 어려운 선택에 직면했습니다.
Jordynn Cromartie entered her senior year of high school facing a daunting choice, one countless other Black gymnasts have faced for decades.

휴스턴 출신의 이 십대는 역사적으로 흑인 대학에 다니고 싶었습니다. 그리고 그녀는 그녀의 삶의 대부분을 바쳐온 스포츠에서 경쟁하기를 원했습니다.
The teenager from Houston wanted to attend a historically Black college or university. And she wanted to compete in the sport she’s dedicated most of her life to.

한 가지 문제가 있습니다. 그녀는 크로마티가 테네시주 내슈빌에 있는 약 1,000명의 학생들로 구성된 사립 HBCU인 피스크 대학의 이사회 멤버인 그녀의 삼촌 프랭크 시몬스와 이야기를 나누면서 추수감사절 저녁 식사 중에 꺼낸 것, 둘 다 할 수 없다는 것을 알고 있었습니다.
One problem. She knew she couldn’t do both, something Cromartie brought up over Thanksgiving dinner while talking to her uncle, Frank Simmons, a member of the Board of Trustees at Fisk University, a private HBCU of around 1,000 students in Nashville, Tennessee.

크로마티는 "그와 내 이모는 '오, 당신은 결정을 내리지 않았어요, 당신은 피스크에 와야 해요,'라고 말했습니다." "저는 '음, 그들은 체조팀이 없어요.'라고 생각합니다 제가 평생 일할 수 있는 것이 없는 대학에 간다는 것은 저에게 미친 짓이었습니다."
“He and my aunt were like, ‘Oh you haven’t made a decision, you should come to Fisk,’” Cromartie said. “I’m like, ‘Well, they don’t have a gymnastics team.’ To go to a college that doesn’t have what I would be working for forever was crazy to me.”

놀란 시몬스는 조카에게 약속을 했습니다.
Simmons, stunned, made a promise to his niece.

그가 그녀에게 말했습니다. "제가 해낼 거예요."
“Watch,” he told her. “I’ll make it happen.”

몇 주 동안 시몬스는 애틀랜타에 본사를 둔 브라운 걸스 도 체조의 설립자인 데린 무어를 피스크의 이사회와 연결시켰습니다. 한 수탁자는 무어의 투구를 듣고 만약 피스크가 스포츠를 채택한다면 그 자리에서 10만 달러를 기부하겠다고 제안했습니다.
In the span of a few weeks, Simmons connected Derrin Moore — the founder of Atlanta-based Brown Girls Do Gymnastics, an organization that’d been trying to drum up support for an HBCU for years — with Fisk’s trustees. One trustee listened to Moore’s pitch and offered to make a $100,000 donation on the spot if Fisk adopted the sport.

그리고 겉보기에, 무어가 10년의 대부분을 HBCU가 점점 더 다양해지는 스포츠에 도전하도록 설득하는 동안 마주쳤던 모든 장애물과 오해는 순식간에 사라졌습니다.
And seemingly in a flash, all the roadblocks and misconceptions Moore had encountered while spending the better part of a decade trying to persuade an HBCU to take the leap on an increasingly diverse sport evaporated.

피스크가 처음부터 프로그램을 만들기로 약속한 지 불과 14개월 만인 금요일 오후 라스베가스의 올리언스 아레나에서, 현재 삼촌의 모교인 크로마티와 나머지 팀원들은 NCAA 여자 체조 대회에 참가하는 최초의 HBCU가 되면 역사에 남을 것입니다. 불독스는 오클라호마, UCLA, 미시간과 같은 영원한 NCAA 파워를 포함하는 슈퍼 16 대회의 일환으로 남부 유타, 노스 캐롤라이나, 워싱턴과 경쟁할 것입니다.
On Friday afternoon at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, barely 14 months after Fisk committed to building a program from the ground up, Cromartie — now a freshman at her uncle’s alma mater — and the rest of her teammates will make history when they become the first HBCU to participate in an NCAA women’s gymnastics meet. The Bulldogs will compete against Southern Utah, North Carolina and Washington as part of the inaugural Super 16, an event that also includes perennial NCAA powers like Oklahoma, UCLA and Michigan.

