페이지 정보

작성자 Associated Press 작성일 21-10-16 01:45 댓글 0

본문

MeToo Four Years In

미투 포이어스 인
 MeToo Four Years In

뉴욕이요.
NEW YORK —

샬롯 베넷에게 이번 주에 그녀의 맨하탄 아파트에 도착한 새 책, 아니타 힐의 "Believeing"은 단순히 성 폭력에 대한 것 이상의 것이었습니다.
To Charlotte Bennett, the new book that arrived at her Manhattan apartment this week — Anita Hill's "Believing" — was more than just a look at gender violence.

아주 특별한 자매결연을 하는 동료의 파견이었습니다. 힘있는 남자들의 손에서 받은 부정행위를 묘사하기 위해 나선 여성들 말입니다.
It was a dispatch from a fellow member of a very specific sisterhood — women who have come forward to describe misconduct they suffered at the hands of powerful men.

베넷이 앤드류 쿠오모 뉴욕 주지사에 의해 괴롭힘을 당했다는 이야기는 조사 결과 적어도 11명의 여성을 괴롭혔다는 사실이 밝혀지면서 그의 사임으로 이어졌습니다. 그리고 30년 전 이달 힐은 회의적인 상원 법사위원회에서 클라렌스 토마스가 자신을 성추행했다고 증언했습니다.
Bennett's story of harassment by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo helped lead to his resignation after an investigation found he'd harassed at least 11 women. And 30 years ago this month, Hill testified before a skeptical Senate Judiciary Committee that Clarence Thomas had sexually harassed her.

저는 1991년에 어떤 일이 있었는지 상상할 수 없습니다,"라고 26세의 베넷은 말했다. "저는 그것에 대해 많이 생각했어요."“
"I can't imagine what it was like doing that in 1991," said Bennett, 26. "I've thought about that a lot."

힐의 역사는 분명히 #MeToo 운동보다 앞서 있는데, 이번 주에 4년 만에 성적인 부정행위에 대한 광범위한 사회적 판단입니다. 하지만 베넷의 순간은 매우 중요한 부분이고, 그녀는 #미투가 힐 차관보가 나섰던 1991년 이후 지형의 근본적인 변화에 크게 책임이 있다고 믿고 있습니다.
Hill's history obviously predates the #MeToo movement, the broad social reckoning against sexual misconduct that reaches its four-year mark this week. But Bennett's moment is very much a part of it, and she believes #MeToo is largely responsible for a fundamental change in the landscape since 1991, when Hill came forward.

"저는 이제 우리가 믿게 되었다고 생각하고 싶습니다,"라고 베넷은 인터뷰에서 말했습니다. "차이점이 있다면, 우리는 청중들에게 무슨 일이 일어났다는 것을 납득시키지 못하고 그것이 우리에게 영향을 미쳤다는 것을 설득하려고 애쓰고 있다는 것입니다. 저는 우리가 신뢰성에 대한 것이 아니라 사과할 필요가 없는 곳에 와 있다고 생각합니다."
"I'd like to think that now, we are believed," Bennett said in an interview. "That the difference is, we are not convincing our audience that something happened and trying to persuade them that it impacted us. I would really like to think we're in a place now where it's not about believability — and that we don't have to apologize."

하지만 쿠오모 행정부의 전 보건 정책 보좌관이었던 베넷에게, 그녀가 용기를 내어 나서게 한 것은, 그리고 이전의 고발자의 주장을 뒷받침한 것은, 또한 그녀가 서로를 후원하는 생존자 사회의 일부라는 느낌이었습니다.
But for Bennett, a former health policy aide in the Cuomo administration, what emboldened her to come forward — and bolster the claims of an earlier accuser — was also the feeling that she was part of a community of survivors who had each other's back.

"저는 앞으로 나서기가 정말 두려웠습니다."라고 베넷이 말했습니다. "하지만 그 공포의 순간에도 저를 안심시킨 것은 제 앞에 샬롯 대 주지사가 아니라 앞으로 나아가는 운동이었다는 것입니다. 그리고 저는 직장이나 다른 곳에서 성적인 부정행위에 대한 하나의 작은 사건이고 하나의 작은 계산입니다."
"I was really scared to come forward," Bennett said. "But something that reassured me even in that moment of fear was that there were women before me … (it wasn't) Charlotte versus the governor, but a movement, moving forward. And I am one small event and one small piece of reckoning with sexual misconduct, in workplaces and elsewhere."

