환경운동가 폴 왓슨, 포경선의 재앙, 바다로 돌아옵니다 > IT/과학

본문 바로가기

IT/과학

환경운동가 폴 왓슨, 포경선의 재앙, 바다로 돌아옵니다
Eco-warrior Paul Watson, Scourge of Whalers, Returns to the Seas

페이지 정보

작성자 Jay Heisler 작성일 22-11-24 14:08 댓글 0

본문

FILE - Paul Watson, founder of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, made famous by the television show

파일 - 텔레비전 쇼 "고래 전쟁"으로 유명해진 바다 양치기 보존 협회의 설립자 폴 왓슨이 8월 버몬트주 우드스톡에 있는 그의 집 사무실에서 포경 반대 활동에 대한 최근의 법적 투쟁에 대해 논의하고 있습니다.
 FILE - Paul Watson, founder of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, made famous by the television show "Whale Wars" discusses a recent legal battle over anti-whaling activities, at his home office in Woodstock, Vermont, Aug. 23, 2016.

캐나다 핼리팩스입니다.
HALIFAX, Canada —

캐나다계 미국인 환경운동가 폴 왓슨 씨는 자신이 설립한 시 셰퍼드 자연보호단체에서 쫓겨나 새로운 배와 선원들과 함께 사업을 재개할 준비가 되어 있으며, 세계 포경선과 세계 바다의 약탈자로 간주되는 다른 사람들을 다시 괴롭힐 준비가 되어 있다고 말했습니다.
Canadian-American eco-warrior Paul Watson, ousted from the Sea Shepherd conservationist organization he founded, says he is back in business with a new ship and crew and is ready to resume tormenting the world’s whalers and others he sees as despoilers of the world’s oceans.

왓슨은 이달 초 디지털 발표에서 "낙하된 후 완전히 회복됐고 공해상에서 전투에 복귀할 준비가 됐다"고 선언했습니다. "새로운 캡틴 폴 왓슨 재단이 여기에 왔고 우리의 바다와 지구에 해를 끼칠 것으로 보이는 모든 적들을 공격적으로 대할 준비가 되어 있습니다."
“After being knocked down, we have fully recovered and we’re ready to return to battle on the high seas,” Watson declared in a digital announcement earlier this month. “The new Captain Paul Watson Foundation is here and it’s ready to aggressively take on all enemies that look to do harm to our ocean and our planet.”

왓슨은 포경선을 부수고 침몰시키거나 프로펠러를 오염시키는 등의 공격적인 전술로 인해 여러 대륙에서 법적 분쟁을 겪고 있는 환경 운동에서 가장 논란이 많은 인물 중 한 명입니다. 그의 업적 중 일부는 애니멀 플래닛에서 방영된 리얼리티 TV 시리즈 고래 전쟁에서 묘사되었습니다.
Watson is among the most controversial figures in the environmental movement, in and out of legal trouble on several continents over aggressive tactics, which have included ramming and sinking or fouling the propellers of whaling vessels. Some of his exploits have been portrayed in the reality TV series Whale Wars, shown on Animal Planet.

"직접 행동"에 대한 그의 옹호는 1977년 그가 초기 회원이었던 그린피스 이사회에서 쫓겨나게 했고, 그가 바다에 대한 예외로 포경을 금지했음에도 불구하고 조업하는 노르웨이, 일본, 아이슬란드 포경업자들의 재앙으로 악명을 얻었습니다.rch입니다.
His advocacy of “direct action” led to him being ousted in 1977 from the board of Greenpeace, where he was an early member, and his founding of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society where he gained notoriety as a scourge of Norwegian, Japanese and Icelandic whalers, who operate despite global ban on whaling under an exception allowing for research.

그의 가장 극적인 행동 중 하나는 그의 사회 구성원들에 의해 아이슬란드의 항구에서 두 척의 포경선이 침몰한 것이었는데, 이는 왓슨이 개인적인 책임을 주장한 행동이었습니다. 그의 경력 동안, 비록 그가 중대한 범죄로 유죄 판결을 받은 적은 없지만, 그러한 전술은 캐나다, 미국, 코스타리카, 노르웨이 그리고 일본에서 법적 조치로 이어졌습니다.
Among his most dramatic actions was the sinking of two whaling vessels in a harbor in Iceland by his society members – an action for which Watson claimed personal responsibility. Over his career, such tactics led to legal action in Canada, the United States, Costa Rica, Norway and Japan, although he has never been convicted of a major crime.