저는 흑인 소녀들도 할 수 있다는 것을 보여주는 것이 좋은 것 같습니다," 라고 크로마티가 말했습니다. "우리 팀은 100% 유색인종으로 구성된 팀을 운영하고 있으며, 여러분은 어디에서도 이를 본 적이 없습니다." 저는 우리가 증명해야 할 요점이 있다고 생각합니다."
“I feel like it’s nice to show that Black girls can do it, too,” Cromartie said. “We have a team that’s 100% of people of color and you’ve never seen that before anywhere. ... I feel like we have a point to prove.”

Fisk University gymnastics team gathers in a circle for a cheer during practice at the Nashville Gymnastics Training Center on Dec. 28, 2022, in Nashville, Tenn.

피스크 대학 체조팀이 2022년 12월 28일 테네시 주 내슈빌의 내슈빌 체조 훈련 센터에서 연습하는 동안 원에 모여 응원하고 있습니다.
 Fisk University gymnastics team gathers in a circle for a cheer during practice at the Nashville Gymnastics Training Center on Dec. 28, 2022, in Nashville, Tenn.

고난도 여자 체조의 면모가 바뀌고 있습니다. 유색인종 운동선수들이 수십 년 동안 스포츠의 최고 수준에서 뛰어났지만, 부분적으로 올림픽 챔피언 개비 더글라스와 시몬 바일스의 인기 덕분에 흑인 운동선수들의 참여는 지난 10년 동안 급증했습니다.
The face of high-level women’s gymnastics is changing. While athletes of color have excelled at the sport’s highest level for decades, participation among Black athletes has spiked over the last 10 years thanks in part to the popularity of Olympic champions Gabby Douglas and Simone Biles.

NCAA Division I 수준에서 흑인 체조 선수가 장학금의 약 10%를 차지하며, 이는 더글러스가 흑인 여성 최초로 올림픽 금메달을 획득한 2012년의 7%에서 증가한 것입니다. USA 체조 회원의 10% 이상이 스스로 흑인이라고 주장합니다.
Black gymnasts account for around 10% of scholarships at the NCAA Division I level, an increase from 7% in 2012, when Douglas became the first Black woman win to Olympic gold. More than 10% of USA Gymnastics members self-identify as Black.

이는 코린 타버가 1989년 조지아에서 NCAA 종합 우승을 차지한 최초의 흑인 여성이 되었을 때보다 큰 폭으로 뛰어오른 것입니다.
It’s a massive jump from when Corrinne Tarver became the first Black woman to win an NCAA all-around title at Georgia in 1989.

"처음 학교에 갔을 때 (검은 체조 선수들이) 흩어져 있었습니다."라고 현재 피스크의 수석 코치이자 운동 감독인 타버가 말했습니다. "이 팀에 한 명, 저 팀에 한 명이 있습니다." 그 당시에는 오늘날에 비해 아프리카계 미국인 체조 선수들이 많지 않았습니다."
“When I first went to school, there were a scattering of (Black gymnasts),” said Tarver, now the head coach and athletic director at Fisk. “One on this team, one on that team ... there wasn’t a lot of African-American gymnasts around back then compared to today.”

그럼에도 불구하고, Umme Salim-Beasley가 1990년대 초에 대학 선택권을 탐구하기 시작했을 때 그녀는 당황했습니다. Salim-Beasley는 워싱턴 D.C. 지역에서 자랐고 4번의 올림픽 메달리스트인 Dominique Dawes와 같은 체육관에서 경쟁했습니다. 살림-비즐리는 HBCU에 가고 싶어했어요. 그녀가 대학 박람회에서 HBCU 채용 담당자에게 다가가 자신이 체조 선수라고 말했을 때, 그녀가 받은 반응은 충격을 주었습니다.
Still, it caught Umme Salim-Beasley off guard when she began exploring her college options in the early 1990s. Salim-Beasley grew up in the Washington, D.C., area and competed in the same gym as four-time Olympic medalist Dominique Dawes. Salim-Beasley wanted to go to an HBCU. When she approached an HBCU recruiter at a college fair and told the recruiter she was a gymnast, the response she received shocked her.

"그들은 그것을 유색인종 여성들을 위한 스포츠로 보지 않았습니다,"라고 웨스트 버지니아에서 경쟁을 끝내고 현재 럿거스의 수석 코치인 Salim-Beasley가 말했습니다. "그리고 그것은 체조가 유색인종 여성들에게 환영받거나 충분한 관심을 가지고 있는 스포츠가 아니라는 인식이었습니다."
“They didn’t see it as a sport for women of color,” said Salim-Beasley, who ended up competing at West Virginia and is now the head coach at Rutgers. “And that was the perception, that gymnastics was not a sport that was welcoming or had enough interest from women of color.”