Charlotte Bennett, a former health policy aide to former Gov. Andrew Cuomo, speaks during an interview in New York, Oct. 12, 2021.

앤드류 쿠오모 전 주지사의 전 보건정책 보좌관인 샬롯 베넷이 10월 뉴욕에서 가진 인터뷰에서 연설하고 있습니다.
 Charlotte Bennett, a former health policy aide to former Gov. Andrew Cuomo, speaks during an interview in New York, Oct. 12, 2021.

변화를 느끼는 것은 베넷만이 아니라는 증거가 있습니다. 거물 하비 와인스타인에 대한 놀라운 폭로에 이어, 배우 알리사 밀라노가 괴롭힘을 당하거나 폭행을 당한 사람들에게 이야기를 나누거나 "나도 그래"라고 답하는 그녀의 바이러스성 트윗을 보낸 지 4년 만에, 대부분의 미국인들은 이 운동이 더 많은 사람들이 부정 행위에 대해 목소리를 내도록 자극했다고 생각합니다.
There's evidence Bennett is not alone in feeling a shift. Four years after actor Alyssa Milano sent her viral tweet asking those who'd been harassed or assaulted to share stories or just reply "Me too," following the stunning revelations about mogul Harvey Weinstein, most Americans think the movement has inspired more people to speak out about misconduct, according to a new poll.

AP통신-NORC 공공문제연구센터의 여론조사에 따르면, 54%의 미국인은 자신이 성적 비위의 피해자라면 더 목소리를 낼 가능성이 있다고 답했습니다. 그리고 조금 더, 58%가 만약 그들이 그것을 목격한다면 말할 것이라고 말했습니다.
About half of Americans — 54% — say they personally are more likely to speak out if they're a victim of sexual misconduct, according to the poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research. And slightly more, 58%, say they would speak out if they witnessed it.

MeToo-Four Years Later-Speaking Out

미투-4년 후가 말을 꺼냅니다
 MeToo-Four Years Later-Speaking Out

여성의 62%가 최근 이 문제에 대한 관심으로 인한 성적 비리의 피해자일 경우 목소리를 낼 가능성이 더 높다고 답한 데 비해 남성의 44%는 더 높았습니다. 또한 여성이 남성보다 63% 대 53%로, 목격자라면 공개적으로 말할 가능성이 더 높습니다.
Sixty-two percent of women said they are more likely to speak out if they are a victim of sexual misconduct as a result of recent attention to the issue, compared to 44% of men. Women also are more likely than men to say they would speak out if they are a witness, 63% vs 53%.

앨버커키의 소니아 몬토야(65)는 트럭 수리점에서 17년 동안 유일한 여성 사무장으로 일하며 성차별적인 잡담을 하곤 했습니다. 하지만 2016년 도널드 트럼프 대통령 후보가 여성에 대해 말하는 투박한 방식에 대한 뉴스가 보도되자, 그녀는 이제 그만 참았음을 깨달았습니다. 그녀는 존경을 요구했고 #MeToo 운동이 일어나자 동료들로부터 변화를 촉구했습니다.
Sonia Montoya, 65, of Albuquerque, used to take the sexist chatter in stride at the truck repair shop where she's worked as the office manager — the only woman — for 17 years. But as news broke in 2016 about the crude way presidential candidate Donald Trump spoke about women, she realized she'd had enough. She demanded respect, prompting changes from her colleagues that stuck as the #MeToo movement took hold.

"사람들이 (직장에서) 말하는 방식은 잔인했어요. 그것은 생소했습니다,"라고 자신을 무소속 유권자이자 정치적 온건파라고 묘사하는 여론조사 참가자 몬토야는 말했습니다. "이런 움직임과 인식이 나온 이후, 그들은 훨씬 더 존경심이 있고 그들이 특정한 것을 말하기 전에 다시 한번 생각합니다."
"It used to be brutal, the way people talked (at work). It was raw," said Montoya, a poll participant who describes herself as an independent voter and political moderate. "Ever since this movement and awareness has come out, the guys are a lot more respectful and they think twice before they say certain things."