FILE - Whaling ships which are set to join the resumption of commercial whaling leave a port in Kushiro, Hokkaido Prefecture, Japan, July 1, 2019.

파일 - 상업 포경 재개에 동참할 포경선들이 2019년 7월 1일 일본 홋카이도현 구시로시의 항구를 떠나고 있습니다.
 FILE - Whaling ships which are set to join the resumption of commercial whaling leave a port in Kushiro, Hokkaido Prefecture, Japan, July 1, 2019.

그럼에도 불구하고, 그것은 시 셰퍼드의 동료 이사진들에게 모두 부담이 되었고, 그는 그를 이사회에서 제외하고 그의 활동을 제한했고, 그는 7월에 그 그룹과의 모든 관계를 끊었습니다.
Nevertheless, it all became too much for his fellow board members at Sea Shepherd, who removed him from the board and limited his activities, leading him to cut all ties with the group in July.

왓슨은 VOA와의 전화 인터뷰와 후속 이메일에서 "저는 소외되었고 그들이 대립적이고 논쟁적인 캠페인에서 벗어나 조직의 방향을 바꾸었기 때문에 유료이고 조용한 인물이 되라는 말을 들었습니다,"라고 말했습니다.
“I was marginalized and told to be a paid and quiet figurehead as they changed the direction of the organization away from confrontational and controversial campaigns,” Watson told VOA in a telephone interview and follow-up emails.

"저는 이 변화에 참여하거나 지지할 수 없다고 말했습니다. Sea Sherpherd는 Oceana나 Greenpeace가 되어서는 안 됩니다. 우리의 접근 방식은 항상 공격적이고 직접적인 행동이어야 합니다."
“I said I could not participate or support this change. Sea Shepherd should not be Oceana or Greenpeace. Our approach should always be aggressive, direct action.”

그는 이를 위해 선장 폴 왓슨 재단을 설립하고 "우리 해군을 재건할 것입니다. 저는 그것을 해왕성의 해군이라고 부릅니다."
To that end, he has established the Captain Paul Watson Foundation and, he said, “We’re going to rebuild our navy. I call it Neptune’s Navy.”

왓슨은 최근 영국에서 존 폴 드조리아라는 이름의 새 배를 구입했으며, 지금까지 대부분 엔지니어인 7명의 승무원을 맡았다고 말했습니다. "저는 또한 두 척의 배가 더 필요합니다."라고 그는 말했고, 그는 주로 전직 시 셰퍼드 장교들과 선원들을 포함하여 그와 함께 항해할 "수십 명의" 지원자들이 있습니다.
Watson said he recently completed the purchase in Britain of a new ship, to be named the John Paul DeJoria, and, so far, has taken on seven crew members, mostly engineers. “I am also looking for two additional ships” he said, and he has “a few dozen” applicants to sail with him, mainly former Sea Shepherd officers and crew.

1986년 상업 포경이 금지된 이후 NGO 고래 및 돌고래 보호 단체에 따르면 4만 마리에 가까운 대형 고래를 죽인 포경선에 대한 추적을 재개할 것으로 예상하느냐는 질문에 그는 "항상입니다. 포경을 근절하는 것이 제 평생의 야망이었습니다."
Asked whether he expects to resume his pursuit of whaling ships, which according to the NGO Whale and Dolphin Conservation, have killed nearly 40,000 large whales since commercial whaling was banned in 1986, he replied, “Always. It has been my lifetime ambition to eradicate whaling.”

또한 그는 과거에 그의 비평가들을 격분시킨 전술을 누그러뜨릴 계획도 없습니다.
Nor does he plan to tone down the tactics that have outraged his critics in the past.

"내가 왜 그런 생각을 하겠어요? 저는 공격적인 비폭력의 접근법을 확립했고 그것이 효과적이기 때문에 그것이 계속해서 저의 주요 전략입니다. 저는 반세기가 넘도록 제 접근 방식을 바꾸지 않았습니다."라고 그가 VOA에 말했습니다.
“Why would I consider doing that? I established the approach of aggressive non-violence and that continues to be my primary strategy because it is effective. I have not changed my approach for over half a century,” he told VOA.