이것은 Fisk의 첫 수업에 대한 반응을 훨씬 더 보람 있게 만들었습니다.
Which has made the response to Fisk’s inaugural class even more rewarding.

브라운 걸스 두 체조의 자문 위원회 멤버인 무어와 살림-비즐리는 수년 동안 HBCU 육상 관계자들과의 탐색적 인터뷰를 마련하는 데 어려움을 겪었습니다. Fisk의 프로그램이 시작된 이후 몇 달 동안 Moore와 Salim-Beasley는 9개의 HBCU에서 회장들과 대화를 나눴습니다.
For years, Moore and Salim-Beasley — a member of the advisory council at Brown Girls Do Gymnastics — would struggle just to set up exploratory interviews with HBCU athletics officials. In the months since Fisk’s program launched, Moore and Salim-Beasley have talked to presidents at nine HBCUs.

"사람들은 정말 관심이 많습니다," 무어가 말했습니다. "그들은 여전히 많은 질문을 가지고 있고 여전히 방아쇠를 당기지 않고 있지만, 그들은 손을 내밀고 있습니다
“People are really interested,” Moore said. “They still have a lot of questions and still not pulling the trigger, but they are reaching out.”

이 모든 것이 Fisk를 부러운 도전의 장소에 놓이게 합니다. 이 프로그램은 다른 HBCU들이 멀리서 Fisk가 프로그램 출시와 함께 오는 거대한 물류 및 경제적 장애물을 어떻게 처리하는지를 보는 일종의 베타 테스트입니다.
All of which puts Fisk in an enviable if challenging spot. The program is a beta test of sorts as other HBCUs watch from afar to see how Fisk handles the massive logistical and economic hurdles that come with launching a program.

불독스는 캠퍼스 내 시설이 없고, 비록 그들이 곧 그것을 해결하기를 희망하는 기금을 모으고 있지만, 현재 캠퍼스에서 몇 마일 떨어진 클럽 체육관에서 훈련하고 있습니다. 그들은 NCAA 상태가 정리되기를 기다리는 동안 무소속으로 올해 경쟁하고 있습니다.
The Bulldogs don’t have an on-campus facility and are currently training at a club gym a few miles from campus, though they are fundraising in hopes of remedying that soon. They are competing this year as an independent while waiting to get their NCAA status sorted out.

Fisk University gymnast Jordynn Cromartie performs her floor exercise routine during a team practice at the Nashville Gymnastics Training Center on Dec. 28, 2022, in Nashville, Tenn.

피스크 대학의 체조 선수 Jordynn Cromartie가 2022년 12월 28일 테네시 주 내슈빌의 내슈빌 체조 훈련 센터에서 팀 연습을 하는 동안 바닥 운동 루틴을 수행하고 있습니다.
 Fisk University gymnast Jordynn Cromartie performs her floor exercise routine during a team practice at the Nashville Gymnastics Training Center on Dec. 28, 2022, in Nashville, Tenn.

그리고 타버는 즉시 그 프로그램을 수영장 깊은 곳에 던졌습니다. 그들의 취임식 일정에는 미시간, 조지아, 럿거스에서의 회의가 포함됩니다.
And Tarver immediately threw the program into the deep end of the pool. Their inaugural schedule includes meets at Michigan, Georgia and Rutgers.

타버는 "강하지 않은 학교에 입학하고 우리의 전체 일정을 그렇게 만든 다음 그저 최선을 바라는 것이 정말 쉬웠을 것입니다,"라고 말했습니다. "하지만 저는 그렇게 하고 싶지 않았어요. 저는 그들이 그 무대에 소속되어 있다는 것을 깨닫기를 원했습니다."
“It would have been really easy to just put in schools that were not as strong and then make our whole schedule like that and then just hope for the best,” Tarver said. “But I didn’t want to do that. I wanted them to realize that they belong on that stage.”

그런 식으로, 타버는 지난 봄 Zoom에서 몇 시간 동안 젊은 유색인종 여성들에게 이전에는 존재하지 않았던 것을 믿으라고 요청했던 채용 광고를 끝까지 수행하고 있습니다.
In that way, Tarver is following through on her recruiting pitch last spring, when she spent hours on Zoom asking young women of color to believe in something that had never existed before.