콜로라도 스프링스에 사는 20세의 EMT인 저스틴 호튼은 #미투 운동이 고등학교 3학년 동안 폭발적으로 증가하면서 태도가 바뀌기 시작했다고 말했습니다.
Justin Horton, a 20-year-old EMT in Colorado Springs who attends a local community college, said he saw attitudes start to change as the #MeToo movement exploded during his senior year of high school.

그는 너무 자주 여성을 객관화하는 문화에도 불구하고 자신과 같은 남성이 여성을 존중하는 것이 더 쉬워졌다고 생각합니다. 그리고 그는 사람들이 남성들도 성희롱을 당할 수 있다는 것을 깨닫기를 바랍니다.
He thinks it's now easier for men like him to treat women with respect, despite a culture that too often objectifies them. And he hopes people realize that men can be sexually harassed as well.

"영구적인 영향을 끼친 것 같습니다."라고 그가 말했습니다. "저는 사람들이 더 자각하고 있다고 느낍니다."
"I feel like it's had a lasting impact," he said. "I feel like people have been more self-aware."

미국인의 절반 가까이가 최근 성적 부정행위에 대한 관심이 미국 전체에 긍정적인 영향을 미쳤다고 말했습니다. 이는 부정행위에 대한 응답자 수의 약 2배인 45% 대 24%로 나타났습니다. 2020년 1월까지만 해도, 미국인들은 이 운동이 미국에 미치는 영향에 대해 대략 분열되어 있었습니다.
Close to half of Americans say the recent attention to sexual misconduct has had a positive impact on the country overall — roughly twice the number that say it's been negative, 45% vs. 24%, the poll shows. As recently as January 2020, Americans were roughly split over the impact of the movement on the country.

그럼에도 불구하고, 유색인종 여성에 대한 긍정적인 변화가 일반 여성에 비해 적은 수의 미국인들만이 나타나는 등, 그 영향이 불평등하다는 징후들이 있습니다. 그것은 #미투 운동이 유색인종 여성을 덜 포함시켰다는 잦은 비판과 맞물려 있습니다.
Still, there are signs the impact has been unequal, with fewer Americans seeing positive change for women of color than for women in general. That dovetails with frequent criticism that the #MeToo movement has been less inclusive of women of color.

#미투의 설립자인 타라나 버크는 지난 달 AP통신과의 인터뷰에서 "우리는 그 분야에서 거의 충분히 움직이지 않았습니다."라고 말했습니다.
"We haven't moved nearly enough" in that area, #MeToo founder Tarana Burke told The Associated Press in an interview last month.

AP-NORC 여론조사에서도 세대 차이가 나타났습니다. 30세 미만의 미국인들 중 더 많은 수가 자신이 피해자일 경우, 63%의 노인과 51%의 비율로 더 목소리를 낼 가능성이 있다고 답했습니다. 그리고 30세 미만의 성인 중 67%가 성적인 비행을 목격할 경우 목소리를 낼 가능성이 더 높다고 답했고, 56%의 노인과 비교해서 말입니다.
The AP-NORC Poll also showed generational differences: More Americans under 30 said they're more likely to speak out if they are a victim, compared with older adults, 63% vs. 51%. And 67% of adults under 30 said they were they are more likely to speak out if they witness sexual misconduct, compared with 56% of those older.

말하는데 대가가 있습니다. 베넷은 쿠오모가 사임했음에도 불구하고 자신의 행동에 대해 진정한 책임을 지지 않고 있으며, 그래서 그녀의 투쟁은 계속되고 있다고 말했습니다.
There is a price for speaking out. Bennett said Cuomo, despite having resigned, is still not taking true responsibility for his actions, and so her struggle goes on.

"그는 여전히 우리의 신용을 떨어뜨리려고 노력합니다."라고 그녀가 말했습니다. "그리고 저는 지칠 대로 지쳤어요. 정말 끔찍한 경험이었어요.
"He's still willing to try and discredit us," she said. "And I am at a point where I'm exhausted. This has been a horrible experience."