포경선을 충돌시키는 것에 대해, "그것은 상황, 즉 법적 지위, 위치 및 물류에 따라 다릅니다. 2013년 이후로 배를 들이받은 적은 없지만 항상 가능성이 있습니다."
As for ramming whaling ships, “That depends on the situation, i.e. legal status, location and logistics. I have not rammed a ship since 2013 but it’s always a possibility.”

하지만 그는 "우리는 아무도 다치게 하지 않을 것입니다. 저는 평생 누구에게도 상처를 준 적이 없습니다."
But, he maintained, “We’re not going to injure anyone. I’ve never injured anyone in my entire career.”

그 사실은 한때 시 셰퍼드 사회를 "에코 테러리스트" 조직으로 규정했던 일본 정부를 포함하여 왓슨을 비판하는 사람들을 진정시키는 데 거의 도움이 되지 않았습니다.
That fact has done little to assuage Watson’s critics, including the Japanese government, which once labeled the Sea Shepherd society an “eco-terrorist” organization.

"미국 법원은 시 셰퍼드들이 배를 들이받고, 산 용기를 던지고, 다른 공격적인 행동을 한 역사를 고려한 후에 그들을 '해적'이라고 선언했습니다," 라고 일부 환경 및 동물 권리 단체에 회의적인 시선을 보내는 미국에 본부를 둔 조직 연구 및 교육 센터의 릭 버먼 전무가 말했습니다.
“A U.S. court declared Sea Shepherds to be 'pirates' after considering their history of ramming ships, hurling containers of acid, and other aggression,” noted Rick Berman, executive director of the U.S.-based Center for Organizational Research and Education, which casts a skeptical eye on some environmental and animal rights groups.

버먼은 VOA와의 이메일 교환에서 "폴 왓슨이 자신에게 좋은 이유가 있다고 주장하는 것을 들었을 때, ISIS도 같은 말을 한다는 것을 기억하세요,"라고 말했습니다.
“When you hear Paul Watson claim he has a good cause, just remember ISIS says the same thing," Berman told VOA in an email exchange.

한편, 왓슨은 환경 보호자로서의 역할로 파리에서 쥘 베른 상을 수상했으며 타임지에 의해 20세기의 환경 영웅 상위 20명 중 한 명으로 선정되었습니다.
On the other side of the ledger, Watson has been presented in Paris with a Jules Verne Award for his role as a protector of the environment and was named by Time magazine among the Top 20 environmental heroes of the 20th century.

그 운동가는 어느 나라에서나 중죄로 유죄 판결을 받는 것을 피할 수 있는 그의 능력에 대한 대중의 지지를 믿고 있습니다.
The activist credits public support for his cause for his ability to avoid having ever been convicted of a felony in any country.

그의 단체가 1986년에 아이슬란드 포경선 두 척을 난파한 지 몇 년 후에, 그는 아이슬란드로 날아가 그 범죄에 대한 입건을 요청했습니다. "그들은 나를 비행기에 태웠습니다."라고 그가 말했습니다. "아이슬란드는 저를 재판에 회부하는 것이 그들의 불법 행위로 재판에 회부하는 것이라는 것을 알고 있었습니다."
Years after his organization scuttled the two Icelandic whaling vessels in 1986, he flew to Iceland and asked to be booked for the crime. “They put me on a plane,” he said. “Iceland knew to put me on trial would be to put themselves on trial for their illegal activities.”

하지만, 그는 왜 다른 많은 자연보호론자들이 그와 거리를 두고 싶어하는지 이해한다고 말했습니다.
But, he said, he understands why many other conservationists want to keep him at arm’s length.

"우리는 해양 보존 운동 내에서 특정한 틈새를 메웁니다."라고 그가 이메일을 보냈습니다. "우리는 모두를 위한 것이 아닙니다. … 비록 많은 사람들이 조용히 우리가 하는 일에 동의하고 지지하지만, 그들은 낮에 우리와 함께 있는 것을 보는 것을 주저합니다."
“We fill a specific niche within the marine conservation movement,” he emailed. “We are not for everyone. … Although many quietly agree and support what we do, they are hesitant to be seen with us in the light of day.”

출처 : VOANews

댓글목록 0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

깨다커뮤니케이션 | 서울 서초구 방배중앙로 401호
광고 및 제휴문의 : [email protected]
Copyright © 깨다닷컴. All rights reserved.