"기본적으로, 저는 그들을 꿈에 던졌습니다,"라고 타버는 말했습니다. "저는 그들에게 그들이 역사의 일부가 될 것이라고 말했습니다. 그들의 이름은 역사상 최초의 HBCU로 기록될 것입니다."
“Basically, I pitched them on the dream,” Tarver said. “I told them they’ll be a part of history. Their names will go down in history as the first HBCU ever.”

그것은 타버가 상상했던 것보다 훨씬 쉽게 팔리는 것으로 판명되었습니다.
It proved to be a far easier sell than Tarver imagined.

모건 프라이스는 처음에 그녀의 언니 프랭키와 경쟁할 수 있도록 아칸소에 헌신했습니다. 그러나 Fisk가 2023년에 경쟁한다는 야심찬 단계를 밟을 것이라고 발표하자 Price는 기회에 끌렸다고 느꼈습니다.
Morgan Price initially committed to Arkansas so she could compete with her older sister, Frankie. Yet once Fisk announced it was going to take the ambitious step of competing in 2023, Price felt drawn to the opportunity.

"우리가 첫 번째이기 때문에, 그것은 일종의 특별합니다,"라고 프라이스는 말했습니다. "우리는 그것을 처음부터 다시 만들 수 있습니다."
“Since we are the first, it’s kind of special,” Price said. “We get to build it from the ground up.”

그리고 네, 첫 번째가 되는 특권은 아프지 않습니다. 몇몇 불독들이 가을에 제니퍼 허드슨의 토크쇼에 출연했습니다. 에미상을 수상한 한 다큐멘터리 제작자가 시즌 내내 그들을 따르고 있습니다. 소셜 미디어에서 큰 인기를 끌고 있습니다.
And yes, the perks of being the first don’t hurt. Several Bulldogs appeared on Jennifer Hudson's talk show in the fall. An Emmy-winning documentarian is following them throughout the season. The splash on social media has been sizable.

실생활에서도 돌풍이 불고 있습니다. 프라이스가 피스크에게 헌신한 직후 텍사스에 있는 클럽 체육관으로 돌아왔을 때, 그녀는 질문으로 그녀를 괴롭힐 때 젊은 유색인종 체조 선수들로부터 느낀 에너지가 분명했습니다.
So has the splash in real life. When Price returned to her club gym in Texas shortly after committing to Fisk, the energy she felt from younger gymnasts of color as they peppered her with questions was palpable.

"그들은 저에게 '저는 HBCU 체조선수가 될 수 있도록 채용될 때까지 기다릴 수 없습니다'라고 말했습니다."라고 Price는 말했습니다.
“They were telling me, ‘I can’t wait until I can be recruited so I can be an HBCU gymnast as well,’” Price said.

그것이 큰 그림 계획입니다. 무어는 몇몇 HBCU 학교들이 곧 피스크의 전철을 밟을 것이라고 낙관하고 있습니다.
That’s the big-picture plan. Moore is optimistic several HBCU schools will follow in Fisk’s footsteps soon.

그들이 처음은 아닐 것입니다. 그 영광은 금요일에 처음으로 심판들에게 경례할 파란색과 금색 표범을 입은 여성들에게 돌아갈 것입니다. 타버가 말했듯이 "그들이 잘하지 못했다는 것을 들은 배경에서 온" 선수들로 가득 찬 팀이 역사를 만들었기 때문입니다.
They just won’t be the first. That honor will go to the women in the blue-and-gold leotards who will salute the judges for the first time Friday, as the team filled with athletes who “come from backgrounds where they were kind of told that they weren’t as good,” as Tarver put it, makes history.

더 이상 유산과 기회 사이에서 선택할 필요가 없는 운동선수들입니다.
Athletes who no longer have to choose between heritage and opportunity.

크로마티는 "이미 HBCU이기 때문에 우리는 약자입니다,"라고 말했습니다. "우리는 연습할 시간이 많지 않았어요. 우리는 아직 다른 학교들의 자원을 가지고 있지 않습니다... 하지만 우리는 우리가 다른 모든 학교들을 따라잡을 수 있다는 것을 증명하기를 열망합니다. 우리가 속한다는 것을요."
“Already being an HBCU, we’re the underdogs,” Cromartie said. “We haven’t had much time to practice. We don’t have the resources of other schools yet ... but we are eager to prove we can keep up with everyone else. That we belong.”

출처 : VOANews

댓글목록 0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

깨다커뮤니케이션 | 서울 서초구 방배중앙로 401호
광고 및 제휴문의 : [email protected]
Copyright © 깨다닷컴. All rights reserved.