베넷 씨는 63세의 쿠오모 씨가 대학 시절 성폭행 경험이 성생활에 영향을 미쳤는지, 성관계에 대해 물었고 20대 여성들과 사귀는 것이 편하다고 말했습니다. 쿠오모 씨는 성적인 접촉을 부인하면서 자신의 질문은 생존자로서의 자신의 배경에 우호적이고 동정심을 가지려는 시도였다고 말했습니다. 그는 자신의 가슴을 더듬었다고 자신을 비난한 보좌관을 포함한 다른 여성들의 부적절한 접촉 혐의를 부인했습니다.
Bennett has said the 63-year-old Cuomo, among other comments, asked if her experience with sexual assault in college had affected her sex life, asked about her sexual relationships, and said he was comfortable dating women in their 20s. Cuomo denies making sexual advances and says his questions were an attempt to be friendly and sympathetic to her background as a survivor. He's denied other women's allegations of inappropriate touching, including an aide who accused him of groping her breast.

베넷은 사직하고 두 달 후에 어떻게 지내나요? 그녀는 멈칫하며 대답합니다: "괜찮아요. 하루하루가 힘들어요. 슬픈 일이죠. 당신의 일부분이 필요합니다. 하지만요... 매번 같은 결정을 내리곤 했어요. 제가 공직에 있었던 이유는 좋은 시민이 되고, 환원하고, 옳은 일을 하고, 기여하기 위해서였습니다. 제 역할을 이렇게 보지 못했는데, 그렇게 됐어요. 괜찮아요. 당당하게 나서서 이겨낼 수 있을 것 같아요.
How is Bennett doing, two months after the resignation? She replies haltingly: "I'm doing OK. Every day is hard. It's sad. It takes a piece of you a little bit. But ... I would make the same decision every single time. The reason I was in public service was to be a good citizen and give back and do the right thing and contribute. I didn't see my role like this, but that's what it turned into. And that's OK. I'm proud of myself for coming forward, and I will get through it."

그녀는 앞으로 30년 후에 나라가 어디에 있을지에 대해 생각합니다.
She muses about where the country might be in three more decades.

아니타 힐의 경험을 되돌아보는 것은 30년이 얼마나 긴 시간인지를 이해하는 좋은 방법이라고 생각합니다," 라고 그녀가 말했습니다.
"I think reflecting on Anita Hill's experience is a great way to understand how long 30 years is," she said.

"그래서 다음 큰 변화는 어떤 느낌일까요? 불편을 끼쳐드린 것에 대해 사과하는 것이 아니라고 생각합니다. 여기 앉아서 사과할게요 하지만 저는 우리가 사과하지 않고, 그렇게 할 수 있는 수단과 능력이 있다면 나서는 것이 우리의 임무인 곳으로 가고 싶습니다."
"So what do I feel like the next big change will be? I think it's just not apologizing for being inconvenient. I could sit here and apologize. But I want to get to a place … where we're not apologizing, where it's our job to come forward if we have the means and ability to do so."

그리고 #MeToo 운동은, 앞으로 나서는 여성들을 위한 "연착륙 장소"가 아니라, 커뮤니티가 되어야 한다고 그녀는 말했습니다.
And the #MeToo movement, she said, should be not only a community, not only "a soft landing place" for women who come forward.

"그곳은 리더의 출신이어야 합니다."라고 베넷은 말했습니다. "우리는 기관들이 어떻게 행동하는지 알고 있습니다. 우리는 이러한 기관들의 약점을 누구보다 잘 알고 있습니다. 우리는 그것을 고칠 많은 해결책을 가지고 있고 우리는 협상 테이블에 앉아야 합니다.
"It should it be where leaders come from," Bennett said. "We know how institutions act. We know the underbelly of these institutions better than anyone. We have a lot of solutions to fix it and we should be at the table.

"저희 테이블이어야 합니다."
"It should be OUR table."

출처 : VOANews

댓글목록 0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

깨다커뮤니케이션 | 서울 서초구 방배중앙로 401호
광고 및 제휴문의 : [email protected]
Copyright © 깨다닷컴. All rights reserved.